Have you got this notice, I don't offer western union?

I am trying to list something and this came up, WTH?    

western union.jpg

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

What is it that you are trying to list?

There are certain keywords that can trigger this warning, sometimes the words don't even have to be placed together.

For example, try to list a record by The Five Americans which contains the song Western Union.

The actual words "western union" need not be included, any listing where the words "money" and "order" might trigger it.

Post the text of the Title and the Description and maybe I can see what the trigger was.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

What is it that you are trying to list?

There are certain keywords that can trigger this warning, sometimes the words don't even have to be placed together.

For example, try to list a record by The Five Americans which contains the song Western Union.

The actual words "western union" need not be included, any listing where the words "money" and "order" might trigger it.

Post the text of the Title and the Description and maybe I can see what the trigger was.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Boy are you ever smart.  Sure enough it is a time life CD with:

14. Western Union -The Five Americans

so I am just removed the "n" and it worked.   Thank so much. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

A history lesson.

There really is no problem for a SELLER to accept Western Union money orders-- once she actually has the paper document in hand.

The problem is for Buyers-- they have no electronically trackable Proof of Payment which makes pursuing a failed transaction nearly impossible.

The original problem was around the turn of the millennium, most online sales were by paper (cheque or money order) and occasionally in cash.

Great for seller. Bad for buyer.

And very very slow, since the cheques and money orders had to clear the banking system, after a week or so in transit.

Then Western Union started an email service which sent an email to the seller confirming the WU money order had been purchased and it was 'safe' to ship, The seller shipped. The MO arrived. Much faster and everyone was happy.

For about two weeks.

Then the scammers started sending fake emails..... and.....

Well.

So Bidpay and eventually Paypal became the safest method of payment.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply