Fed-ex shipping discount offered to eBay sellers

As a CDN legacy user seller on eBay, I noticed the Fed-ex shipping discount they offering us sellers does not always post the same as the amt offered rate? Example Buyer pays 15.00 regular shipping, Fed-ex offered to ship at a big discount, of say only 10.00. Of course I will give buyer better shipping with fed-ex, plus they paid for regular shipping, and seller get the saving offered by Fed-ex. But here the problem. Fed-ex posted rate offered, get posted on my ebay transaction list in seller hub, sometimes weeks later? The amount charged, does not always agree with the amount originally offered? Anyone else having this problem?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It's a big problem and not only is with FedEx but Canada Post labels through ebay. Even if you over estimate weight and dimensions the charge can still be higher than quoted when you buy the label. FedEx has a huge amount of hidden surcharges and Canada Post has a volumetric rate. If you were to ship a large empty box or with something light like a pillow, they would charge you not by the weight or size that you calculated but according to what they think the item "should" weigh with those dimensions. It's ridiculous but nothing can be done. However, Ebay is aware of the problem they say and are working on some kind of solution.

You can voice your opinion to them here.

ebaylabels@ebay.ca

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

When you bought the shipping label, what price was on your invoice from FedEx?

Don't trust the advertising, especially with FE, which has a lot of sneaky practices.

This one sure sounds like a bait and switch.

BTW when the buyer sees your label, I believe he sees either no price or the counter price, not your discounted rate (if any).

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

When you bought the shipping label, what price was on your invoice from FedEx?

Don't trust the advertising, especially with FE, which has a lot of sneaky practices.

This one sure sounds like a bait and switch.

BTW when the buyer sees your label, I believe he sees either no price or the counter price, not your discounted rate (if any).

@jewelbay 

@femmefan1946 

This unfortunately is a major peril when a service is released without an actual rate sheet/built in calculator.  You can't have 1 without the other. Like working blind. Why I am nervous to even consider offering it and why I asked where the calculator was when it was released. 

-Lotz

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

When a price shows up on the label I bought online, it doesn't include tax and fuel surcharge*. Which is really anoying, because then buyer thinks I overcharged him!

* With Canada Post

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

It's a big problem and not only is with FedEx but Canada Post labels through ebay. Even if you over estimate weight and dimensions the charge can still be higher than quoted when you buy the label. FedEx has a huge amount of hidden surcharges and Canada Post has a volumetric rate. If you were to ship a large empty box or with something light like a pillow, they would charge you not by the weight or size that you calculated but according to what they think the item "should" weigh with those dimensions. It's ridiculous but nothing can be done. However, Ebay is aware of the problem they say and are working on some kind of solution.

You can voice your opinion to them here.

ebaylabels@ebay.ca

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

the label I bought online, it doesn't include tax and fuel surcharge

At one time, when mammoths walked the earth, we could choose to have no price show on our shipping labels.

In those innocent times, many thought this was evil and others didn't care.

Does the label show what you paid (which would often be discounted) or the counter rate?
I would hope the latter because otherwise somewhere down the line a busybody clerk might return a valid, fully paid parcel as short paid.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply