Is anyone trying to use Seller's Make an Offer to watchers

Just a heads up to anyone trying to use the seller "make an offer" to watchers. I tried to do this with an item listed on .ca & it would not let me send the offer. I ended up calling eBay & apparently this is a site issue. It is working for some items on .com (was able to do it for 4 out of 5 that I tried).  I was told it was already in to the tech dept but when I asked how long it would take to fix she indicated about 30 days. Not too handy with Christmas shopping under way.

Just thought I would mention it here in case others are having difficulties & wondering why. Perhaps I missed an announcement about it, not sure.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@katlover1952 

Thanks for the heads up. I had tried a few earlier today that wouldn't let me, so ignored sending.  Others worked no problem, so possibly an intermittent thing. In checking the dot ca and dot com status boards, nothing noted as of yet. Hopefully for all concerned it will be fixed in quicker than the 30 days quoted.

ebay.ca/sts

ebay.com/sts

-Lotz

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Yes you are correct Lotz & I did tell the girl I talked to that I did not think it was acceptable to take 30 days to fix this problem smack in the middle of holiday shopping. I am just surprised that there was no notice of this to sellers & that I had to call, especially if they think it will take 30 days to fix. I could not get any Canadian offers to work but as I said did manage to get 4 out of 5 I tried for .com.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@katlover1952 

Now showing  13 items that should be available for sending offers. Clicking on all them there is no option to send an offer. Something is definitely broken with this feature. Still baffled by the tab that says Review Offers and gives nothing to review. There was a bit of a blip to items with watchers when this option kicked in but as of late  new watchers are arriving as a very random trickle.

-Lotz

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Had to talk to them this am about a different matter - had an error in a listing description which was pointed out to me by a bidder. I cancelled the bid & was unable to revise the item to make the correction. Had to call eBay once again & apparently they have a glitch with this as well.  The work around was to end the listing & do a sell similar & do the correction to the new listing. I told him I was running out of listings this month & really did not want to have to do that. So they gave me a credit for one listing - lol. I told him that they should be telling their tech people to work a little harder as glitches like this are not acceptable during the busy holiday season.  He said that maybe they were having the glitches because it was so busy. Anyway if you have trouble in that area that may be the reason.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@katlover1952 

Enjoy your cruise with that credit!! open_mouth Actual compensation for bad tech does NOT appear to be an option!!!

-Lotz

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Are you sure that was a glitch?  Once you have a bid, I didn’t think that you could make changes on a listing even if the bid was cancelled.  I’ve never tried to do it but just thought that’s how it worked.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Are you sure that was a glitch?  Once you have a bid, I didn’t think that you could make changes on a listing even if the bid was cancelled.  I’ve never tried to do it but just thought that’s how it worked.

Definitely not a glitch.

Upon receiving a bid the description text is locked down and cannot be edited. However, the seller can add to what is already there, any additional text appears below the original description.

Have felt compelled to do this on several occasions, it is not a good situation. Who knows if anyone actually reads the error correction, especially if a seller uses lengthy terms of sale in the description.

The take away from this is … use extra caution when writing auction descriptions!

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Re; Still baffled by the tab that says Review Offers and gives nothing to review.

You, me and everyone else I would imagine. Oh well, haven't had even one response from using offers anyway. If appropriate, I will just add best offer to the listing from now on.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

The person I spoke with at eBay said it was a glitch. I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) they knew what they were talking about. The other re making offers is apparently a glitch that has already been reported & is in the tech department.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Judging by users like yourself reporting here in the forum it seems CS agents are not terribly well informed.

Re revising auctions; There are several scenarios that influence what elements of an auction can be revised, no bids , bids and time left till ending.
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera  @katlover1952 

Re: Agents not being well informed.

This has become a major annoyance this ongoing problem  when a seller contacts eBay CS and they don't have a solution/idea what is going on to fix that problem. (Flash back to number of times you get put on hold as they check for an answer.) They dump the fix job onto the seller for a features that need to work at ALL times. Such as ummm creating listings, photo problems,catalog issues, etc. It may be a 1 of or a batch of listings. This may either involve using up a seller's available listings or if they are over their allotted limit can cost them major time and additional fees to use relist. Something that should NEVER happen. Why should this be considered an acceptable resolution/solution in eBay's eyes?

-Lotz

Message 12 of 12
latest reply