Tax Question

Could someone clarify what taxes I would collect if I live in BC and am collecting from another provinces?

Thanks All.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Tax Question

Are you registered with GST/HST?

If not, you CANNOT collect/remit GST or HST.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Tax Question

I am registered

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Tax Question

GST.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Tax Question

If you are registered with GST/HST, you will have received a guide from CRA giving details of what to charge and remit.

In general terms, if the item is taxable, you need to remit HST (rate varies by province) for HST provinces and 5% GST for non-HST provinces (QC, MB, SK, AB and the Territories). In BC you are now involved with both GST and PST.

Now, some items (books for example) do not attract the PST protion of HST in most provinces.  In such instances, only 5% GST is remitted.

GST or HST (whichever applies) must be remitted on the total amount of the invoice, including shipping and handling charge, at the same rate as the taxable item(s).

As always, I strongly recommed you consult a competent accountant experienced with mail order business.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Tax Question

Tax Question

I appreciate the response. 

If say I sold a shirt to a Albertan resident for $100.00 and I live in BC. Do I charge him with their 5% PST or do I charge the BC tax 6% GST / 7% PST? Hows that work.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Tax Question

I do not add on GST, I back it out of the selling price. Cdn sales are so small it is not worth charging extra.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Tax Question

"charge him with their 5% PST"

There is NO PST in Alberta.  It is irrelevant to you if there was.

"Hows that work."

Once again, read the information sent to you by the federal government at times of your GST/HST registration.

As stated earlier, for GST provinces (Alberta for example) you only remit 5% GST on taxable transactions. If the shirt was $100 with free shipping, GST would be $5.00; if the shirt sold for $100 and $10 shipping, GST would be $5.50 (5% of $110)

Once again, please consult a competent accountant experienced in mail order business.

GST/HST registration implies you sell $30,000+ a year. You can afford the professional advise needed.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Tax Question

By the way, let me stress that it does not matter if you collect the tax or not: your liability is to remit the tax, whether you charged it or not.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply