First time dealing with a non-responsive buyer wanting a return

I sold a diecast model car and the buyer opened up a case on October 11 saying there is something wrong with the item so they'd like to return it. Specifically said it is missing parts or pieces. I followed up that same day to ask which pieces are missing and to provide pictures. Nothing. I followed up again today and nothing as of yet but I have until October 18 at which point i may have to offer a full refund without getting the item back according to eBay? Some BS if you ask me. What if the buyer decides not to say anything? 

Also, in my resolution center this case does not pop up, only when I go into my subsection of sold items the return part is highlighted which was strange. 

What do you recommend from here? I am awaiting these pictures as I know the car had all the parts and was in perfect condition (which can be exemplified in my in depth listing photos). 

Thank you!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Don't wait for that deadline and don't wait for photos. If you wait your buyer will escalate to eBay.

Simply approve the return, apologize for any trouble and send a label. Don't bother trying to fight in this case. If the buyer doesn't return the item, then you can call eBay and close the case.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

eBay doesn’t require that a buyer provide proof that an item is not as described.  If you do nothing and the buyer asks eBay to step in, there is a chance that you will have to refund without a return and you would receive an unresolved case defect. If you accept a  return and send a return label you won’t have to refund until you receive the item back and won’t receive a defect.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Appreciate the responses. How do I get/send a shipping label? Im in Toronto, Canada and the buyer is in Minnesota, USA. Never done this before

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I haven't done so but apparently you can do a USPS label on Shippo.  I'm not sure if you would sign in with a Shippo/ebay account or a separate Shippo account but I know there is at least one poster who is more familiar with it than I am so hopefully they will reply.

@femmefan1946 

As long as the packaging is less than 4lbs, the buyer can send the package back with first class international and when you do the label, make sure you mark in the customs info that it is returned merchandise so that Canada customs won't tax you on it.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I used a new transaction, because I rarely use labels and even more rarely use Shippo.

The cheapest TRACKED service is First Class International PACKAGE.  Not fciLetter.  Be careful about that, since tracking is necessary on a return.

You may also have to pay with a credit card, because I don't think Shippo takes Paypal.

If the unhappy buyer does not use the label, eventually it will be credited to you.  Eventually.

In my case, the buyer did not use the label and I won the case because he did not return the item.  (I suspect he was haggling for a partial refund, or hoping that I would not be able to send a label and therefore lose the case.)

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Also if you shipped through Paypal they allow a certain amount of free returns a year so even then it could cost you very little...found this out last year after our Shippo Account was hacked and we had to stop using Shippo....never again lol

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Shippo may accept credit cards I don' know.

However, if you register with them using your ebay account all label purchases are debited from the same PayPal account that is on file for that ebay account. It is worth noting that if a label purchase is cancelled for any reason, Shippo does not refund cash back to the user's PayPal account. Instead, they issue a credit to the user's Shippo account that can be used to purchase a label(s) at some future date. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

How do you make a return label through paypal?
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@unique-attic-treasures wrote:

Also if you shipped through Paypal they allow a certain amount of free returns a year so even then it could cost you very little...found this out last year after our Shippo Account was hacked and we had to stop using Shippo....never again lol

What do you mean they allow a certain amount of free returns per year? 

They do have a buyer program that allows a buyer to get compensate for shipping on some cases ...are you referring to that?  

Message 10 of 10
latest reply