How to indicate on customs form that the taxes have been collected by eBay

I have sold a rather expensive item on ebay but ebay canada only offers $100 insurance by Canada Post or Fedex.  Instead I will ship via UPS and pay for the additional insurance. How do I fill out the customs for to show that ebay has already taken the sales tax for the destination state.  There are no duties as the item was made in the states.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

@bright_future15 wrote:

I have sold a rather expensive item on ebay but ebay canada only offers $100 insurance by Canada Post or Fedex.  Instead I will ship via UPS and pay for the additional insurance. How do I fill out the customs for to show that ebay has already taken the sales tax for the destination state.  There are no duties as the item was made in the states.

If this shipment is going to the US then you don't need to do anything. US Customs do not concern themselves with State Sales Tax.

Also, There is no duty on postal imports less than US$800 no matter where they are from and only shipments valued above US$2500 require a formal customs entry.

If you are shipping via UPS, using anything less than than Express service may have additional brokerage charges (modest amount), you should ensure that these charges are billed to YOU and not the recipient.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

You can definitely purchase insurance coverage in excess of $100 via Canada Post; either through eBay Labels or another shipping label platform. You just need to select "Expedited Parcel USA" as the service method, as anything less than that only has a maximum of $100 of insurance.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

If you use the eBay shipping forms, the customs information auto-fills.

But as others have said, our neighbours have a duty-free allowance of $800 US and their customs officers don't collect state taxes- eBay has done that already as the marketplace facilitator.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply