HELP!Ebay Sellers---Sole proprietorship or Incorporate in British Columbia?

anspa84
Community Member

Hi...I am a new Ebay seller who is very ambitious...I live in Vancouver, British Columbia...I am planning to set up my Ebay store based on dropshipping model and will be selling to US customers for the most part...May I know if I should start as a sole proprietorship or Incorporate in British Columbia right from the start? The reason I am asking about Incorporating in Canada because it provides protection to my personal assets from any lawsuits from any buyer in a worst case scenario. There is no protection in operating a sole proprietorship. Also may I know what is the best way to avoid double taxation being a Canadian Ebay seller doing business on Ebay US website? Per my research online, an Ebay seller in Canada has to file US tax return if he earns income greater than $20,000 for any given year since Paypal will inform IRS anyways if my income exceeds $20,000 per my research. I will easily exceed $20,000 since being a Ebay seller will be my only source of income so I am committed to it.Since Canadian residents are supposed to report their worldwide income for tax filing purpose at the end of the year, this means that I will ALSO have to file for Canadian tax return ON TOP OF US tax return.So how do I avoid double taxation?

Also I cam to know that opening LLC in USA is a very bad tax choice for a Canadian resident so not sure what to do here.I was initially planning to open LLC in USA but the overhead expenses are way too high for me so not sure if I should even thinking about opening LLC in USA ever in future for my Ebay business.Any helpful responses for this situation will be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

mcrlmn
Community Member

From a baby-boomer to a millennial...

Start with eBays's free listings or a basic store.

See how it goes before throwing a pile of money into the wind.

Christmas shopping season is almost upon us and a great opportunity to get your feet wet.

It might be just a tad early to incorporate.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@anspa84 wrote:

Hi...I am a new Ebay seller who is very ambitious...I live in Vancouver, British Columbia...I am planning to set up my Ebay store based on dropshipping model and will be selling to US customers for the most part...May I know if I should start as a sole proprietorship or Incorporate in British Columbia right from the start? The reason I am asking about Incorporating in Canada because it provides protection to my personal assets from any lawsuits from any buyer in a worst case scenario. There is no protection in operating a sole proprietorship. Also may I know what is the best way to avoid double taxation being a Canadian Ebay seller doing business on Ebay US website? Per my research online, an Ebay seller in Canada has to file US tax return if he earns income greater than $20,000 for any given year since Paypal will inform IRS anyways if my income exceeds $20,000 per my research. I will easily exceed $20,000 since being a Ebay seller will be my only source of income so I am committed to it.Since Canadian residents are supposed to report their worldwide income for tax filing purpose at the end of the year, this means that I will ALSO have to file for Canadian tax return ON TOP OF US tax return.So how do I avoid double taxation?

Also I cam to know that opening LLC in USA is a very bad tax choice for a Canadian resident so not sure what to do here.I was initially planning to open LLC in USA but the overhead expenses are way too high for me so not sure if I should even thinking about opening LLC in USA ever in future for my Ebay business.Any helpful responses for this situation will be greatly appreciated!

My, you really are new, aren't you.  And where, exactly, did you do all this "research"? 

If you live in Canada you don't need to worry about the IRS.  That is for Americans.  You need only concern yourself with the CRA, - tax collection for Canadians.  Focus your research on Canadian issues.  You don't file 2 tax returns.  Ever.  When you live and sell in Canada (despite a lot of bad jokes, Vancouver is still part of Canada) you file with the Canada Revenue Agency every year.  Canadians do not file their income tax with the US. 

So you are going to "easily" exceed $20,000 are you.  When?  I am sure your research will have led you to eBay's policy on selling limits:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/sellinglimits.html

You do not collect taxes on your sales unless you are registered with the Canadian government to do so.  Adding on tax willy-nilly is illegal if you are not registered to collect it.  Once you start to rake in MORE than $30,000 per year  you will want to look further into that.  You pay income tax on your income, but only when you exceed more than $30,000 in business sales do you register as a business and start to charge other Canadians (not Americans or anyone else) tax on the items they buy. 

And this one:  lawsuits from a buyer???   Never heard of such a thing.  What could you possibly be planning to do that is so heinously unpardonable that a buyer will pursue you through the courts rather than just file a claim for Item Not as Described in the Resolution Center of eBay's buyer protection plan? 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I am planning to set up my Ebay store based on dropshipping model and will be selling to US customers for the most part

You are not likely to have any tax issues because I doubt that much more than 1% of Canadian sellers using that business plan last more than a few months.

Unless you have some special contacts with suppliers who have exclusive items which they don't already sell (direct or via other "dropshippers") their products on eBay (or elsewhere online) you are probably doomed.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@anspa84 wrote:

Hi...I am a new Ebay seller who is very ambitious...I live in Vancouver, British Columbia...I am planning to set up my Ebay store based on dropshipping model and will be selling to US customers for the most part...

With the utmost respect, I think you are getting way ahead of yourself, and have some serious misconceptions and erroneous information.  How much reading have you done about selling on eBay?

Everything the other posters have said is absolutely valid, including all the points mentioned by 'i-am-vivian'.  Please take that advice to heart before you throw money into this venture.  

For the most part, drop-shipping is a fool's game -- someone else will be making your profit, and control of inventory and shipping will usually be out of your hands.  This can cause serious trouble on eBay unless you have an unusually favourable drop-shipping arrangement.  

The two cardinal sins on eBay are inability to ship due to being out of stock, and late delivery.  Drop-shipping is usually the quickest way to get stuck with these defects.  And when you're just starting out, those defects can put you out of business pretty fast.  Even if you can avoid these issues, there is, as 'recped' mentions, the whole problem of competition with such goods.  Drop-shipping suppliers remind me of scavengers -- they suck the profit out of a "client" as far as possible, then move on to the next victim.  

If you're going to gamble with a capital venture, far better quite honestly to make a wholesale deal with a local manufacturer of some great product(s) who needs an online outlet for their products but doesn't have the time, knowledge, or staff to sell on eBay.  

Every new seller on eBay is also subject to selling limits (as 'i-am-vivian' mentioned) until they establish themselves as reliable sellers.  Read the link in the post above and be sure you are prepared to deal with it. You will also find funds may be held back on your Paypal account until you've passed a certain threshold.  See the Paypal site for seller information. 

Unless you are actually a resident of the U.S., you will not have to report to the IRS or pay U.S. taxes.  Whoever gave you this information is wrong.  If you are a Canadian, all your income is reported to CRA. 

Until you have a few months' worth of established business income and know your enterprise will likely succeed, incorporation is a waste of good money.  Whoever gave you information that incorporating will protect you from lawsuits is wrong.  It may protect your personal assets in the event of bankruptcy, for example, but if you are a director of a corporation, you are legally responsible for the corporation's dealings.  

And forget completely for the time being about registering as an LLC in the U.S.  That is absolutely unnecessary unless you get to a point where you actually need to establish a large-scale base in the United States.  

I don't know where you got the idea that you could be subject to lawsuits as a result of selling on eBay.  Unless you happen to be the manufacturer of a product, the only issues that you will ever need to deal with as an eBay seller are prompt and satisfactory shipment of items, and items being as described in your listings.  Any issues you might encounter here will be covered by the various seller and buyer guarantees and protections provided by eBay and Paypal.  

As for GST registration, that is not required until you've actually reached the $30,000 income level.  Before you waste your time and effort on GST registration, you need to see whether your income is going to justify it.  Give it 3 or 4 months before you over-think your success.  Some sellers do register sooner in order to be able to claim GST rebates on purchases, but quite honestly, once you register you are going to have the hassle of charging Canadian customers GST/HST on every sale, and all the complicated accounting paperwork that goes with it.  Besides, if you're expecting to sell mainly to the U.S., the whole GST question is moot.  Leave it on the back burner. 

It seems to me that if your ideas are as big as you say they are, you should be getting sound, professional accounting advice, rather than starting out by flying blind.  

You also need to prepare yourself for eBay selling by reading and thoroughly understanding the Seller help and policy pages.  Ask any specific policy questions here before you begin, because selling on eBay is not as simple as eBay likes to make it sound.  Experienced eBay sellers have seen it all. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

You need to do more research!!!  Lots more.

You also need to buy some items on eBay - nothing too expensive - envelopes, tape, etc., stuff that you can use in your business - this way you will hopefully get some much needed feedback and understand a bit better how things work on eBay..

Dropshipping - nothing but problems.  Info from drop shipping companies are usually (I'm being kind) wrong.

One of the longtime sellers here (Pierre) always says,  "sell what you know - know what you sell."  Use that as a base for your business.  Make sure you can answer any and all questions potential buyers may have about items you have listed for sale.  If you can't, don't have it for sale.  Not all items are suitable for selling online.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Thanks a lot for your helpful insights! I should have been more specific in query,my apologies. Although I am not a US citizen or greencard holder, I do have bank accounts in USA and also a Social Security Number since I was in USA on work visa for 6 years before moving to Canada couple of months ago.I have 3 Ebay US accounts with selling limit of $80,000 due to my long buying history in USA. My target market will be 90% US customers only. I have found a niche which I believe can be extremely profitable hence I was asking if I should incorporate right away. I don't plan to sell in Canada at all for now since so I have read stories on Ebay Canada forums about how difficult it is to make a living selling on Canada compared to USA due to a much smaller market here along with Canadian customers not being very open to online shopping compared to US customers. I read a Forrester Trend research report which showed that Canadian customers would search for the best price online but most of the Canadian buyers prefer to buy by visiting the store. That would explain why there are not a lot of extremely profitable EBay Canada sellers compare to their US counterparts.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Assuming that you are the original poster....it would b best to check with an accountant but since you live in Canada, I doubt that you would have to pay US tax.  One thing you should check, if the dropshippers have a physical presence in the same state as the buyer and that state has sales tax, they will likely charge sales tax to you when shipping to those buyers.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I don't plan to sell in Canada at all for now since so I have read stories on Ebay Canada forums about how difficult it is to make a living selling on Canada compared to USA due to a much smaller market here

And a lot of that is incoherent whining.

Anecdote is not data.

along with Canadian customers not being very open to online shopping compared to US customers.

This is historically true.

I used to work in a store selling Vermont Castings woodstoves. In the USA these were sold by mail with great success. Canadians wanted to see the real thing before putting their money down. (Also anecdote, consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.)

If you are shipping from the USA, then listing on dotCOM makes perfect sense.

I have my doubts about dropshipping, as you may have noticed is a theme of the experienced sellers here. You would get the same response from the dotCOM sellers' boards.

You can still sell to Canada, and later to the world from dotCOM. Your customers will see your listings in USdollars and their own local currency.

I have 3 Ebay US accounts with selling limit of $80,000 due to my long buying history in USA.

Try selling for a month before doing anything about incorporation.

You will be using one of your buying accounts which already has decent feedback, right?

And consult a tax accountant who knows both the Canadian and US tax codes. Frankly you are more likely to find one who does in Canada than in the USA.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply