Help with buyer demanding refund for as is item

I recently sold an item on ebay. I clearly stated the item was as is, I clearly stated what I had tested and what I did not. Thus I stated the item was sold as is and I started the bidding at .99cents. The buyer is now demanding a full refund for something I never tested. He states that because it was "USED" he will be allowed to return it? At this point feeling bad for the buyer, I offered a partial refund as a good will gesture. He refused and continues to demand a full refund. Can someone enlighten me as to my prognosis.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Not always true... I sold a video game system "for parts or not working" and the buyer came back stating it didn't work and he wanted a refund.

I called eBay and told them he bought it AS IS for parts or not working and that is what he got.  eBay sided with me and closed the case in my favor.

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

@andyandted wrote:

Lesson learned, need a lawyer to read all the fine print, but your right, it is stated plainly enough when you figure out where to look

The issue of "As Is" has been discussed in the eBay.com USA forums a few times so I am familiar with it. For some reason it has come up in these eBay.ca Canada forums a couple of times recently so I posted to your topic.

From the discussions I read on eBay.com, it appears some buyers look for items listed as used and described "As Is" so they can try to get a discount after buying claiming the item does not work. You cannot dispute it with eBay since the As Is disclaimer because it is listed as "Used - fully functional".

If you list with condition "For parts or not working", then most likely your auction for the "Sony MD" would have had less activity and lower bids. But maybe not, so hard to tell. But you would have had a better chance of not having a claim against you.

If you do list an item as "For parts or not working", description should be limited to cosmetic condition. I have read that even stating "unit powers up but not tested" can result in an "Item not described" claim if the buyers says it does not power up (truthfully or not). Just take a few good pictures and let the pictures speak for themselves.

You winning bidder may be deliberately trying to scam you. You will not know.

I would suggest just telling them "Return for refund". Do not offer a partial refund.

PS Where is the buyer, what country?

This is what I suspected all along. Not much I can do on my end, except to be very careful in my wording and which condition category I use. This buyer seemed fully prepared for my "as is" explanation, and expressed supreme confidence as I had listed in the "used category". Its just me but I had the feeling, that this is what the buyer had expected to do all along. With no concrete proof I have no valid claim.

Message 22 of 22
latest reply