Is it time for eBay to drop Guest Purchasing?

When I put in the topic Guest Purchases, I got five questions all the same.

How do I track my purchase?

From newbies who were (probably) scammed and who cannot figure out how to get their money back.

Will those Guests ever buy on eBay again?

Will they tell everyone they meet about how eBay scammed them and made it impossible to get their money back?

If eBay insists on keeping Guest Purchasing, and I am willing to believe that 99 44/100% of these go just fine, how about easy to find front and centre step by step instructions on how to track, with a link to opening disputes.

As a seller, I believe Guest Purchasing is NOT a useful option for the site.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

It is so easy to join eBay I never did understand why they allowed guest purchasing at all.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@strange*highways wrote:

It is so easy to join eBay I never did understand why they allowed guest purchasing at all.

For the same reason any ecommerce site offers the option, it makes things easier for a subset of buyers and nets you more business. It does seem like they could document things better for those that use the service, but the same holds true for many other things as well. I still regularly get buyers who use the feature, the only time it really causes issues is with blocked bidders who try to do an end around or in cases where they get two users id's by virtue of checking out separately for items, which is a bit of a problem for adding tracking.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

AS ABOVE, IT is sometimes easier to order as a guest than a member, and sometimes quicker. i have tried to order a pizza as a member and it won't recognize my  address so i have to call in..it is a catch -22 .. take the good with the bad..

but yes ebay should let guest buyers know, that their item may not include tracking.. and this is where you go, if you haven't received it..

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I have no problem with guest purchases being a thing, based on the fact I have had multiple that went off without a hitch. That being said, it seems a lot of the complaints from guest buyers who end up on the boards have to do with not being able to log back in as a guest (to check tracking, contact the buyer, open a case, etc.). You hear a lot about guests being given a code to login with, but it doesn't end up working.

I think the issue is not that the guest option exists, but rather how eBay handles post-purchase for guests, specifically in regards to communication. On the surface it seems like it should be simple for guest buyers, but there's a constant stream of guest buyers who come here seeking advice because they don't know what to do. Perhaps better post-purchase e-mails for guest buyers to better outline how to login, how to contact their seller, how to access the Resolution Centre, how to contact eBay support, etc.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Guest Checkout is important to offer. There are many online retailers where I shop but refuse to create accounts. I don't need the aggravation of trying to remember another hundred unique passwords so if I create an account on a site, it's because there's something in it for me. Like loyalty points. Good ones, that I can use. 

As to the major problem with eBay's Guest Checkout, I raised this at the Weekly Chat two Wednesdays ago. The eBay Canada member who replied to me said they knew what the specific problem is with login and they're working to fix it. In the meantime, better text support might help. Assuming people (buyers) read it. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Chris summed it up quite nicely. Guest checkout is important, I have had guests sales here and there from $20 to $100 and never had issues. The problem is not guest accounts but the eBay system itself failing to provide adequate service...
Message 7 of 7
latest reply