Shipping to Netherlands with small packet air

Has anyone tried entering the UR number for small packets to Europe  and if so, did any type of tracking show up on eBay?  I did ship using small packet air to the Netherlands earIier today and am undecided if I should enter the UR number. 

If I enter the UR number and there is no information showing on eBay, that will confuse the buyer.  Of course if I leave the 'transaction' number that ebay  puts  in the tracking field  that may also confuse the buyer.  I  found out recently that the ebay entered number can be replaced now but I'm not sure if I can delete it and then leave that field blank.  Has anyone tried leaving it blank?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Shipping to Netherlands with small packet air

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Has anyone tried entering the UR number for small packets to Europe  and if so, did any type of tracking show up on eBay?  I did ship using small packet air to the Netherlands earIier today and am undecided if I should enter the UR number. 

If I enter the UR number and there is no information showing on eBay, that will confuse the buyer.  Of course if I leave the 'transaction' number that ebay  puts  in the tracking field  that may also confuse the buyer.  I  found out recently that the ebay entered number can be replaced now but I'm not sure if I can delete it and then leave that field blank.  Has anyone tried leaving it blank?

@pjcdn2005 

After I create a small packet air shipment I update with the UR number and delete the one that eBay drops in. (It is only a receipt number.) I do this for both USA and anything going internationally. The UR numbers only work from my testing with USA shipments in eBay. For Scandanavia, Greece, Portugal, Cyprus, Italy and Spain they only work on the local postal services websites. They also worked on 1 E. European country ages ago but haven't had anything since so unable to confirm if that is still happening. I believe it was Slovakia. From my testing the UR numbers do not work for the UK, Germany, France, Netherland, Belgium, Austria or Australia. 

If the customer questions I explain that Small Packet Air is not supposed to be trackable but works in some situations. In one experience with a UR number where there was an issue in the USA for hold for pick up in speaking to the depot when I gave them the UR tracking number they were able to access and had the full history. Joe or Jane Q Public are unable to view in USPS. 

-Lotz

As a side before you print your label (eBay Labels), the VAT paid only shows on the packing slip. Not in the address field. If it is viewable(Vat paid details) it can only be read by postal staff. I just add to the notes section at the bottom that it was paid and the amount and include a copy of ps attached to label for back up. No issues to date following this procedure. When I used Shippo the VAT paid info showed up on the label and the packing slip plus you had access to the bonus form with room for more notes. Something eBay does not feel is important and or to prevent buyers paying taxes twice. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I haven't tried using UR number for small packets to Europe (haven't shipped to Europe for a while) but in response to "may confuse the buyer" in the past when I've had/seen the UR number listed with Small Packet International on my orders and had a buyer ask why number was not working I told them it was the waybill/label number and package still has a barcode which can be scanned for information on the package but is not tracked since tracking would have double shipping cost and this method has been very reliable for me in the past (not perfect but they don't need to know that!). This usually seemed to make them feel better and when the package comes in and they see the bar code I think often they think there was scanning that happened after all.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thanks for the responses! 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply