Promotion That Includes Good 'Til Cancelled

I got a promotion that says:

"Only 5-, 7-, 10-, 30-day, and Good 'Til Cancelled listing durations are included in this Promotion."

When I add an item using the "Good 'Til Cancelled" option, it used up the FREE listing - which is good.  What I am unclear about, if anyone knows, is there a re-curring fee if I choose the "Good 'Til Cancelled" option or is it free to list until it's sold?

Thanks!

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Promotion That Includes Good 'Til Cancelled

The first listing - for the first 30 days is free - you will have to pay the applicable fee if the item does not sell during the first 30 days and is relisted automatically by eBay under GTC.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Ahhh!  Thank you so much 🙂

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Holy *&*?! Just read your listing as I try to figure out what went wrong with my GTC listings. I feel abused! If eBay meant for GTC to only be free during the "free listing period", then shouldn't it be: 7 days, 10 days, GTC and 30 days listings instead of the current: 7 days, 10 days, 30 days and GTC listings? Because that's what it is: GTC lasts equal to or less than a 30 day listing.

The name GTC is also misleading because free listings are about free fees, not about administrative practices such as how much work it takes for me to manage my listings - for example the additional effort and time it takes to renew a posting.

Once again, I am not impressed. Misleading name, misleading calling it a promotion that is GTC.

Gotta go cancel my listings now so I don't keep paying eBay money in response to supposed deals.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@thebluetortoise wrote:

Holy *&*?! Just read your listing as I try to figure out what went wrong with my GTC listings. I feel abused! If eBay meant for GTC to only be free during the "free listing period", then shouldn't it be: 7 days, 10 days, GTC and 30 days listings instead of the current: 7 days, 10 days, 30 days and GTC listings? Because that's what it is: GTC lasts equal to or less than a 30 day listing.

The name GTC is also misleading because free listings are about free fees, not about administrative practices such as how much work it takes for me to manage my listings - for example the additional effort and time it takes to renew a posting.

Once again, I am not impressed. Misleading name, misleading calling it a promotion that is GTC.

Gotta go cancel my listings now so I don't keep paying eBay money in response to supposed deals.

You seem to be confused about a lot of things and I expect this will continue unless you start to actually read what is put in front of you.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Sounds like that's where the $300 fee came from... the commentor didn't end his GTC listings within 30 days and got charged on day 31. EBay probably agreed to a courtesy credit the first month it happened but won't do it again (understandably) so the commentor actually does owe $300 in fees now? So it's not ebay using him to finance money as he claimed but him not understanding the fine details of promos and got dinged. Just speculating.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

When a few months ago eBay forced us to use GTC, I put up a very colorful post-it-note with date (on my computer monitor) to end the GTC before it ended so I don't get dinged with unwanted hefty insertion fees and it worked each time.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

When a few months ago eBay forced us to use GTC, I put up a very colorful post-it-note with date (on my computer monitor) to end the GTC before it ended so I don't get dinged with unwanted hefty insertion fees and it worked each time.

eBay can't force anyone to use GTC... you can simply disregard the promo and not use it if you felt that you were being forced to use something that's free. You could always list the way you wanted to if you pay insertion fee. I don't use every single free promo eBay hands us. 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Yes, although I've been selling on eBay for a while, this is the first time I'm using GTC, so learning lessons the hard way unfortunately. And am STILL trying to understand what the GTC offer really is. (Never mind the automatic renewals - that's just an administrative benefit, which is why I find this to be such a misnomer.)

For example, I recently received a free GTC offer that ran from Nov 8 to Nov 18. According to what eBay CS is now telling me, my GTC listing must be cancelled before midnight on Nov 18 to prevent an insertion fee from being charged. So this is a GTC listing for 10 days? Which means I should really have had all of those listings posted Nov 8 to maximize that window.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

The only difference between a gtc and a 30 day listing is that a gtc keeps renewing every 30 days unless the item(s) are sold or you end the listing manually.  (If you use the out of stock function it keeps renewing even if the item is sold out).  A 30 day listing ends after 30 days.

If you list an item on nov 8 as a gtc it will run for 30 days and if not cancelled before that time is up it would be renewed and be used as one of your free listings or you would be charged the listing fee,  If you start a gtc on the last day of the promo, the same thing would happen...it would renew in 30 days,,,,

The dates of the promotion refer only to the dates thst you can start a listing ....they have nothing yo do with when the listing has to end.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@thebluetortoise wrote:

Yes, although I've been selling on eBay for a while, this is the first time I'm using GTC, so learning lessons the hard way unfortunately. And am STILL trying to understand what the GTC offer really is. (Never mind the automatic renewals - that's just an administrative benefit, which is why I find this to be such a misnomer.)

For example, I recently received a free GTC offer that ran from Nov 8 to Nov 18. According to what eBay CS is now telling me, my GTC listing must be cancelled before midnight on Nov 18 to prevent an insertion fee from being charged. So this is a GTC listing for 10 days? Which means I should really have had all of those listings posted Nov 8 to maximize that window.

So let's say you started listing GTC on Nov 20, mark your calendar to end them all before Dec 19 on the safe side (remember some months are 30 days some are 31 days, and well February is a different story lol) so that you don't get charged. It is not as complicated as you think it is. It's slightly more work but it's still free listings 🙂 if I know the end date conflicts with my work schedule I'd even end them sooner just in case I missed it because I'd rather miss a few days of sales than to get burned by extra insertion fee... 😉

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

What are you going to do when eBay offers us 50K free promo with GTC?  I need to list and also to relist them as the free promos are the ones that I sold my items more than my monthly 500/1000 free listings!  eBay should offer us the choice of 30-day or GTC not to force us to use GTC.  I think it is eBay is hoping that many of sellers forget the deadline line and then ding us with the heft insertion fees.  That is the purpose of it!  Nice of eBay.  Eh??

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

What are you going to do when eBay offers us 50K free promo with GTC?  I need to list and also to relist them as the free promos are the ones that I sold my items more than my monthly 500/1000 free listings!  eBay should offer us the choice of 30-day or GTC not to force us to use GTC.  I think it is eBay is hoping that many of sellers forget the deadline line and then ding us with the heft insertion fees.  That is the purpose of it!  Nice of eBay.  Eh??

I'd use the promo if it's useful for me, but I wouldn't say I was forced to use it since eBay obviously didn't point a gun to my head to make me use it. It's up to eBay what it offers as free listings because eBay isn't charity; it's a business and it's here to make money in case you forgot. If you were around 5+ years ago you'd remember that we never had as many free promos as now.

I'm sorry but I do not understand the mentality of people who complain about freebies. If you don't like it then leave it; it's that simple. If people can't even read the fine prints of a GTC promo and learn to cancel it before the deadline then perhaps the promo isn't for them. It's just like how certain subscription services are only free for the first 2 weeks or something and you need to cancel before the 2 weeks is up to not get charged. eBay isn't the only one that does this. 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

^^^^^ This

Plus, out of the hundreds of promos that eBay has handed out in the past (almost) 5 years there have only been a handful that were ONLY for GTC.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 14 of 14
latest reply