New Seller - Shipping from Canada to US

Hi,

I just made an eBay account and I could only understand how shipping would work in Canada.

But eventually (actually pretty soon) I would want to be able to ship to USA but the problem is it's very confusing and the only option it would give me is giving the buyer a flat rate to USA. I'm going to be sending it through Canada Post. 

I was wondering if there is an option where eBay can calculate the cost of shipping automatically to the States depending on where they are located? Also to International?

Do I have to go to the post office every single time and make them weigh out the product and see how much it costs? I hope not because that's super tiring and inconvenient. 

Thanks. I hope this makes sense. Total newbie.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

You can look up the rates ahead of time many ways, here are links to the Canada Post "manuals"

Here is the main page, once you get your solutions for small business, you would look under the business prices tab. (if not you can use the counter prices instead)

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/default-e.asp 

You'll also need to go here to get the master page to use against the look up tables:

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/FSA_RateCodeLookup-e.asp 

These will allow you to look up the pricing anywhere, and will allow you to figure out your "best average" price to use for the flat rate shipping price of packages. (You will probably pick something in the top 3/4 of the price range to protect yourself)

Depending where all you ultimately ship to, here are the international customs guidelines, this will let you know what you can't ship where...

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGintdest-e.asp

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

if you want to make life simple... 

Get a digital kitchen scale. Weigh your items (with packing materials) and input dimensions and weight when you list them. 

Let eBay calculate postage automatically. They seem to use 1st discount level of Solutions for Small Business account.

Use Shippo (or PayPal) to create labels and print at home

Drop off at post office.

There's a bunch more complicated, potentially cheaper and faster ways but if simple is it, I feel that's the best option. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I use flat rate pricing. Easy for me because my items all ship using similar packaging and weight. This would be cumbersome if items were all different.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

You want a Solutions for Small Business number. You get that free at the PO (post office or outlet) or online.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/business/small-business.page?

The card also allows you to buy Expedited parcel services which are only available with the number.

BTW- Canada Post is not fussy, you can ship personal stuff with the number and discounts as well.

You need the digital scale. You need the tape measure.

ONLY use metric measures. Canada Post went metric in 1974, anything else will lead to errors.

Are you still being defaulted into the terrible Simplified Sell Your Item form? That may be part of your problem.

The Advanced/Business form link can be found at the top right of the overSimplified form.

EBay allows you to choose Flat Rate OR Calculated Rate shipping.

Calculated Rates show your customer his cost to his doorstep automatically.

To test it your self use postal code K1A 0A6 or zipcode 90210. If you don't, you just get the price to your own house.

If you are shipping something under 2cm thick and under 500 grams in weight, you can use the cheap, fast and reliable Letter rates.

Letter service is not trackable.

Thicker or heavier and you have to use parcel rates, and that means Calculated, because they use not only weight and dimensions but also destinations to choose the rate.

Most parcels are tracked automatically.

As an aside. YOU choose the shipping service. You can't increase the cost. after the buyer has purchased but you can upgrade the service if you want to.

If the buyer wants a cheaper service, he means he doesn't want you to track it and plans to scam you.

Some sales are not worth having.

Shipping is the hardest part of selling online. You will mess it up. We all do.

Never guess about shipping rates.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply