SO I GUESS IT WOULD BE SAFE TO SAY, NO MORE LIST FOR FREE 100 ITEMS, 30 DAY LISTINGS.. gtc Rant

AS ebay  has pulled the plug, on our list for 30 day listing options.. so as i still believe it is a money grab..as no seller will be able to accurately end listings on day 29..  so why bother sending any more promos, unless they are free auction type listings... oh that is right if we send you 100 good till cancelled listings they will rope in more fees,,, when the auctions  flip over..

please prove me wrong here but i have already had ebay retract the newly listed title when auctions roll over after 30 days..

i for one have a less than .005 percent of people search for my items on any search engine..

all my sales are 100% from ebay searches..

and when i relist something after 30 days, everyone who was watching my items, get a this item has been relisted email..

so please explain to me again, why you are getting rid of fixed price 30 day listings..

when i signed my yearly contract , there was no mention that this option could be changed on me..

tyler@ebay  please respond with more than we feel this will be the best for seller's going forward.. 

i have proof and so do you that gtc listings go down the list of newly listed items, as new similar

type items are listed, and external searches do nothing for people like me who sell coins..

People who buy my items do so by going to ebay first and then searching for my items..

Please allow the people who want to use gtc, do it, those who don't make an exception, as the system is already set up for it.. it takes no effort to keep what we already have..

or perhaps consider grandfathering in those of us who have been here for 15 years plus..

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: SO I GUESS IT WOULD BE SAFE TO SAY, NO MORE LIST FOR FREE 100 ITEMS, 30 DAY LISTINGS.. gtc Rant

as no seller will be able to accurately end listings on day 29

Why not? It seems like a pretty easy thing to do to me.

i for one have a less than .005 percent of people search for my items on any search engine.

This is true for many eBay sellers but WHY? It is NOT normal for almost all other ecommerce. Maybe this is part of the reason that the rate of increase in buyers and goods sold on eBay is so anemic compared to the rest of ecommerce.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Re: SO I GUESS IT WOULD BE SAFE TO SAY, NO MORE LIST FOR FREE 100 ITEMS, 30 DAY LISTINGS.. gtc Rant

for one have a less than .005 percent of people search for my items on any search engine..

I think the idea is that with GTC, listings will be more likely to show up on those search engines *cough*google*cough*  in their second or third rotation as GTC.

With GTC I understand that we will lose the Newly Listed boost, but retain the About To Close boost.

And of course, while the default Best Match uses ATC as a criterion, many members use ATC as their Search, or Lowest Price First, or Highest Price +Shipping.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Sales beget sales.....

It becomes... 

List more... Sell more                          Sell more... List more                                   List more... Sell more

Repeat... Repeat... and continue doing so   again, and again... never stop

Never let your listings go ... stale....   Work and rework  the listings

Make it happen...   All listings are GTC

and then...... Starting June 1  of each year    All listings that end each day will end each morning... and be relisted at about 6:00 PM each day...    for 30 days....  All listings become ... New... listings

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

If it makes you feel better your promoted listings are now showing up in my Instagram feed....

2003 Toonie

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

@esclyons wrote:

"... tyler@ebay  please respond with more than we feel this will be the best for seller's going forward.." 

Hi @esclyons - I agree with @femmefan1946's perspective on this. I'm happy to address any specific questions about this change that you have, but I'm unable to give you a different reasoning as to why this was done. Thanks! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

Hello Tyler,

Do we have a followup confirmed date for when GTC will "kick in"?  I believe the last announcement stated "Early April"? For most of us that would be considered extremely approximate. This will definitely affect OUR planning going forward along with potential expenses.

Thanks,

-Lotz

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - I don't have a specific date to share at this point in time. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

I thought the announcement said it would begin in April... but it's already started on .com. Why? Did I miss something??

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

so ebay is telling us this isn't a money grab, on the extra fees that are going to paid by perhaps millions of sellers. as there auctions roll over after 30 days.. but there is no easy fix, to end listings, this will all have to be done manually by seller's to avoid these extra fees.. How is this not a money grab??  And personally if this all supposedly about placement in external searches i call this hog wash as well.. why would i care where i show up in an external search if my listing has been buried fro months.. This external search is only applicable to big box seller's.. and we realize that is where ebay is heading..  But please don't throw us under the bus, and say this will help us..  This change is only for the high ranking seller's selling millions a year, this change is of no service to the little people selling 10-60,000 a year..

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Hi @lady.stark - the change went into effect today for eBay.com. For eBay.ca the change is still slated to being early April.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

so as a seller, if i don't want this change why am i being forced to accept it.. and again, i re- ask, when i signed my yearly contract i was offered, 30 day listings for a year..  so do i have any options..  tyler@ebay

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

I just went over to the discussion boards on Ebay.com to see what the comments are about the change to GTC. Most sellers are really upset & many of them will be closing stores & leaving eBay. I can see the same thing happening on eBay.ca.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Many may be saying that they are leaving but I always see those comments just before a major change and few seem to follow through.  I think that it will be toughest for those with tons of inventory that they normally switch each month.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

for one have a less than .005 percent of people search for my items on any search engine..

I think the idea is that with GTC, listings will be more likely to show up on those search engines *cough*google*cough*  in their second or third rotation as GTC.

With GTC I understand that we will lose the Newly Listed boost, but retain the About To Close boost.

And of course, while the default Best Match uses ATC as a criterion, many members use ATC as their Search, or Lowest Price First, or Highest Price +Shipping.

I would agree with you where the large commercial sellers are concerned, who are listing mass-manufactured items that must compete on Google, etc. with other big (or even giant) non-eBay retailers.   Yet I think you're giving eBay too much of the benefit of the doubt for being even-handed.  As a small seller my experience resonates completely with what 'cumos'  described -- using the 30-day listings (ending them in the a.m., then quickly relisting) as a means to draw attention within eBay itself.   

Before Omniture was removed, I could track that over 80% of my listing views and page visits regularly came from prospective buyers already logged onto eBay.com or eBay.ca.  Most of the rest came from my own  promotional links to eBay elsewhere (e.g. my own website), not from external search engines.  Frankly I think the excuse that "this will enhance visibility on Google" is a typical eBay cover story to mollify the rest of us who aren't major eBay retailers.   I think the real truth is that: 

(a)  This will be a major visibility boost for those bigger retailers whom eBay wants to satisfy and court for their bigger sales volumes and hence bigger fee potential to eBay; and   

(b)  Incidentally, but not coincidentally, this will -- as many have pointed out -- increase listing fees to eBay from millions of small to medium sellers who don't have the time or staff to be vigilant about their GTC listings.  In fact, as was discussed at length a few years ago on the issue of GTC vs. 30-day fees, no matter what you do, eventually the math will catch up to you and your listing fees will double at some point every now and then.  

Accordingly, I find this listing change upsetting not primarily because it's a unilateral decision on eBay's part that breaks contractual understandings with its sellers/subscribers, affecting millions of small sellers' business models (bad enough), but because eBay can never seem to come clean about both the justification and the real effect of their new policies. 

If they could only, for once, tell us the truth (we store owners are, after all, their paid subscribers, if not their shareholders), it might be somewhat easier to accept, even if under protest.  OK, fine, you need to support your big sellers with listing changes because they are producing the most in fees for you, OK fine, it's going to cost everybody more in listing fees, OK fine, we're going to have to give up getting a boost for short-duration listings, OK fine, we're going to have to carefully monitor our GTC timings as a result.  Fine, we're in business, we get it, then at least we can make an informed decision how or whether to continue, based on eBay's policy rationale.   

Simply throwing this kind of restriction at us on the basis of a deceitful explanation is an insult to those sellers of good reputation who were the cornerstone of eBay's business for many years.  I see this as yet another means by which eBay can rid itself, through attrition and incremental pressure, of the problematic small seller and move towards operating on a larger scale, with fewer, bigger sellers to deal with.   In other words, increase listing fees while benefiting from economies of scale.   You have to hand it to eBay for being clever and inventive, now if only they'd be honest with us. 

This is an aside, but I imagine the next step will be changing the payment system so that we no longer have direct access to our buyer's funds, meaning -- likely -- eBay will not only be able to extract its fees automatically (rather than billing us), but also make some money on funds held "in trust", even if only briefly.  On the kind of scale on which eBay operates, having many millions of dollars in final value fees held for just a few days, constantly turning over but still available, may generate a great deal of money in interest.  Instant debiting of fees means more money faster, and far less trouble with billing and/or collections.   No doubt eBay will also find a creative way to spin such a change as a benefit to sellers.  It's clearly not. 

I for one have pretty much decided I'll be closing my eBay store before my subscription comes due again in May.   EBay policies and changes have reduced my potential buyers to a minimum and my fees to a maximum that is no longer sustainable. 

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

If there is a promo for say 500 GTC listings and day 29 is April 30  I will put them with a custom label "end April 30"  and then just do a sort in active listings for that label and end them. eBay and I will both lose a few last day sales, I will like eBay less, and life will go on.

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

Anybody with any brains can see the real reason behind this decision. It is not about better search, its about sustained listings and recurring fees.  This strategy reminds me of the FREE marketing offers that give you some thing for free for month one.  Ask you for your credit card but don't bill you..........that is if.... after the first month that was free you do not cancel, they start charging you each month thereafter. That selling approach has worked for many products over the years.   Another thing to consider, if enough people start manually cancelling the 30 day listing only to relist, Ebay will remove that feature as it defeats their mission.

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

LOL! EBay doesn't care about the little guy seller anymore! It's all about the Benjamin's baby!

Message 18 of 18
latest reply