New Money Back Guarantee not annnounced and still incomplete

Sellers may want to read the link below including opening up the blue+ 's since it affects sellers and returns.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

If an item arrives damaged or is truly defective and can be verified that it is, does it really doesn't make sense to waste money to return that item at the sellers expense/higher cost than it was originally shipped as per eBay requirements. 

It doesn't.

And many sensible sellers don't require a return, but will instead request a photo of the damaged goods.

This is a longstanding practice in China & Glass, for example.

Often a photo of the box is also included.

And, it's worth noting, that a lot of damage is due to poor packing on the part of the seller.

If the seller and buyer are negotiating outside the resolution process, this is very straightforward.
If the Resolution Center is involved, the seller is still allowed to refund without return.

I believe that the seller, in the course of a dispute negotiation, can ask for photographic proof of the problem.

If none is provided, then the "return for refund" option remains open.

I agree that giving the buyer a choice of cheaper, slower and untracked shipping is a necessity for us sellers of low priced goods.

But the seller still has to make sure his choices cover all potential costs, including returns.

And we're now back to the Cookie Jar.

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Aren’t the changes just for some of the timelines or am I missing something? The change in the buyer refund timeline was announced in the sellers update (summer?) but I don’t recall the other changes being mentioned.  

Dutchman why do you say it is incomplete...what’s missing?

I’m confused about the timeline below.  tyler@ebay  @happy_pigeon  What happens 5 business days after a buyer ships a  domestic return and 14 business days for an international return?   If there is no tracking showing delivered I would hope that there would be no automatic refund at that time??

Return shipping Before July 10, 2018 From July 10, 2018

Return shipping – Dispatch time

The maximum time a buyer has to send the item back, after the seller accepts their return request.

5 business days No change

Return shipping – Domestic transit time

The maximum time for a return to be delivered to the seller after the buyer ships it back.

13 business days 5 business days

Return shipping – International transit time

The maximum time for a return to reach the seller once the buyer ships it back. This timeline is used when one party in the transaction is based outside of the US.

New 14 business days

Howdy everyone - I can confirm that the input from @hlmacdon is accurate, the Return Shipping Time is looking at the time frame we allow for the item to return to you as the seller once an item is dispatched.

If there is no tracking update after the applicable amount of time, you would be able to ask us to step in and we would review the case to close it out at no fault to you, or in your favor.

tyler@ebay

And what happens if it does not arrive when Ebay thinks it should is what is totally missing as usual?

1. what will be considered recent movement?

2. What if it is held up at Customs?

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

And, it's worth noting, that a lot of damage is due to poor packing on the part of the seller.

To your comments, I definitely agree. Some sellers are not as good as others in their packaging techniques or tend to cut corners. On the other side of the equation is all it takes is one heavy item to land on a number of smaller items along a package chute or as they are arranged in a container for forwarding during any of the many sorting processes. Damaged packages can and will result.   As far as I know these situations rarely get documented. No one knows what did or didn't get damaged. This again is nothing a seller has any control. Very similar to grocery shopping. Ever got home and your bread no longer looked like bread? And have you ever gone back for a replacement?

-CM

Message 23 of 23
latest reply