Protecting sellers during Covid 19

What is eBay doing to protect sellers for delayed shipments during covid 19? I have buyers counting the days and taking advantage by opening disputes ASAP.

Further, if I can prove purchase of a shipping label, why does eBay refund my shipping fees?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Protecting sellers during Covid 19

if I can prove purchase of a shipping label,

You are not required to buy a shipping label*, but you are required to show Proof of Delivery.

There are some untracked but cheap services, like LetterPost or Small Packet USA, which are worth using although the seller will lose any Item Not Received Dispute.

For some of us, the number of losses at the end of the year, is so minimal, less than the one percent retail average, that the savings in using the cheaper service make up for the occasional lost or (more often) delayed package.

If a tracked service is used, the seller can send a polite request for repayment of the invoice, including a Paypal invoice. This works about half the time.

Also:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Announcements/Temporary-changes-to-timelines-for-Returns-and-Claims-dur...

*Personally, I use discounted mint postage stamps.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

They aren't doing anything outside of the norm, except not counting late shipment defects. 

They do not understand that a significant amount of Canadian sellers only have untracked services available to them at a price that makes it possible for them to bring adequate value to their customers. 

eBay should be doing more to give buyers realistic expectations. It seems to me like their strategy has been to try and take advantage of the opportunity that Amazon at the start of the pandemic giving realistic expectations to buyers created. Let people buy things, thinking they'd arrive at normal times, and then have sellers deal with the extra customer management that is inevitably required when items take 20-30 days due to postal delays. 

I also think, they should not allow cases to be opened for 45 days after a purchase. A worst case scenario with Letter Mail right now is about 35-40 days. Same with Small Packet Air. Unfortunately for Small Packet Air, while it used to have tracking in "My Ebay", it is now a toss up whether an order will be tracked. Like I said before, Canadian sellers have to use these services to remain competitive. The amount of money I've lost to INR cases has gone up substantially. It is not relative to my sales. 

My experience is that, I don't think buyers as a whole are trying to game the system. Obviously there will always be a scammer here or there, but they would scam you regardless of COVID. If you tell 100 buyers that their item might take 30-40 days, most will wait, but there will always be a handful who get anxious and open a case, which then has to be refunded within 3 business days because there is no tracking info. At that point, the buyer can be instructed to let you know when an item arrives so that you can send a new Paypal invoice, or refuse the package so that it will be returned. Some people will do that, some people won't. If you have to send an INR refund, it is best to consider it lost revenue until proven otherwise. 

Now that the quarantine sales bump is over with, I have less incentive than ever to sell. eBay isn't really doing much to equalize against the added challenges that come with operating in a pandemic. My margins are higher due to INR cases. Sourcing is more difficult because less places are open. I also have to devote a much greater amount of time to customer service because of postal delays.

eBay did give a coupon for 25 percent off final value fees for items in a category I sell in, but unless it only applied to newly listed items. So I only ended up getting it on about half my sales, since the other half weren't re-listed after activating the coupon before selling. 

Each seller has to decide whether there is enough incentive to continue operating with the added challenges of the pandemic. My guess is that eBay feels sellers have enough incentive, because they've done very little to try and swing seller behavior into selling more during the pandemic. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

should not allow cases to be opened for 45 days after a purchase.

I think eBay (and more importantly sellers) would lose many sellers if that were the policy.

Not immediately, but any reasonable customer in a failed transaction (including delayed delivery) would not return to the site.

And the saying is "A happy customer tells a friend. An unhappy customer tells 300 friends."

In any case, many transactions already have longer delivery windows than a mere 45 days.

We often see buyers complaining that their item has not arrived after two months and they still can't open a Dispute for another month.

Those sellers (most overseas, some scammers) have extended their handling time, which then extends delivery time.

I've suggested before that one way of dealing with the pandemic slowdown in shipping services is to change our Handling time from same day/48 hours  to five, seven or even 30 days.

Tell the customer it will arrive in 10 days and it arrives in 15? Unhappy customer.

Tell the customer it will arrive in 20 days and it arrives in 15? Happy customer.

I think this is a corollary of Micawber's Principle.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

would lose many sellers

s/b
would lose many BUYERS
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Tell the customer it will arrive in 10 days and it arrives in 15? Unhappy customer.

And that is the problem. eBay's shipping team is more concerned with getting the sale, which means unrealistic delivery estimates that are not reflective of the current reality of shipping, internationally or otherwise. The delivery guarantee program has just trained customers to open INRs as soon as the later delivery estimate has passed. 

As you have stated the best way to address this is handling times, or switching to a generic shipping option that displayers a longer deliver estimate.  That being said the shipping team has also decided to override seller handling times. Having your shipping information clearly spelled out in your description is recommended, although ebay goes and hides that for mobile viewers by default. 

All ebay seems to care about is getting the initial sale and the ability of a seller to manage expectations is being slowly eroded. When you start manipulating buyer expectations to garner sales it is a pretty slippery slope. In my opinion it is a pretty scummy way to do things.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Because eBay doesn’t protect its sellers. That’s why we can ship something buyer claims didn’t get they are refunded. Or the buyer claims it’s not what they ordered we accept return even though the item is as described they just don’t seem to read return what ever they want and get a refund even if it’s an empty box eBay doesn’t care about it’s sellers and this is why they will fail at some point.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I've long been of the opinion that the empty box/brick return is an urban legend.

Some scammers will return a different version of the purchased item-- an iPhone 2 for an iPhone 10 for example.

But the seller does have some protections.

Even if he has a No Returns policy (which is NOT a No Refunds policy, btw) the seller can demand the return of the disputed item.

He may be required to supply* a return shipping label.

If the item is not returned the Dispute fails and no refund is required.

For Not Received disputes, eBay will sometimes give extra time for delivery when the seller can supply a tracking number and it shows the item is moving. They have reportedly been pretty good about this during the Summer of COVID, however there is an announcement that this is coming to an end.  From my own observations, the mailstream seems to be pretty much back on track, although it has never been as fast as buyers think it will be.

For both kinds of Dispute, well, Cookie Jar Insurance.

We add a few cents from every sale to a virtual Cookie Jar as a self -insurance premium.
Most sellers find the Cookie Jar is actually a profit centre, just like a real insurance company, because most people are honest and most problems can be solved.

*Always worth mentioning that Americans are the worst for this, and the scammers don't seem to know that Canadians can buy USPS shipping labels through Shippo.com. Mwah hah hah hah.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I have read this on another thread. You can input the small packet number into eBay. Most times I have done this it is tracked, but only on eBay not Canada post or USPS. I even have gotten delivery notifications.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply