How to mark condition-new or used- antique postcards and greeting cards with new listing tool?

I am in the process of adding to my store and with the new listing tool I only get the option of used or new when having to state the condition of an antique postcard or  greeting card. All are about 100 years old so I have been marking them all as used despite many of them having no writing or signs of being used. So I am describing a postcard that has never been written on as used simply because it is old. If I have a mint set in a packet I am still clicking the used button simply because of its age. Alternatively a Victorian greeting card  that has never been written on-Is it considered new at 100 years old? I am wondering what other antique, postcard or old paper item sellers are using and if it makes a difference to a buyer? Would they use the used or new condition as a filter for such items and thus removing my items from their respective searches so they don't get seen/sold? For the condition description I do say to see scans and assess and in the actual description I do mention those specific to the items but I am stumped by the used/new boxes to tick with no alternatves. Thanks in advance for your advice, suggestions and input.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: How to mark condition-new or used- antique postcards and greeting cards with new listing tool?

byto253
Community Member

The options avaiable are also dependent on the listing category.  For example, video games have a range of condition options to choose from.   Can you find other listings that have the condition listed as something different, such as New-Other, and see what category they are using?  

Antique postcards is not in my wheelhouse though.  I expect others here will have better info. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Re: How to mark condition-new or used- antique postcards and greeting cards with new listing tool?

@byto253 wrote:

The options avaiable are also dependent on the listing category.  For example, video games have a range of condition options to choose from.   Can you find other listings that have the condition listed as something different, such as New-Other, and see what category they are using?  

Antique postcards is not in my wheelhouse though.  I expect others here will have better info. 

@tuckhouse2021 

Postcards can be found under a variety of categories...especially between the 2 sites. Different options appear depending on which you choose so your results may vary. Example In Non topigraphical sub heading on com for Actors. Missing for ca. (You can also find postcards listed in Antiques). Condition options (for below) are New, Used & Not Specified. 

You are here - Canada

You are here - USA

Shop by Category

Disclaimer: No guarantee ALL categories/sub categories will be available.

Disclaimer 2: In testing categories found a quantity that were DOA and returned the usual eBay error message: We looked everywhere.....

-Lotz

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Antique postcards aren't in my wheelhouse either but I would probably put them as used just because antique and new do not seem to go together.  When looking at the listings, it appears that 'used' shows up as pre-owned which might seem more accurate.  You could put 'unused' in the title and mention it in the condition box.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Antique postcards aren't in my wheelhouse either but I would probably put them as used just because antique and new do not seem to go together.  When looking at the listings, it appears that 'used' shows up as pre-owned which might seem more accurate.  You could put 'unused' in the title and mention it in the condition box.

Pre-owned is a choice available with dot com. For most categories i've never seen it as an option on ca. We get use of Not Specified for both Condition and Posted. Believe when it states New that would mean not posted or without text on reverse. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I'm looking at listings in Collectibles - Postcards.  On both .com and on .ca the choices when setting up the listing are new or used.  But when looking at those 'used' listings on the search page they show as 'pre owned' until you click on the listing itself.  

I didn't realize that it was still possible to not specify either new or used so the op might want to ignore both options and then use the condition box to describe that there is no writing. I see that some people use new as well so I guess it's a subjective decision.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

One of the biggest downfalls of condition. It can be entirely subjective. The available condition options vary greatly depending on the category

Past workplace manufactured many 1 of kind custom signs. We would do basically a viewing/quality control before they were forwarded to customers. 15 employees. 15 different opinions. And ones respond can vary depending on your mood.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

It would help if the Condition box appeared when the item is New as well as if it is used.

When I sell sewing patterns they are often unused uncut and factory folded - which is New in my opinion, but the packet can have rubber stamps, written notes , or missing flaps, none of which is important if they are going to be used by the buyer.  It would have some importance if the buyer is a collector, but most of mine are too modern for that.

I call postcards that have never been written on or sent New. But I also describe problems (soft edges, etc.) thoroughly, I hope.  So far, so good.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

If you're selling a lot of them, I'd probably just list them all as used. Collectors will likely be closely examining the photos and will probably search based on topic rather than condition anyway. In fact, they may think ones listed as "new" are reproductions.

I'd suggest looking up Popeye's Postcards (he has a large eBay store as well as a YouTube channel) and look at what he does. His YouTube channel also has a "Beginners Guide to Selling Postcards" 24 part series that is VERY helpful.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

If I sold old postcards I would definitely list them as "used".

On .com there are over 10 Million listings in the Postcard & Supplies category, less than 5% are listed as "new".

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I would say NEW!!-but 100yrs old-Never Used-No Postage-No writing-Well Stored and Preserved !!-

-show pictures of course

Message 11 of 11
latest reply