Is it cheaper to use ebay shipping or canada post

Is it cheaper to use ebay's shipping service, rather than canada post.  I have to drive to the post office to post the packages, so I don't save on gas.  I have a Canada Post Venture card, which gives small business a tiny discount on shipping.  But using ebay's system costs paper and ink.

And how do the fees work for shipping? 

Thanks

Meredith

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

There are additional discounts that you will get using eBay/PayPal that you will not get at the PO.

Not as much as it was a few years ago but still it's something and the added bonus of drop and run at the PO can be worthwhile dpending on how sharp your clerks are.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

On non-tracked services such as small packet, you pay the same price. On Expedited, Tracked, etc, you get a discount. Not entirely the point, however.

Since I started buying on Paypal Shipping, my "where's me widget" emails have dropped by 90%. Customer gets an official looking Paypal email telling them it has been shipped, etc.

I "think" they get through Customs faster as the labels are in correct format, font, font size, etc.
Photobucket
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

There is no universal answer to please everyone.

Much depends on the size and weight of what you sell and how you ship.

Purchasing postage through eBay, paid through PayPal with a system administered by Pitney Bowes will give you a small discount on some postal parcel services, not all.

Other sellers prefer to use postage stamps purchased at deep discount (typically 30% off face value) from philatelic wholesalers and auction houses.  While that discount is much better than the one offered by Canada Post Venture Card and eBay, it requires a small investment in postage stamps and a bit of work to assemble the correct amount of postage required for each envelope or parcel.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Can't drop and run anymore, apparently.  I just dropped off 3 items for shipping, all posted and ready to go.  They were too bulky to drop in the red box so I went to a postal outlet.  The clerk called me back when I dropped them on the counter and went to leave.  She said that they have changed the way this is done now.  I had to wait until she had scanned and input zip code before it was okay for me to leave.  Anyone know of this new procedure?  It will mean we can't skip standing in line which was part of the perk of posting at home through paypal.  I always waited for an opportune moment to just place them on the counter, catch the clerk's eye and say "they're ready to go" and it was good.  Now, not so much.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Yah, you can still drop them off and leave. But the Posties now have to enter the Postal code when scanning - you don't have to wait if you don't want to.

For what it's worth - never, ever leave the Post Office until you see your items being scanned. Beleive me it is worth the wait.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

if you use internet label you can drop and run but not recommended. Any other service(beside letter mail), the PO now have to manually enter the postal code destination and zip code. 

I haven't use any internet label in the last two year, for me private labeling is cheaper.

Ultimately you have try and determine what's best for you

Message 7 of 7
latest reply