Multiple items purchased by buyer from Russia

About 2 months ago few of my postcards were purchased by buyer from Russia with relatively small feedback (approximately 10) and he was making payments for each card separately.  I got his phone number from eBay, called him and suggested not to pay until he finishes all purchases. His low number of feedbacks made me think he is inexperienced buyer. The man was very grateful for my phone call and he said that he has no other option but to PAY NOW. And he was also upset about eBay's demand for money before the end of shopping. Then we decided to do the following: he emailed me the list of other items he was interested to buy, I deleted all but one and the price on the remaining item was increased to match the total of all cards.

It was a pain for me to do all this, including Excel table with item's names and prices.

He bought the last (unrealistic expensive) card and paid the rest of money.

The same buyer appeared last week (his score is over 20 now) and he said that he was in touch with their CS and he was told that he can buy only using the SHOPPING CART and he even asked if this cart can be removed because it exists only in US and UK and therefore it is a disadvantage for him.

And he got an answer that he should discuss with seller in order to make an arrangement similar to one we made already, i.e. to create a COMBINED ITEM.

We had to do the same procedure again.

I do  not think such an option is intelligent and fair towards buyers and sellers.

Did anybody experience the same or similar situation? 

EBay encourages us to be open for buyers from Russia, but such stupid restrictions are very disappointing and inconvenient.

Should be this addressed to eBay team?

Thank you for suggestions I hopefully will get.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

"Did anybody experience the same or similar situation? "

Yes, many times when I was an active seller, prior to my retirement.

Solution: tell your buyer to log on eBay.ca to do his browsing/shopping. No shopping cart = no problem!

The shopping cart instituted a few years ago by eBay on eBay.com at the request of some large sellers is one of the worst idea ever (worse than DSRs or GSP in my opinion) because it costs sellers sales.  Anyone with some ecommerce experience is aware of the cart abandonment issues:

Take a look: http://baymard.com/lists/cart-abandonment-rate

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Might I add, good for you Block for working with the Russian buyer. Ask this over on dot com and they would yell at you to cease all communication as it is always a scam from Russia.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Solution: tell your buyer to log on eBay.ca to do his browsing/shopping. No shopping cart = no problem!

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Pierre, thank you!  Brilliant!  For some reason it never occurred to me to tell buyers outside of Canada to log onto the .ca site to do their shopping, thus avoiding all the cart issues, and allowing them to take as much time as they like to choose their purchases.

I've had the same problem occasionally and worked out the same sort of solution as the OP, but I'll certainly remember this.  All I can say on my own behalf is duuhhhh for not realizing it before. 

Please take a bow - you deserve it for this nugget of advice! 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply