Free shipping? How do they do it?!

I was looking at some listings that offer free shipping within Canada, such as this one - it's ostensibly being sent via Canada Post service - but I've looked around at shipping rates and can't understand how they make it work... I can't find CP rates that aren't equal to or greater than the item cost as far as I can tell...

I have some small items of a similar nature that I would like to sell, but I have no idea where they are getting the shipping rates inexpensive enough to justify it with regards to the total cost of the item.

If I were selling these spinners or something similar size and weight, how would I do what they're doing on shipping?

Where are they getting these rates that they can do that?

Are they shipping them in something other than a regular bubble mailer that makes it work? I don't know.

Maybe I'm ignorant of something, maybe I'm missing something, any help or ideas?

Thanks in advance!!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I have a very simple solution for you: BUY ONE.

Once you receive it you will have the information you need about shipping.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

You know, that makes perfect sense 🙂

I'm foolish not to have done it already.

I'll see what I can learn and let you know if I have any other questions, thank you.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

They are probably being sent letter mail at a cost of under $2. Looks like China stuff so acquisition costs will be minimal.

Probably still a decent return on his investment.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

His $9.45 selling price includes the cost of shipping.

If the item weighs 50 grams and is less than 2cm thick, it moves by LetterMail for $1.80.

Free Shipping, in other words, isn't.

BTW-- he may be shipping from China. Canada Post would still be delivering the toy under the terms of the Universal Postal Union Tready of 1874.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@neonpanther wrote:

I was looking at some listings that offer free shipping within Canada, such as this one - it's ostensibly being sent via Canada Post service - but I've looked around at shipping rates and can't understand how they make it work... I can't find CP rates that aren't equal to or greater than the item cost as far as I can tell...

That item certainly looks smaller than 2cm thick so it can be sent as oversize lettermail in Canada.

000-100g .. $1.80
101-200g .. $2.95
201-300g .. $4.10
301-400g .. $4.70
401-500g .. $5.05

plus tax.  And costs less than that if they ship using discounted stamps.

Flat rate anywhere in Canada. No tracking, no insurance. Great for lots of stuff.

-..-

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Thanks guys. To be clear, do they for sure let you send items via lettermail (within those weight ranges) that are plastic/metal and not only media mail type material? My assumption was not, but I guess they do?

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Within Canada you can send by Canada Post just about anything as lettermail if under 2cm and 500g

If shipping outside Canada, the rules are different.

Correspondence can be sent letterpost while "merchandise" should technically be sent "light packet" if under 2cm and 500g

Please invest a few minutes of your time and get more information from your local post office or postal station.

Good Luck.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I certainly will, thank you.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

torontonian - I looked again at some of your recent listings and the tax information is still incorrect.  I suggest you take the time to consult with your accountant or CRA to get the correct information and revise your listings accordingly.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

What do you mean? I've set it up so that eBay calculates the tax based on the buyer's location.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

" I've set it up so that eBay calculates the tax based on the buyer's location. "

Yes but it is your responsibility to give eBay the correct information.

For example, your listing states charging 12% HST to BC (from Ontario).  That is incorrect.

Taxable items going to BC should be charged 5% GST only.

To Saskatchewan your listing shows 11%.  Once again it should only be 5% GST when shipping taxable products from Ontario.

Since you are GST/HST registered, you should have that information from CRA.  If not, consult your accountant.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Thank you, you are right. I have revised my listings.
Message 13 of 13
latest reply