Sudden slow periods...then suddenly sales pick right up.

Good evening folks out there in the Universe! Do you folks notices as sellers that in eBay there is a sudden slowing of sales....and then almost a sudden pick up? This seems to be a consistent pattern I've noticed monthly.

Why is this? Is it the eBay system or just natural flow of sales? It seems like it might have to do with eBay system/algorithm...the way the switch just gets put back on after a sudden quiet day or two of sales.

What are your input regarding this? Have yall noticed this too?

Thanks in advance.

Jake LS@thego2corner 👍
Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Jake,

Yes I do notice this also. It is very rare I have one random lone sale. While I do think a lot of things could come into play (including how we tend to get discouraged during the slow times so are much more attentive and glad when things start picking up - the whole putting positive thoughts into the universe bit) but I do think there is something to the algorithm part.

As soon as I've had a sale or bid (I still do auctions) there is always a flurry of activity on my other stuff (even the older stuff). I know when I look for items I'm interested in I often see the flame icon with "hot item" or  "popular" and "3 new watchers in last 24 hours" so this tells me as soon as people are looking at stuff, you (seller) are put closer to the top. At least that's what I've found for myself and for sellers I follow.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Hi Jake,

Yes I do notice this also. It is very rare I have one random lone sale. While I do think a lot of things could come into play (including how we tend to get discouraged during the slow times so are much more attentive and glad when things start picking up - the whole putting positive thoughts into the universe bit) but I do think there is something to the algorithm part.

As soon as I've had a sale or bid (I still do auctions) there is always a flurry of activity on my other stuff (even the older stuff). I know when I look for items I'm interested in I often see the flame icon with "hot item" or  "popular" and "3 new watchers in last 24 hours" so this tells me as soon as people are looking at stuff, you (seller) are put closer to the top. At least that's what I've found for myself and for sellers I follow.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Very interesting 😄

It must have a little connection to algorithm etc. Just too much of a coincidence. I noticed that same situation too 😎👍

Thanks for input once more!

Jake
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

The algorithm definitely favours things that the bots think are "popular" in one's listings.

A recent example for me, (I'm a stamp seller).

Newly listed batch of packages from Norway (4 available) started in December 2022. All sold quickly.

From that point on, a similar (lesser attractive I would say) batch of 4 Norway packages sold in the last 4 weeks. They had been running since December 2021, with no sales at all, until starting when the others sold out, so something certainly sent eyes to them when the current (2022) batch sold out quickly.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

This right here ^^ I'm seeing a similar pattern for sure.

Thanks for input Hombre 👍

Jake
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

There's a LOT we don't know about the eBay algorithms, but it has been mentioned that activity makes your items more likely to be seen. Sales seem to matter most and apparently significantly boost the visibility of your other items for at least several hours. You'll probably notice that a sale to someone in one region increases the liklihood of another sale to the same region shortly after. It seems to be somewhat localized to the same province (in Canada) though, or at least it feels like it is. Activity such as listing also seems to boost sales for a short while afterwards, and while I don't have proof, it feels like processing/shipping items does too.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

"You'll probably notice that a sale to someone in one region increases the liklihood of another sale to the same region shortly after. It seems to be somewhat localized to the same province (in Canada) though, or at least it feels like it is. Activity such as listing also seems to boost sales for a short while afterwards, and while I don't have proof, it feels like processing/shipping items does too."

Flipistics makes a good point about selling in one region as another possible link. My last couple of trips to the post office were split up so that one day had all four going to the US only, then the next three sales were all within Canada. Coincidence maybe, but interesting anyways!

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Great call. Yeah, I have noticed that too. The algorithm seems to feed off location and sales etc. Once again, a noticeable pattern. Appreciate all your feedback.

Wishing you all more sales!

Jake
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

I've experienced the ebb and flow since I started my first retail business in the mid 1970's, there was no AI or algorithm at that time. My mentor at the time warned me this would be the case, he had been in retail for a few decades when I started.

FYI - I am currently in the third day of the "ebb" but I had an ok weekend which is kind of rare.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Yeah. The ebb and flow resonates with me too. It seems to be a combination of natural ebb and flow. Closing of the month and algorith working hand in hand. I went two days with no activity and then today....boom. several sales and watchers etc..

Thanks for the insight!

Jake
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

I've been selling retail (B&M) since the late 70s too.

Products tend to have cycles. For example, it's hard to sell BBQs before the Greek Orthodox Easter, but that's the start of the season which almost dies on Father's Day and is completely dead by Canada Day.

Or swimsuits in October.
Stamps tend to be very slow in November and December but very active starting on Boxing Day.

Add to that an algorithm that shows products that have sold higher in Search and which notice WHERE they sold and you get oddball sales like the time I sold two stamp lots to Liechtenstein in one week, to different cities. With a population of ~42,000, I am surprised they have two cities.  I've never had another sale there.

Sales lead to more sales. Reward the successful.

And destination of sale leads to more availability in that destination.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Definately see an uptick when I list a new batch of items.   Along with expected sales from new items there are always seems to be a few slow ones that go as well.  List regularly and feed the Algorithm.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Thanks for those 2 responses 👍 The feeding concept makes sense for sure 😄

Wish yall more and more sales 🙌

Jake
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

I think this also relates to fears of "throttling"  we see posted every now and again.

EBay certainly seems to circulate listings, perhaps on a circuit, perhaps more randomly, so that my listings may be seen on the East Coast for a month but on the Prairies less often (also less population, mind). Add to that the higher visibility when a sale is made to a particular destination, and a given item might be invisible in Red Deer for a month while it is seen daily in New York City.

So not "throttling" as a purposeful thing, but not every item is being seen everywhere. And of course, popular items could be low in Search because that seller has not sold as many as another over the past day? week? month? Throw in PL at different rates.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Very interesting 🤣

Thanks for input 🙏

Jake
Message 15 of 18
latest reply

I've noticed the cluster of sales from one location too, so I think your point is completely accurate. Interesting....

Thanks for input too 🙏

Jake
Message 16 of 18
latest reply

I only sell by using "sell similar" so my items are listed a couple minutes apart.

There is a very noticeable increase in sales WHILE I am listing. It is far more than mathematical/coincidental, it happens all the time.

If  only I could clone myself 2 or 3 times I could be listing all the time!!! 😉 

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

🤣🤣 Beautiful 😎👍
Message 18 of 18
latest reply