New Postal Rates

I picked up the new rates from my post office which will be effective Monday.

What got hammered as usual are the lowest light packet rates for the US and International.

US up to 200 grams from 5.70 to 6.84

US from 200 to 300 from 8.23 to 8.60

US up to 500 grams unchanged at 11.75

International up to 200 grams from 8.78 to 10.10

International over 200 unchanged

I guess they figured out a lot was going light packet at the lowest weight so just jack it up by a lot

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Re: New Postal Rates

@dutchman48 wrote:

Here is a question?

Why can an item be sent other lettermail within Canada, not be sent other lettermail outside the country other than an idiotic policy by CP to gouge Canadians?

They say it is because of customs but I think it is truly is a gouge by CP .   Over 6 years ago this was not the case.   It did not matter what the item was as long as it went through the 20mm slot it was a oversized letter and no customs form was needed.  

I to am now feeling the crunch concerning light packet.    Am keeping my costs down by using discount postage and with our dollar compared to the US that helps big time.   However if the Canadian dollar and the US dollar ever get close again,  it will mean nothing will be sent to the US or overseas.   Postage cost are killing the sale of small inexpensive items.

Message 21 of 59
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:
Why can an item be sent other lettermail within Canada, not be sent other lettermail outside the country other than an idiotic policy by CP to gouge Canadians?

Canada Post did try to (and failed) a decade or so ago to make lettermail be document only in Canada.

For export they are a bit ahead of the curve, in that the new IPU rules to split lettermail into lettermail (documents) and lettermail (goods) categories when transferring between different country post offices will only go into effect January 2018.

Plus Canada Post has never offered an alternative to O/S lettermail in Canada just that big jump to the 0-750g parcel. A hard to sell to parliament choice for a regulated service.

Message 22 of 59
latest reply

"Canada Post did try to (and failed) a decade or so ago to make lettermail be document only in Canada.

I read somewhere that CP lost a legal ruling on that issue for domestic mail so only apply it to international mail.

Message 23 of 59
latest reply

where you could order private insurance? I had not delivered item since october i refund the customer but still fighting with Canada Post .The parcel was expedited

Message 24 of 59
latest reply

Shipsurance will do individual orders as needed.

Message 25 of 59
latest reply

They now do orders through Insurepost which is the same company but for smaller one off sellers

Sorry for confusion and incorrect information

Message 26 of 59
latest reply

U-pic also offers third-party insurance to select destinations for certain services on most (but not all) items.
Message 27 of 59
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

It is cheaper for me to send out a light packet with private insurance than to use tracked packet.

Also, CP does not insure many items that private insurance does, so the free CP insurance is totally useless for me.

I'm very interested in this statement.  Would you mind elaborating?  Do you still print your labels through PayPal and insure the packages separately?  What is the process?

I would say 75% of my items are sent Light Packet.  Tracked Packet is out of the question in cases where the value of the item is less than the shipping cost, e.g. a $15 DVD or mascara that would cost $16.00 to ship with tracking.  It's become quite worrisome, since more and more buyers are fraudulently claiming INR, either through an official claim or via e-mail, when they realize the item was shipped without tracking,  With enough experience, you get a feel for those who are lying.  Some sellers advocate the "virtual cookie jar insurance" but that doesn't work for me.  I'm already subsidizing shipping to the U.S. so there is nothing extra to put in the cookie jar.

Message 28 of 59
latest reply

I'll give it a shot but please bear in mind I can't cite my sources at the moment because I'm replying from a mobile device and not my desk.

I'm basing this on my own experience shipping to a shortlist of about a dozen international destinations via Small Packet. I sometimes still use Light Packet but most items now are set to ship to the 31 countries served by Tracked Packet.

Let's say you sell like me a toy valued at $125 in a box weighing 225 g and measuring 22 x 17 x 9 cm to U.K. Postage via Tracked Packet is roughly $36 cad with the PayPal shipping discount. Or $10 cad via Small
packet. Buying third-party insurance through u-pic at $4 USD per $100-insured, my total postage cost untraced and insured would be about $18 CAD.

But but but...

Not all items are insurable.

Not all destinations are insurable.

Each insurer has different rules for how to file a claim. Do you need Proof of Postage or Proof of Mailing? And does the buyer need to notarize a letter stating the item wasn't received? What if the recipient is uncooperative?

I used to buy third-party insurance on select orders but never had to actually use it so I don't know how feasible filing a claim to recoup a loss really is. That makes all the difference.

If your item is heavier than 250 g, the price break between tracked and untracked is not as pronounced.

Also, you can ship something valued at $600 CAD via Tracked Packet which tops out on insurance at $100 but opt to buy the rest third-party instead of going to Xpresspost. After $850 cad you need signature so Xpresspost is required.

It's worth investigating third-party insurance. But, yes, I subsidize all my postage too so cookie jar never really worked for me, either.
Message 29 of 59
latest reply

Thanks for the info, mj.

I checked the Shipinsurance website (aimed towards frequent or regular customers) and was directed to their sister company, Insure Post, which will insure on as needed basis.

They stated: "When you purchase insurance, we require a tracking or customs number that uniquely identifies your package." That makes sense, of course, but if I had tracking, I could stay with Canada Post.

I also checked U-PIC and while they have many pages of Q&A's, you can't really see the process until you create an account.  I can't help but think they operate the same way as Insure Post.

The way Dutchman's post read, it sounded like you could pay postage for a light packet and then pay a couple of dollars more for insurance with a private company.  I guess I was being naïve to think that would be a simple process.

Message 30 of 59
latest reply

It's not simple, that's for sure. You really have to be able to weigh the pros and cons of costs against your level of risk. I've only ever used u-pic to third=party insure and only once created a claim for something lost but I self-closed it before they could decide wether to honour it because my honourable buyer reported the item received. There had been flooding in Germany at the time and his Customs office had to be re-located so the parcel went AWOL for a time.

I think, perhaps naively, that if you have a bar code number (like Small or Light Packets) and an Acceptance Scan receipt from the postal counter, PLUS a notarized statement from the buyer, this will suffice for most claims. The latter is most problematic to my mind. It requires the buyer take extra steps and if they already have a refund through the Moneyback Guarantee, their motivation to comply is evaporated.

However, not all items are insurable. And not all destinations are eligible. Those also need to be flushed out.

Message 31 of 59
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

Thanks for the info, mj.

I checked the Shipinsurance website (aimed towards frequent or regular customers) and was directed to their sister company, Insure Post, which will insure on as needed basis.

They stated: "When you purchase insurance, we require a tracking or customs number that uniquely identifies your package." That makes sense, of course, but if I had tracking, I could stay with Canada Post.

I also checked U-PIC and while they have many pages of Q&A's, you can't really see the process until you create an account.  I can't help but think they operate the same way as Insure Post.

The way Dutchman's post read, it sounded like you could pay postage for a light packet and then pay a couple of dollars more for insurance with a private company.  I guess I was being naïve to think that would be a simple process.

For Insurepost the procedure is straightforward.  For a Light Packet or a Small Packet package, print up the postage on PayPal, print the label page twice, bring the package to the post office with the second copy, have the clerk date stamp the second copy and you have Proof of Mailing which is what InsurePost wants.  Maybe you can skip the second copy and get a recipt at the post office instead. I used Insurepost only a couple of times and I Printed a second copy.

Having the PayPal online receipt for purchase of postage is not enough, you have to have proof you mailed the item.

U-Pic did not require Proof of Mailing a couple of years ago when I was checking them out after finding out the InsurePost wants Proof of Mailing. This may have changed since then.

Of course, having to go to the Post Office to get Proof of Mailings is a pain for Light Packet as they will check the item to make sure it fits the 2 cm slot. Having to go for Small Packet too is a pain if you used the corner mail box for these packages saving a trip to the post office.

In the InsurePost Questions page, they specifically mention proof of acceptance at a post office.

http://www.insurepost.com/questions.asp#GEN22

What type of proof of mailing do I need?

Canada Post shippers: We are aware that some Canada Post classes of service, like Small Packet, may not contain a tracking or customs number. In order to cover your packages with InsurePost.com, make sure that your shipments have some form of indication of acceptance from Canada Post. You can have your Postal Representative or Post Master provide an acceptance stamp on your shipping receipt that indicates their acceptance into the mail flow.

Message 32 of 59
latest reply

I don't bother with Paypal or Ebay if I need a postal receipt for insurance.

I get the envelope ready, fill out a white customs form, Take everything to the post office, they put a label on it, and stamp the back of the customs form.

Any claims, send Shipsurance by email, the scans of the front and back of the customs form, the postal receipt, and copy of invoice. That is perfectly acceptable with them and I have had no issues.

I can't insure 90% of my orders through CP because they won't insure.

I don't send out a lot that need insurance so for me it is not an issue

Message 33 of 59
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

For Insurepost the procedure is straightforward.  For a Light Packet or a Small Packet package, print up the postage on PayPal, print the label page twice, bring the package to the post office with the second copy, have the clerk date stamp the second copy and you have Proof of Mailing which is what InsurePost wants.  Maybe you can skip the second copy and get a recipt at the post office instead. I used Insurepost only a couple of times and I Printed a second copy.

Having the PayPal online receipt for purchase of postage is not enough, you have to have proof you mailed the item.

U-Pic did not require Proof of Mailing a couple of years ago when I was checking them out after finding out the InsurePost wants Proof of Mailing. This may have changed since then.

Of course, having to go to the Post Office to get Proof of Mailings is a pain for Light Packet as they will check the item to make sure it fits the 2 cm slot. Having to go for Small Packet too is a pain if you used the corner mail box for these packages saving a trip to the post office.

In the InsurePost Questions page, they specifically mention proof of acceptance at a post office.

http://www.insurepost.com/questions.asp#GEN22

What type of proof of mailing do I need?

Canada Post shippers: We are aware that some Canada Post classes of service, like Small Packet, may not contain a tracking or customs number. In order to cover your packages with InsurePost.com, make sure that your shipments have some form of indication of acceptance from Canada Post. You can have your Postal Representative or Post Master provide an acceptance stamp on your shipping receipt that indicates their acceptance into the mail flow.

Thanks so much for the detailed info, poco.  I really appreciate it.

Message 34 of 59
latest reply

I do similar to what poco described for proof of shipping.  The way Dutchman does it would work great for me when using discount stamps.

Message 35 of 59
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

It is cheaper for me to send out a light packet with private insurance than to use tracked packet.

Also, CP does not insure many items that private insurance does, so the free CP insurance is totally useless for me.

I'm very interested in this statement.  Would you mind elaborating?  Do you still print your labels through PayPal and insure the packages separately?  What is the process?

I would say 75% of my items are sent Light Packet.  Tracked Packet is out of the question in cases where the value of the item is less than the shipping cost, e.g. a $15 DVD or mascara that would cost $16.00 to ship with tracking.  It's become quite worrisome, since more and more buyers are fraudulently claiming INR, either through an official claim or via e-mail, when they realize the item was shipped without tracking,  With enough experience, you get a feel for those who are lying.  Some sellers advocate the "virtual cookie jar insurance" but that doesn't work for me.  I'm already subsidizing shipping to the U.S. so there is nothing extra to put in the cookie jar.

I wondered when I saw 'dutchman's'  comment too.  I'd never heard of such a thing.  I hope he'll come back and let us know.  

I'm in more or less the same boat as you.  I can send the majority of my patterns by Light Packet, although I'm fortunate to have a very honest buyer base.  The only INR I've ever had was due to a natural disaster at the destination, not buyer fraud. 

I use Auctiva and they do offer insurance (on tracked parcels) at good rates, which I've used on a few occasions to buy excess insurance for expensive items (sent with tracking).  The problem is that these are all U.S. companies, and their restrictions and exclusions are based on U.S. realities.  As far as I know, some proof of acceptance of the item at the point of mailing is generally required in order for coverage to be valid, which in U.S. terms means tracking.  Here for example is part of the coverage text from Auctiva, whose agent is actually Shipsurance (my emphasis): 

"In order for a package to be covered, the shipping carrier must have verified acceptance of your package for mailing. This is found on the respective tracking websites of the shipping carriers. If a shipping label is printed but not scanned by the carrier as accepted it is deemed as never been mailed and there is no coverage."

I suppose one could possibly take the chance of using something else as a "verified acceptance".  However, it wouldn't make any sense to me to take a risk on the insurance being invalidiated if I'm buying insurance in order to avoid risk.  In Auctiva's case, they will only insure a non-tracked USPS parcel sent domestically (i.e. within the U.S.), with coverage limited to $1,000.00.  I'm going to try to find out, but given this statement, I doubt they'd cover a Canada Post non-tracked parcel, especially not anything sent abroad.   

If you do use a 3rd party insurer, it's crucial to get beyond all the front-page website hype to find and carefully peruse the actual terms and conditions (and exclusions) that pertain.  Usually those terms are in small print well down the bottom of the page (for good reason)!  Otherwise, you may just be throwing good money away.  

For example, Auctiva's insurer (actually Shipsurance), being a U.S. company, won't insure parcels going to any country sanctioned by U.S. law, which doesn't help Canadians wanting to ship to certain countries that our own government allows.  Below is the list of Auctiva's/Shipsurance's excluded destinations, which I imagine would also apply if you use Shipsurance directly.  Note the "aircraft touchdown" provision -- I recall a few years ago a Canadian seller who had run into this problem with a shipment to Russia.  The parcel (an expensive item) went astray somewhere on the ground between the airport and the destination and wasn't covered.  

In other words, you really don't have any coverage at all for the leg of the trip where you'd probably most need it in those countries! 

"Shipments sent to Afghanistan, Angola, Bolivia, Burma, Congo, Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Ivory Coast (Cote d'Ivoire), Liberia, Nigeria, North Korea, Paraguay, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Venezuela. Any location that would be in violation of any U.S. economic or trade sanctions including OFAC Restricted Countries. For shipments to Russian and other Commonwealth of Independent States countries (includes Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Russia, Russian Federation, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan) coverage ceases upon touchdown of the aircraft at the airport of destination or upon discharge from the overseas vessel at the destination discharge port."

At any rate, paying an extra dollar or two to insure a $20 item wouldn't be an attractive idea in my situation even if it could be done.  I accept the relatively low risk of an occasional $20 item, but you're probably in a category where fraud is more of an issue.  

There is no easy answer, unless 'dutchman' has a secret he'd like to share.  I don't think Tracked Packet is the solution for these kinds of items either.  Still, I must admit that I've been surprised more than once when I had a multiple-item order and planned to use Small Packet -- on checking Tracked Packet I found it was less than $2.00 more, so I opted for it.  However, the extra money is only really justifiable on a multiple-item order where the total value is sufficiently high.  

With Canada Post rates forever rising, I think paying for insurance on Light/Small Packet is going to become less and less practicable anyway.  I see it as a matter of outlay for insurance vs. the likely cost of losses in a given time period.  And of course losses can be written off against income. 

Message 36 of 59
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Thanks 'poco' -- genie-in-the-bottle as usual.  Woman Very Happy

Please ignore my earlier post about Auctiva.  This is clearly a good solution.  Ironically, I do this anyway (getting a second copy of the label stamped at the P.O.) every time I send a Light or Small Packet parcel.  

Does anyone who has used this service have any experience with the other end of the process (claims), and how easy or difficult it is?

Message 37 of 59
latest reply

Read my post above. Claims are very simple but do take some time as for international, you can't file for 45 days from mailing date.

You may have to refund before the claim is finalized depending on how patient the buyer is or if Ebay will allow insurance to be dealt with first.

Message 38 of 59
latest reply

Forgot to mention, the buyer will have to fill out a form for non receipt and return that to Insurepost. All done by email and I have never had an issue with the buyer filling it out.

I f the buyer balks at filling it out, I would be very suspicious that they did not receive it.

I have never had to fill out a claim for damage, only non receipt, so I have no idea what all happens for a damaged item with private insurance.

Message 39 of 59
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Forgot to mention, the buyer will have to fill out a form for non receipt and return that to Insurepost. All done by email and I have never had an issue with the buyer filling it out.

If the buyer balks at filling it out, I would be very suspicious that they did not receive it.

I have never had to fill out a claim for damage, only non receipt, so I have no idea what all happens for a damaged item with private insurance.

No kidding!  This reminds me of something femme (reallynicestamps) used to suggest.   She would say, tell the buyer that you are more than happy to send a refund for the lost item.  But also let them know that Canada Post will be doing an investigation and they will likely get a request for a statement regarding the lost item. Smiley Happy

Funny how some of those items just happened to turn up in the mail the very next day!

Message 40 of 59
latest reply