How to send a return shipping label for the U.S.?

On my selling account I had a customer ask to return 3 small items as not as described. I think thyy are as described but don't want to get into a dispute.

How do I send a return shipping label now that I accepted the return? Also they made 3 payments and sent 3 return requests  but all was sent in one package and they should be returned that way. Will eBay want 3 separate tracking numbers?

The shipping will not be expensive as we are talking about a less than 500 g small package so that is  not a big deal. The total value of the sale  is about 500.00.  My replacement cost would be about $225.00.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Shippo has indicated in their webinar that Canadian sellers can register with USPS and send shipping labels through them.

No one has as yet reported actually doing this and Shippo is having some shakedown problems.

If you use this system and can send the label-- PLEASE let us all know.

and they should be returned that way.

Yes.

Will eBay want 3 separate tracking numbers?

No.

The total value of the sale  is about 500.00.  My replacement cost would be about $225.00.

You very definitely need tracking on that, obviously.

Apparently you can also send money through Paypal to the buyer, indicating how it must be used.
The PP transaction can then be used to show that you sent return postage.
If the buyer doesn't use it, you can open a PP dispute for Not As Described.
Seems convoluted, and again, I have yet to see anyone post that this has been done successfully.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

If you just send money to the buyer ensure they send via the proper service or you will pay more than you need to. A small package can be sent via USPS First Class Package International (has tracking) they might be upsold and/or assume Priority would be "better" (might be very slightly faster).

Also it's VERY important that they clearly mark the customs information as Canadian Goods Returned.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I registered on Shippo and went through the steps of preparing a label. I put the customer as the shipper. The thing is I don't know the dimensions of the package or the exact weight. I did not write down the dimensions and have no way to know if the original packaging will be used.

So far no reply at all to my messages to the customer. I basically received 3 return requests with no other communication.

I had a few qualms about this from the beginning. It was to a P.O. box, the surname of the customer can be sounded out to suggest an unsavory person, and the customer specifically requested registered letter  shipping. I sent via tracked packet explaining that registered letter mail is not eligible for seller protection.

I guess I'll give it a day or so and try phoning the customer after that.

eBay really needs to set something better up.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

PO boxes are the safest destination.

The buyer either needs the key to the box, or if it doesn't fit in the box he has to get it from the clerk after presenting the delivery slip and identification.

He also needed to provide identification just to rent the box.

Better than porches or those roadside boxes Americans are so fond of.

The 'registered' is a little odd, but a lot of older people (like me) don't keep up with this artsy-fartsy fancy renaming stuff. (The post office should just get off my lawn.)

In case you don't already have it, here is the USPS parcel website.

https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

From what you've said, the Priority Envelope sounds like the best system.

Rate cards have ranges. For example, I believe those Priority boxes accept anything up to four pounds in weight for the same price.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

My personal guess is that P.O. boxes are safer on average for delivery as that are locked but carry a higher fraud risk. Better to get fake id and rent a box than perpetrate a fraud from home. I certainly never worry about P.O. boxes unless there are other oddities.

I did manage to prepare a label on shippo and send it. The process is not easy though as they want dimensions and weights and there is no way to know if  the buyer will send those to you.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply