PEOPLE, PEOPLE - QUIT YOUR BELLY-ACHING re LATE SHIPPING/DELIVERY/HANDLING/ TIME DEFECTS.

People, People - Quit it already!   You don't have to get late delivery defects.

Foil eBay and the complaining buyers.     When listing pick the longest possible handling time and the shipping with the longest delivery time.  I have been doing this for years and have never encountered any complaints.  Some buyers ask me about the long delivery time on my listings.  I simply tell them that is "FAKE NEWS FROM eBAY".  🤣

You can post a disclaimer about the long delivery time at the top of your listings.   I have posted an explaination on delivery time at the bottom of my listings.  My 60+ days estimated delivery time has not affected my sales.  Granted, I am not selling as much right now as I had in the past, but that is beside the point.  

Don't discredit my suggstion.  Try it first.  Try this extended estimated delivery time and see what happens.

It's bad enough that you don't get your money until weeks after a buyer pays (yes, I'm waiting for some money to show up in my bank account) without having to deal with INR issues.      

Good luck!     

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

PEOPLE, PEOPLE - QUIT YOUR BELLY-ACHING re LATE SHIPPING/DELIVERY/HANDLING/ TIME DEFECTS.

An afterthought.........just because eBay's suggested delivery time does not allow enough time for the letter/parcel to be delivered, you can compensate by extending your handling time and checking the mailing service that uses the longest delivery time.  That doesn't mean that you will have to use those perameters.  You are just protecting yourself by allowing more time for your sale items to be delivered before a buyer can file a late delivery or INR complaint. 

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

Selecting shipping and handling options to increase the delivery window won't get you near "60+ days".

I'd be ringing the bell long before your "60+ days estimated delivery time".

I have no doubt the transaction will refunded in full long before "60+ days" and eBay's dispute window has closed.

"Seller does not accept returns" is another fallacy.

You may not want an item returned, fine, but you'll still be refunding.

Actuaslly, if I saw "60+ days estimated delivery time" on a listing, I'd move on and shop elsewhere.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Well, well  mcgrimm....... Your unsubstantiated comments are uncalled for since you have not looked at all the facts.

Check my feedback.

I have 100%  RATING in all categories including "SHIPPING SPEED". 

Look at my auctions where I have selected "ECONOMY INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING". 

Look at DELIVERY ESTIMATE as of today, August 4....  it is estimated between

Wed., October 6 and Thurs., October 21.    FYI that's a window of 61 to 78 days

And if anyone disputed delivery before the estimated delivery time is up, eBay would side with me. 

"Seller does not accept returns" is not a fallacy.  I DO NOT accept returns. 

I have NEVER had anyone request to return an item to me.  I have NEVER had a return.   Look at my feedback.

I have been selling on eBay for over 21 years and have NEVER HAD TO REFUND ANYONE, EVER.

I am glad to see that you would move on and shop elsewhere if you saw 60+ days estimated delivery time on my auction because you would likely be one of those problem buyers that I wouldn't want to deal with in the first place. 

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Rather than criticizing my post, please check  my latest feedback left by a very satisfied buyer for his purchase.

Note that expected delivery was  September 22 but item was received August 5. 

I actually mailed that parcel on July 28 so delivery to the USA took only 8 days.

Buyer also sent me this private message:  

"I am in collector's heaven. Thank you. Also thanks for the mantle! Very generous of you. See my feedback comments all can see.  I ended up with a fully restored museum quality Aladdin original Alacite lamp and parts and shade. Scheduled to arrive Sept 22 got here Aug 5. Thank you. I would recommend you anytime. I'll keep coming back. You've made a friend."

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

what may work for you, may not work for everyone so stop trying to convince the world that what you do will be the solution for everyone else!!

...there is NO blanket solution....so folks can critize if they so please...

and BTW, NO returns DOES NOT mean no refunds!!

YOUR situation/YOUR experience DOES NOT equate to what so many others are experiencing so what YOUR experience is and what YOU do does not mean much to others who have different situations/different experiences , so just because you have said it works well for you, DOES NOT make it so for the rest of the world...

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with @mrdutch1001 on this one. The items you sell are extremely rare and unique and I'm sure your buyers will wait any amount of time to get their hands on them if they really want them. I'm also pretty sure you don't have much competition either. 

Will a 60+ day delivery date for my items attract buyers when there are hundreds if not thousands of the same item from other buyers that arrive in 7-14 days? Absolutely not. 

I think your shipping idea is just that - an idea - one that people can consider. It's not a solution for everyone. If it's viable and works for them, great. If it doesn't, it doesn't. 

However, what people don't need is your hostile attitude where you come blazing in, telling everyone to "quit their belly-aching" about valid shipping concerns that the majority have with INRs, just because they don't (and can't) use the ridiculous shipping scheme that works for you. And I think your comments and accusations towards @mcrlmn are especially uncalled for from an experienced seller shuch as yourself. 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@mrdutch1001.......  No one said that this was a "blanket solution".  But you are flying off the handle and jumping to conclusions without you and others giving another idea a try. 

I never said that no returns DOES NOT mean no refunds.  I said that in over 20 years on eBay, I have NEVER had to do any returns or refunds.

My idea for my suggestion was so that people do not have to deal with defects and INRs and all those other annoyances with slow delivery.  But if you don't want to try my suggestion, don't bother.  Go ahead.......Just keep putting up with late delivery defects and dealing with all those INR cases and annoyances. 

@t_bjarnason 

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

and just what makes you think all this was a "NEW" idea/suggestion...this idea has been tossed around the forums on more than one occasion by others over the years, so what makes you think you are the only one who has used this approach? I would guess that countless others have tried this and it simply doesn't work for them or for many situations and/or many products/items.  Canadian sellers have had to deal with postal shutdowns/strikes & so forth over the years, you don't think we haven't tried this approach before? c'mon, we are not  that dumb!

There is NOTHING new about this idea...hell I've tried a variety of handling times/messages in descriptions,etc. over the past several years and NO they don't always work...you have to have buyers actually read this stuff....but in many cases this approach is not compatible with a seller's items, so telling everyone this should work for them because it's what you do, IS NOT the answer. I am happy that this all works fine & dandy for you but don't try to pass this off as something that every seller needs/has to do to remedy the situation.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@t_bjarnason.......... FYI ....... what I am selling has nothing to do with shipping and delivery time.

Glad to see that you agree with @mrdutch1001 .

People's shipping concerns are not valid.   On what basis are you assuming that people cannot extend their shipping time?   You people are not willing to work with the system as it exists and are not willing to come up with another solution for extended delivery time...... which ALL of us are dealing with................  then go ahead .........keep getting your INR defects and defects for item not delivered in estimated time. 

On what basis are you saying that this is not a "solution for everyone"?    How do you know that?   If EVERYONE has a long  delivery time....now what are buyers going to do? 

And your remark that my system is "ridiculous" was uncalled for. 

Also, I don't think my attitude is hostile.  You have your perception and I have my perception.  My idea was to give people another idea to try instead of complaining about the system that will not change for them.   

So you think my comments toward @mcrlmn  were not called for.  How about his comments to me?  Totally unsubstantiated with no facts to back up what he wrote. 

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

You know Mr. Dutch ......... @mrdutch1001 ............. all you are doing is venting and speculating.  What do postal strikes and shutdowns have to do with anything.  I've been her since 1998 (first two years on a different account).  I've seen and survived it all.  At least I have done something to keep myself free of defects.  

So if this approach didn't work for you, did you take responsibility and come up with another idea that would work?   Noooooooo.  You just blame it on something or someone else.  

You stated "in many cases this approach is not compatible with a seller's items".  

"Many cases"?  "Items"? Such as?

How does "delivery time" have to be "compatible with the item you are selling"?   Just what is that supposed to mean? 

No one said anything was a new idea.  And I didn't say anyone was dumb. What made you say that? 

All I said was set your handling time at 30 days and choose the longest shipping time.  Set it and forget it.  No explanation is necessary to anyone.  This way you are not going to get defects for INR within the estimated extended delivery time.   If you don't want to protect yourself, then don't bother doing anything.  Just keep belly aching and blame it on someone else.  

If you have a good product  it will sell itself.  If you have to "fight" to sell your product then maybe it's not worth the effort.  Simple. 

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

I have bought & sold on eBay since 2001, and likewise " I've seen and survived it all." ....AND did "something to keep myself free of defects."

O, BTW I am not venting, I am not bellyaching,and just where did I mention that I "just blame it on something or someone else."?????

I already mentioned I have used this approach for years...but it is Not flawless and it is not always going to work and/or work without issues. Sometimes it matters not how hard we work at preventing something from happening or how much effort is put into doing the best possible, in some cases/situations that just isn't enough. There is no such thing as perfection and despite every possible effort made, not all things end well...

While you take your stance on this debate, there is another side and that is what I have pointed out as I AM SUPPORTING those sellers who cannot work with your idea/suggestion...because There is NO guarantee against defects...all a seller can do is everything possible to prevent that,  but that's not a guarantee and eBay itself is anything but flawless in anything it does so using this idea/suggestion is NO guarantee against INR cases and/or defects...

It is what it is...a preventive measure but NOT a guarantee of anything.

Again, I am happy this all works for you, but there is NO easy solution/nothing that is going to work 100% of the time for 100% of the sellers.

so let's just let both sides be discussed and let other sellers have their say no matter what side of this debate they take. We are all allowed an opinion, no matter whether we agree with you or disagree...

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@gwrocen 

FYI ....... what I am selling has nothing to do with shipping and delivery time.

Let's use a real-world example so you can better understand that it really does have to do with the items you are selling.

Search "1950s HAPPY HOME NEEDLE BOOK Needles & Threader Art #541 Japan" on eBay and see how many results come up. If I really want this rare item, even though it has a 60+ day delivery date, who are my choices to buy from? 

Now, search "Pikachu 58/102" and out of the 1,166 results that come up, are you going to go with the 7 day arrival date that ships within 2 days, or are you going to go with the one that could ship in 30 days and arrive in 60+ days? 

See how what you sell and what others sell makes a difference? This takes me to my next point: 

On what basis are you saying that this is not a "solution for everyone"?    How do you know that?

How do I know this? See my example above. It sure doesn't work for me. And there are others that have said it doesn't for for them either. So therefore, it's not a solution for everyone.

Lastly, there are ways to say things that are less hostile. Let's use some more examples. 

Instead of saying "quit your belly-aching" (basically "stop complaining until you try what I do") you can say something similar like:

"Hey everyone, I have an idea that works well for me... something for you to consider as well as it may help you with INRs."

See, much more friendly. 

And as far as @mcrlmn 's comments, how do you know they aren't factual? How do we know that what you say works is even factual? Maybe you haven't ever actually had anyone even try to claim an INR agains you so maybe you don't even really know if this TRULY works. Who knows. No one really does. It's all speculation and an idea - not something without fallacy that you can use to discredit everyone else's opinion and undermine their concerns over INRs. 

Plus, if someone is going to intentionally rip you off and scam you with an INR, they will do it after your 30+ days anyways. Shipping time won't make a difference. 

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@gwrocen 

Your suggestion goes against what eBay expects of you and you are intentionally decieving your buyers. 

Any new seller that reads this thread DO NOT do what this seller is suggesting or your payments will likely get held up for weeks like his.

Do the exact opposite.  Choose a handling time you can meet and try to exceed it.  Ship same day when possible there's a lot of buyers that greatly appreciate when you get an item out quickly and many understand delays in the mail are out of your control.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@mcrlmn wrote:

Selecting shipping and handling options to increase the delivery window won't get you near "60+ days".

I'd be ringing the bell long before your "60+ days estimated delivery time".

I have no doubt the transaction will refunded in full long before "60+ days" and eBay's dispute window has closed.

"Seller does not accept returns" is another fallacy.

You may not want an item returned, fine, but you'll still be refunding.

Actuaslly, if I saw "60+ days estimated delivery time" on a listing, I'd move on and shop elsewhere.

From ecommercebytes August Forum: Improving eBay's Delivery Estimates

Can Students Help eBay Improve Delivery Estimates? (ecommercebytes.com)

The comments make an interesting read even from a dot com USPS perspective. Good luck with international estimates!!!!

-Lotz

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

@mr.special-editions

Your suggestion goes against what eBay expects of you and you are intentionally decieving your buyers.

Any new seller that reads this thread DO NOT do what this seller is suggesting or your payments will likely get held up for weeks like his.

I beg to differ with you.

And just what does eBay expect of me?  I believe it is to ship promptly and safely

which is exactly what I do.

I am not deceiving anybody.  I am protecting myself.

I always send my buyers an email message after I mail their purchase letting them know

what the exact expected shipping time will be.

Look at my feedback.  Do you see any negatives?  No.

Do you see any negative comments about my shipping time?  No. 

Do you see positive feedback from happy buyers?  YES!

My payments have not been held up because of shipping time.

Payments were initially held up due to an eBay glitch. 

All is well now.

New sellers (actually all sellers) - I recommend that you do as I have suggested. 

This will save you any future hassles and negative feedback re shipping time.

It will save you from getting any defects because of late delivery. 

You will have happy buyers who appreciate getting there purchases

in good time and often earlier than expected. 

Message 16 of 16
latest reply