Selling in USD

When I first started out on eBay over 20 years ago it was on the eBay.com site.  At that time I listed and got paid in USD.  I live in BC Canada so over the past couple of years my listings are automatically directed to the eBay.ca site. All listings are done in Canadian funds.  I have contacted eBay several times but have gotten no where.  Why are there so many Canadian Sellers selling in USD when they reside in Canada.  Many live miles away from our International border which just re-opened Nov.8th.  Can anyone explain this or have a way I can sell in USD even though I reside in Canada. Thanks, Sue

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Selling in USD

marnotom!
Community Member

@burnaby_sue wrote:

I live in BC Canada so over the past couple of years my listings are automatically directed to the eBay.ca site. 

I'm not clear on what you mean by that.  Do you mean that when you try listing on .com--which is how Canadian sellers sell in USD--you get directed to the .ca site?  Are you using a special listing tool or program, or are you listing from the eBay site using the "simple" or "advanced" form? 

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Selling in USD

I started selling here when there was only the US site also. It was a lot was easier back then (and eBay and Paypal were still joint sister companies). I know when the change (to .ca) happened I debated still selling on the .com site but found it wouldn't let me use calculated shipping - most of my items are too big for a bubble mailer so I found that the cheapest way to make it fair to ship to Toronto or Burnaby at cost. As far as I know you can go to either site (.ca or .com) and do your listings there. Both recognize your user name but they do have several differences. I believe many here list on both. Myself I've only done Canada since the changeover. The tricky part may be the Managed Payments side since I've seen several people here asking questions about the banking aspect (sorry I have no experience there).

You certainly don't have to sell on the Canadian site, they just automatically swung us over here when the change came (4 - 5 years ago?). The US site has many advantages obviously but even selling on this site about 40% of my buyers are still US customers. The hardest adjustment (after the change) was the difference/loss of that extra exchange money...sigh, but I keep it in mind when chosing my listing amount.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Selling in USD

byto253
Community Member

You can choose to list on .com or .ca, or both at the same time.  It all depends on which site you choose to list from.   If listing on .com you will be selling in US$.  If listing on .ca you will be selling in CDN$.

However, with managed payments you can choose to be paid in EITHER US$ or CDN$, regardless of which site you list on.   

I choose to be paid in US$.  My listings are mainly on .com, but I do use .ca at times.  The .ca sales are in CDN$ but the funds are converted into US$ by Ebay so that I receive US$.  

The choice is yours.  I would recommend getting paid in the currency you mainly list in. i.e.  .ca in CDN$ if you want to get paid CDN$.  That will minimize the foreign currency conversion affects.  

As to why a lot of sellers choose to list in US$, there are many reasons.  It can be marketing, to match the currency with the market to  minimize the foreign feel of a listing.   Many people have use for US$, whether for buying items or travel and we can now get US$ deposited directly into a US$ bank account for easy access.

Also, even if converting US$ to CDN, by having US$ in you bank account you control when and where it gets converted.  There are better options for converting funds from US to CDN$ than the standard bank or Ebay rates.  

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Selling in USD

On the title bar at the top of this page, change the 'ca' to 'com'.

Go to your avatar and open the drop down menu

Hit My eBay

On the title bar at the top of this page, change the 'ca' to 'com'.

Go to Selling.

You are now listing on dotCOM in USD.

Note that you will be forced to use Flat Rate shipping because dotCOM does not support non-US shippers.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Selling in USD

Thank you for your message.  I can't list on eBay.com as when I want to fill in the shipping details it doesn't list Canada Post only has US shipping methods which I don't have access too residing in Canada.

Each eBay clerk has told me that I have to have a US address in order to list on eBay.com

Thanks, Sue

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Selling in USD

Hello

Thank you for your message.  I will try what you said the next time I do a listing.

- Regards, Sue

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Selling in USD

Hello

Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my inquiry about listing in USD on eBay.  I, like you automatically get swung over to the eBay.ca site as I reside in BC Canada. so all my listings currently are done on the eBay.ca site. I agree the difference in price now doesn't reflect the loss of the exchange money so when I list I have to ask for more to compensate.   I'm just curious how many people who live in BC are able to list in USD funds when I can't do that.  When asking an eBay clerk (mostly from Manila) they tell me since I live in Canada I have to list in Canadian. 

As for the banking aspect I opened up a completely separate (new) account with VanCity so as to not have eBay intefere with my personal account.  When eBay was using PayPal funds were deposited immediately now there is a delay of 4-6 days for the funds to be deposited to you banking account.

Anyway not much you can do about eBay dropping PayPal.  I wonder what other changes they will make in 2022?

Thanks, Sue

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Selling in USD

Hello

Whenever I want to do a listing on eBay I am automatically directed to the Canadian site where all listings are in Canadian dollars. I am not using any special listing tool or program.  When talking to an eBay clerk ( most of them located in Manila, Phillipines) I have been told since my home address is in Canada I have to list in Canadian dollars not like when I first started off on eBay when everything was done in USD.   My question is how does a seller living in Prince George, BC Interior, etc list in USD when they are miles away from the International Border between Canada and US?

I have had several replies to my posting and I appreciate everyone writing me a few lines.

Take care, Sue

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Selling in USD

@burnaby_sue   "Each eBay clerk has told me that I have to have a US address in order to list on eBay.com"   That very, very incorrect.  My default selling address is my Canadian address.   

What I am guessing is that they are thinking about using the Ebay shipping option from ebay.com.  And yes, you do need a US address to buy labels from Ebay.com.  I use Canada Post and Chitchats, not Ebay shipping. 

Listing on .com is a bit more challenging as you do not get calculated shipping, so you figure out a fixed rate.  If your items go as small packet (tracked or not) that is a flat rate of course, which makes it much easier. 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Selling in USD

The clerks were wrong.

You can list on dotCOM.

You do have to list in US dollars.

You MUST ship to the USA.

You ship via Canada Post - scroll down to Ship from an International Location.

The USA will be "domestic shipping".

You must use Flat Rate and fill in Canada Post pricing as Shipping from an International Location.

Canada will be "International Shipping"
Chose from the dropdown Custom Location.

The services listed are generic - but you use Canada Post pricing to fill in the Flat Rate.

Any country you specify shipping to, your listing will appear on that site, with your pricing in that currency and also in USD.  Everyone in the world understand USD. Americans understand nothing else.

Never talk to the phone clerks. They are poorly trained subcontractors.

The minimum wage minions in Utah are the worst, because they sound as if they know what they are doing. The Philippine subcontracters have good well-paid jobs and speak at least two languages.

They probably understand that there is more than one sovereign nation in the world because they have a cousin working as a nurse in Edmonton.

Use social media or the Chat line. These are written and communication is slow, but they are manned by eBay employees with some authority. Also you get a transcript so you can check to see if what you think you were told is what you actually were told.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Selling in USD

@burnaby_sue wrote:

Hello

Whenever I want to do a listing on eBay I am automatically directed to the Canadian site where all listings are in Canadian dollars. I am not using any special listing tool or program.  When talking to an eBay clerk ( most of them located in Manila, Phillipines) I have been told since my home address is in Canada I have to list in Canadian dollars not like when I first started off on eBay when everything was done in USD.   My question is how does a seller living in Prince George, BC Interior, etc list in USD when they are miles away from the International Border between Canada and US?

Take care, Sue

Here's how to list on ebay.com, do not use calculated shipping, instead select flat rate shipping. Don't panic, flat rate can work very well provided the seller does their rate homework ahead of time.

For Domestic shipping (U.S. addresses) choose from among the various generically named shipping services, for instance "Economy shipping from Canada" or "Standard shipping from Canada" or "Expedited shipping from Canada" knowing you will be using an appropriate Canada Post service for your U.S. customers. The customer does not necessarily need to know the exact name of the service that will be used. If you like, the shipping details can be disclosed in the listing description, or by email at the time of shipment.

First, be sure to sign out of ebay.ca, you may have to sign-out multiple times before it sticks. Sessions that were ended without  a sign-out haunt us, at least that's what I think may be happening at times.

Then click here to start an ebay.com listing https://bulksell.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SingleList&sellingMode=AddItem

If you are a Seller Hub user or would like to take SH for a test drive (strongly recommended) click here and add the page to your browser's favourites bar.  https://www.ebay.com/sh/ovw

The ebay.ca version of Seller Hub is here   https://www.ebay.ca/sh/ovw

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Selling in USD

marnotom!
Community Member

I think we're unintentionally infobombing the OP, who simply wants to know how to create listings in US dollars on the .com site when they're getting auto-directed from the .com site to the .ca site.

@burnaby_sue, I'm wondering if you may have something in your browser history that's triggering a redirect.  What happens when you go into "private" or "incognito" mode on your browser and try creating a listing on the .com site?

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Selling in USD

Hi there,

I am curious how did you choose to pay with USD$. Do you selling in business account or personal account? Cuz I don’t see the option to let me choose the currency

Thank u
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Selling in USD

ZOMBIE THREADFROM 2021.

The problem with zombie threads is that the information or advice may be out of date or otherwise inaccurate.

Sellers don't  have an option to change currencies.

But we can sell on any eBay site around the world using the currency of the site.

Listing on dot CA allows us to list in loonies*.

Listing on dotCOM allows us to list in US dollars.

Listing on dotDE (Germany) allows us to list in euros.

Listing on dotUK allows us to list in sterling.

When our  buyer in the US buys our listing on dotCOM, he pays in USD.

But the payment will be transferred to our checking account with a Canadian bank.

And if that account is in loonies, there will be a currency exchange fee.

We can set up our Managed Payments account, once, to pay into a US dollar chequing account  with our Canadian bank.

So.

We list on dotCOM in USD.

The American buyer pays in USD.

EBay exchanges the US payment into loonies and transfers it to our checking account held in loonies.

OR

EBay transfers to our checking account held in US dollars. (There may be a currency exchange fee from the bank- USD->loonies->USD.)

Wanna get complicated?
 A German buyer sees our dotCOM listing on dotDE (because we gave a shipping price for Germany).

He pays in euros.

The payment is changed to USD.

Then eBay transfers it to our checking account  which is held in loonies.

*And to use Calculated Shipping, but that's another story.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply