Item received - but INR claim opened

I'm curious how you would deal with this. 

A buyer ordered an item from me, it was delivered (per tracking) a couple weeks ago and they left positive feedback that all was good. 

Now today I got an Item not received claim but in the description they put 'item doesn't work'

So my options are, message buyer, add tracking, refund. 

I can't ask for a return because they choose item not received. I asked the buyer to clarify but is it just me or does this seem fishy?

How would you handle?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

The buyer is probably trying to scam you if I had to guess

But it’s more likely they chose the wrong reason

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

It sounds like they meant to open a dispute because the item doesn't work, and accidentally chose INR. You should be able to defend yourself by providing the tracking information, but I'd recommend contacting eBay's customer service to clarify.

I'm unsure if the buyer can open a second case after losing that one. I'd assume they can, but I don't know.

Positive feedback doesn't matter to the dispute process. It also isn't necessarily an indication that the item didn't have an issue. Depending on how complex the item is, someone might leave feedback when receiving it and inspecting it, but not realize about an issue later on. You have the info about the item and buyer that we don't that will allow you to think critically and decide how to approach helping the buyer. AKA whether you think they are being honest about the issue with the item, and you decide to help them facilitate a return, or whether you think they have buyer's remorse because the item was adequately tested and had no flaws when it was sent out.

You'd have to clarify with eBay's customer service line, but I think they can either lose the case (or close it because they will lose), and then open a return or INAD dispute, but I am not sure.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

You have complete Seller Protection against the Item Not Received dispute by putting the Confirmation of Delivery number in the dispute.

He loses automatically.

This may put him in the position of wanting to return something that doesn't work (somehow) but having his dispute closed. His problem, not yours.

If he then opens a Not As Described listing, you can decide whether to accept the return (you may have to pay for return shipping) and refund on delivery.

Even if you have a No Returns policy you can still demand the return before refunding.

Again, this might be too confusing for him and if he doesn't return  it, he loses.

If he goes to Paypal, and you demand the return, he has to pay for the return.  That's PP's policy. And again, if he doesn't return it,  he loses the PP dispute.

A credit card dispute would be handled through PP, and again you can demand that he return the unwanted item before refunding.

You can have a No Returns policy, but not a No Refunds policy. 

I wouldn't communicate more with the buyer any more. It's his problem that it took him weeks to decide he didn't want the thing.  I am old and cranky.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply