Recovering Insurance Cost from Canada Post

chphan
Community Member

Short story, someone claim that they got their item damage and requested a partial refund. I gave that partial refund. Now I need to recover the cost from Canada Post since there was insurance coverage on it. 

How anyone gone through this process and if so how does it work?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@chphan wrote:

Short story, someone claim that they got their item damage and requested a partial refund. I gave that partial refund. Now I need to recover the cost from Canada Post since there was insurance coverage on it. 

How anyone gone through this process and if so how does it work?

Link attached for making claims for both Canada/USA, Intl shipments.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/kb/sending/issues/what-to-do-if-the-parcel-you...

Results can vary due to CP criteria for making/approving a claim. See pages 66 to 68.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/tools/pg/7_Paying_Terms/Paying_Terms_parcels-e.pdf

-Lotz

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

it is a real pain in the butt, to try to claim for damages.. they will want the original shipping materials kept by the buyer, and photos, they will have to talk to the buyer. I wish you luck..

Insurance is much easier to claim for non delivery than it is for damage..

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Unless the buyer received a notice with the damaged parcel that the damage was caused by Canada Post's negligence, it is very likely to be refused as being a result of poor packaging on your part.

Canada Post explains that you can expect your package to drop two feet from one conveyor belt to the next, then have a 50lb parcel drop on top of it. 

Would your packaging withstand that?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Canada Post explains that you can expect your package to drop two feet from one conveyor belt to the next, then have a 50lb parcel drop on top of it. 

Do you have a link to this information?  I've always been curious to know what amount of rough handling CP would consider "normal" for any package to endure, but this seems a bit... extreme.  Not the first part, of course (not any worse than shoving something into a public mailbox).  But while most boxes are rated to handle 50lb stacked on top, I wonder how many would survive having it dropped over them.

(And on a technical note, I doubt CP's guidelines are in feet and pounds.  A bit surprised @femmefan1946 didn't already comment on this.  ☺)

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Happened to me.  Once.  (Re Can Post or whomever/USPS running over box and destroying it lol).

So learned pretty quick that it's NOT worth paying much for any sort of "Insurance".  (In most cases.)

Because bottom line, it really only covers total LOSS of package.  Not any damage.

So since then I've just always sent stuff 'Expedited' and/or via tracked method.  With no extra for insurance... because it's basically useless anyhow.

Hope that helps!  Good luck with your sales and best,  Alison 🙂

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I attended an eBay seminar in Ottawa in 2000, got a free tee shirt, donuts and coffee and among other presentations was one from an officer from Canada Post Headquarters.

So -- oral information -- hearsay if you like.

I have also been in the Ottawa Terminal for various reasons. Very noisy , very busy.

I've posted pictures of terminals before, I think.

This one is USPSThis one is USPSThis was the Winnipeg terminal I thinkThis was the Winnipeg terminal I think

The upper one is USPS and I think the lower one is the Winnipeg Terminal.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Looking at the boxes, I think I can read "fragile, handle with care" and "This Side Up" in marker on some boxes 😎

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@byto253 wrote:

Looking at the boxes, I think I can read "fragile, handle with care" and "This Side Up" in marker on some boxes 😎

What we did at one company I worked for was custom labels like.....Toss with care, Crush Gently, This end up, PLEASEEEEE!!! It seemed to reduce damages. After awhile employees start to block out those stickers.

-Lotz

Message 9 of 9
latest reply