Should I drive to the U.S. to ship from Canada?

bytownjeff
Community Member

My first Expedited Parcel has arrived at it's destination in Vegas only 4 days after shipping.  As a new seller, I am subject to the 21 day holdback on my funds.

According to Ebay, I can speed up the process by meeting certain criteria. I have done so.

Shipped the item in less than 12 hours

Contacted the buyer in less than 8 hours

Printed the Expedited Shipping label from Paypal

Tracking number was automatically uploaded

I am assuming the buyer will be happy with the item as it was well described and photographed

There is one glaring exception however.  Every single page that discusses how to speed up the release of my funds says the waiting period can be reduced to3 days after we can confirm the order was delivered, if you list on eBay.com, ship from inside the United States using USPS or UPS, and print labels using eBay or PayPal. "

Bear in mind this quote is taken from Ebay.ca

Is this just a poor choice of wording on the part of Ebay?

cheers,

Jeff

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Should I drive to the U.S. to ship from Canada?

"Is this just a poor choice of wording on the part of Ebay?"

No.

Many Canadian sellers, living close to the border and with a substantial volume of mail going out regularly, do ship from the USA using USPS or UPS or whatever.  Their choice. Many see a saving in shipping costs.

For you, selling an item from time to time it obviously does not make sense.

Other Canadian sellers use forwarders - where the packages are delivered to a Canadian address and forwarded to the USA where they enter the postal system. Of course, there is a small fee for the reforwarders.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

bytownjeff
Community Member

Thanks, Pierre

Seems like Canadians are being penalized for no good reason then. 

Who physically places the parcel at the address of the buyer? Is it not the USPS? 

Why isn't the confirmation of delivery just as valid regardless?

These questions are not directed at you, Pierre.  Just wondering out loud

Jeff

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

"Seems like Canadians are being penalized for no good reason then. "

????

If you mean that shipping costs are generally higher in Canada than in the USA, that is correct.

It is not a question of "oenalize", just a fact of life.

Canadians selling by mail and competing with American sellers have been handicapped for hundreds of years as shipping costs in the USA - with ten times the population base in a smaller teeeritory - are generally lower than in Canada.

Successful sellers have adapted over the years.

If you mean that eBay Inc is a US based company with policies generally favouring American sellers, you are also correct. That's life.  If you want to use their services, you have to accept their rules and policies.  It is their playground, their rules. Most Canadian sellers have adapted.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

If you were to drive across the border on a regular basis from Ottawa to drop mail in the USA, you might have a better moneymaker than selling on eBay.

You would need at the very least a Nexus card and a very fuel efficient vehicle.

But you probably could find a lot of eBay and other vendors who would like to have their products shipped through the USPS, if your charges for your service did not put their cost over the Canada Post rate.

The special draw would be 25 cent Delivery Confirmation with online shipping labels.

ChitchatExpress does this from Toronto and from Montreal. Bookstotheborder has been doing this for several years from Vancouver.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

bytownjeff
Community Member

What I was actually getting at there was that Canadians are forced to wait much longer for access to the funds simply because we don't ship from the US.  Even  though tracking shows that we have delivered the goods.

The title of the post may have thrown you because I was being facetious. 🙂

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

"Canadians are forced to wait much longer for access to the funds"

The PayPal 21 day hold only applies to new sellers.  Once you are established, the funds are available immediately.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

When you sell an item and the buyer pays through PayPal, the funds may be pending in your PayPal account for 21 days or less before the funds become available. This is to help encourage fast shipping and ensure customer satisfaction.

There are several reasons you might not have immediate access to funds. Some of the most common reasons are:

You have a limited selling history.

You have a Below Standard rating in your Seller Dashboard.

Your account has been reinstated following an account restriction or suspension.  

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/pay/payment_hold.html 

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

bytownjeff
Community Member

Thanks, Pierre

I've read all of the policies about payments being held.  This is where I got the idea I could expedite matters in the first place.  What is the point of telling people they can achieve faster release of payments with good practices if it won't even apply for a minimum of 90 days, $250 in sales and 25 items sold? 

If I had already met the criteria as an established seller of good standing, I wouldn't be subject to holds in the first place. Then, the whole idea of a 21 day hold and how to avoid it would be moot

To quote:

What can I do to help get my funds more quickly?

Typically, you’ll get funds in 21 days – even sooner if you follow good shipping practices:

If you print shipping labels through eBay or PayPal, funds should be available 3 days after we can confirm that the order was delivered. Your tracking information uploads automatically, and you’ll get funds to help cover shipping, too.

*If you ship directly using USPS, UPS or FedEx and manually enter shipment tracking information on eBay or the PayPal Transaction Details page, funds should be available 3 days after we can confirm that the order was delivered.

If you mark the item as shipped in My eBay but don’t upload tracking information, funds should be available 7 days after your latest estimated delivery date OR

If you don’t provide tracking information, mark the item as shipped, or the estimated delivery date cannot be calculated, funds should be available in 21 days.

Please keep in mind that it may take longer to get funds if your buyer reports a problem.

I get the reasoning for the holds on new users. I'm fine with that.  But, I find these policy statements misleading and pointless

cheers,

Jeff

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Keep in mind that both eBay and PayPal are American based and service mostly American sellers.  Their rules and policies are based on what they know best.

Adjustments are made for Canadians sellers BUT that will not solve your problem or the problem of other Canadians in a similar situation.

Most of us have adopted over time.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Sorry to bring up an old post, but this ties in with regards to driving down to the states to ship.  What do you declare when your at the US Border? I have packages to ship? Whats the process here?  I assume they may collect taxes or duty, maybe no? 

thanks 

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

You would need at the very least a Nexus card and a very fuel efficient vehicle.

It's strictly forbidden by both, Canada and US law to use Nexus Card to cross the border with commercial parcels. Don't even suggest that to other people, because they will end up in jail. 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/term-eng.html

Improper Use of the Membership at Time of Passage

1. Member has the following at time of passage:

• Commercial goods* (including promotional samples)
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Re Chitchats express takes the parcels to the USPS

We also have  a new discount USPS postage program available to sellers. We offer discounts on first class  mail from 13 ounces to 16 ounces. and additional discounts on Priority mail.

one of the best new services we offer is dimensional postage. in some cases we can ship a 20 lb parcel from NY to CA for as little as $6.30.

It often makes us more competitive than our US counterparts.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

bossind
Community Member

anyone?

@bossind wrote:

Sorry to bring up an old post, but this ties in with regards to driving down to the states to ship.  What do you declare when your at the US Border? I have packages to ship? Whats the process here?  I assume they may collect taxes or duty, maybe no? 

thanks 

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

@bossind wrote:

anyone?

@bossind wrote:

thanks 

I too would be very interested in the answer to that question.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply