Need advice, buyer opend a sealed dvd box set and claims all 4 discs do not play

Hi, I recently sold a sealed 4 dvd box set, and the buyer claims that all the discs do not work via normal messaging, not a return request through ebay. 

"Good afternoon, I recently received my item, but the disc's don't seem to play properly. Only a portion of the episodes play properly, with the remainder causing the Blu-Ray/DVD player to freeze (there seems to be some slight scratches on 2 of the discs). I have tried the disc's on multiple machines to rule out a player issue and the disc's freeze up at the same point on all players. Can you please let me know if you can send me a replacement item or provide a refund since the item does not work as described.
Thank you and I look forward to your response."

Should I just refund the entire amount plus shipping (me paying for it to be shipped back will not be worth it)?  or should I be scrutinizing this a bit more and ask for pictures?  I have not really had to deal with a not working sealed product before, but the fact all 4 discs are claimed to be not working just seemed fishy to me.  The buyer has 600+ feedback but none in the last year.  I am leaning to just refunding everything, letting them keep the item, to protect my feedback, as I feel ebay would not side with me, and just take it on the chin.  Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Need advice, buyer opend a sealed dvd box set and claims all 4 discs do not play

I've had that happen. Bought a sealed set and had one disc unplayable.

I've also bought  sealed set that had a disc missing.

You do what my retail stores did.

You apologize for the customer's disappointment, send a return shipping label, get the set back, and refund.

It's a business expense.

If you buy from the distributor, you may be able to return the defective goods for their refund.

If you buy from a liquidator, well, it's still a business expense.

The buyer has 600+ feedback but none in the last year.

Now that is a red flag.

That is often a sign of a hacked account.

Was he buying DVDs before or something else entirely? And what does his FB Left for Others look like?

In any case, I would not just refund.

I would ask him to open a Dispute with eBay.

DON'T PANIC!

If he is scamming he won't want to be on eBay's radar.

If he keeps demanding the refund but not opening a Dispute, I'd ask him to open a Dispute with eBay.

Rinse and repeat.

If he opens a Dispute you will be told to send return shipping.

• If he is in the USA, you can send a USPS shipping label through Shippo. If you are not already signed up with them, you will need your Small Business Solutions number that you use with SnapShip and Paypal shipping.

If he won't return the DVDs, you win the case, no refund.

If he returns the DVDs, you refund on arrival. The transaction is ended, you have no black marks on your record.

You are probably aware that you are selling in categories with relatively high fraud levels. Not as bad as designer sneakers, or cell phones or reborn babies, but a lot of sketchey buyers (and unhappily sellers).

If you are not using Cookie Jar Insurance on your listings, you really should.

Off topic- How big are those dinosaurs? You just say small. One inch? Five inches?

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

matflo_93
Community Member

yeah he opened the box set so i wouldn't do anything because people will do and say anything to get free stuff, they probably work just fine.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

thanks for the advice, appreciate it.  I asked him to send me pictures or even a video of where all 4 discs stops, and also to open a return case on ebay.  No response so far in a day.  Looks like his older feedbacks are DVD related as well.  So we will see if he even opens a case.  If he ends up just leaving negative feedback without opening a case, is that disputable with ebay?

p.s the dinosaurs are about an inch tall, Ill add that to the ad 😉

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Also worth a shot is a quick Google search on trouble playing that specific title, some companies have been known to produce bad batches and users have complained on various boards, I've had that happen myself with some titles.
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

thanks, thats good advice too, I took a look on amazon at some one star reviews (This is Justice League Unlimited Season 1.), 1 guy had the same issue with one of his discs not playing and 2 others responded to that review stating the same, so this might very well be a manufacturing issue. So I suspect the buyer might actually be telling the truth.  Though this is only 1 review out of 238 positive ones.

"1st, let me say that I LOVE (LOVE!!!!) the JLU seasons...and, I was VERY excited when I found out that these episodes were coming to DVD. To my great disappointment, I found that Disc 3 (the one with Aquaman on the cover of the disc) would not play in ANY of my DVD players, including my computer DVD player. I returned the item to Amazon, and Amazon replaced it in a flash. Again, Disc 3 would not play in my computer DVD player, and it took several times of ejecting and reinserting the DVD into my standard DVD player to even start the disc. I returned (sadly) the item again to Amazon who said that they have been experiencing numerous problems with this DVD edition. So, sadly my wait continues....buyer beware. I can understand a problem with one disc from one order...but to experience the SAME problem with the SAME disc from two different orders...that to me spells defective disc for all. Anyone else out there have a problem with Disc 3 not playing????"

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Gosh.

For once the customer may actually be right.

Who'da thunk it?

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

It is possible that the discs have manufacturing defects. I once bought a "Rockford Files" tv show box set and none of the discs would even load in my dvd player. I returned it to the store and got a refund. So it is possible the buyer is honest and telling the truth.

If you don't have too much invested in the item and can afford a small loss it might be best just to refund and move on. It's better to do that than have an upset customer and possible bad feedback. Just my opinion. You know whats best in your situation. Good luck, hope it all works out for you.
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Yes, I am awaiting for them to respond and open a return case. If I refund them via paypal without them opening a return case I will get a defect correct? So is it best to wait for them to open a case?
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

No, if you deal with the problem without involving eBay (ie refunding without demanding a Dispute be opened) there would be no defect.

In the same way, if you demand that the "defective" DVDs be returned before refunding, again without eBay's involvement, there would be no defect.

If the buyer opens a Not As Described dispute, but does not return the DVDs when you send a shipping label, you win the case and there is no defect.

The Defect is for stubborn sellers who refuse to send return shipping and/or refuse to refund willingly.

You can refuse returns, but you cannot refuse refunds.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

thanks, I ended up refunding through paypal. Thanks for everyones advice. This is the first time ive had to deal with a return so I was kind of lost. Thanks for helping a clueless person out!
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Your not clueless, neodragonknight. We all have to learn the ropes when things happen a first time. I've also had a few issues with buyers over the years as most sellers have. Glad every ones advice was helpful. All the best!
Message 12 of 12
latest reply