The Rah Rah posted on the US boards for what it is worth

http://community.ebay.com/t5/eBay-for-Business/Bob-s-Blog-Bringing-More-Buyers-and-Sales-to-You-in-2...

Absolutely nothing about getting rid of scam buyers or protecting sellers as usual

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

@snoopwiz wrote:

I'm paraphrasing here but  one of the blues on .com said that they are doing it  (mandatory IPR's) to give a better buying experience for buyers as buyers don't like getting paid unpaid items strikes.

One really can not make this stuff up, could they? Let's leave that as it is and call it the chuckle o' the day.

Was it Trinton by chance?

Message 21 of 34
latest reply

You don't actually believe those buyers do you?

Message 22 of 34
latest reply

Sometimes yes, sometimes no, dutchman.

Message 23 of 34
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

According to Ebay.com, it will over ride any combined shipping for BIN.

If they buy it and leave it without paying, it will be able to be purchased by someone else.

If a buyer wants to add to cart for a week, any of those items can be purchased by others until paid for.

It will be a real pain for sellers that have multiple purchases over 2 to 3 weeks and then invoice. 

I haven't had time to read through the link you posted, but hasn't this little trick been around for a long time?  I seem to recall this was introduced over 2 years ago (actually, I think maybe even more like 4 or 5 years ago), i.e. BIN items being available to other purchasers.  

I remember being aghast at the time that eBay would do this, since there are still many sellers (like me) whose buyers like to shop at their leisure, pick out items, then pay a few days later.  

Perhaps what you're saying is that this will now apply to the Cart as well?  I thought Cart contents were dumped by eBay after 24 hours anyway?  

The whole bot issue is just as concerning.  What all this says to me that what eBay ultimately wants is absolute conformity in automation across the site.  No more personalized customer accommodation, no more direct off-script seller/buyer communication.  

Message 24 of 34
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

hlmacdon wrote: 

I'm not sure what you mean by details about how it is being implemented....the commit to buy option when a buyer uses buy it now on ebay.com is no longer available for all sellers. It hasn't been available for Canadians on .com for a while but now it seems to include everyone.  But as you mentioned, a buyer can commit to buy by putting items in their cart and then requesting an invoice....when that function is available.  As far as I know that isn't changing.

I still have buyers, mostly European, who are able to place an order without paying. I assume this they are using the commit to buy feature as I will receive an unpaid order without the buyer having used request total. Do other ebay international sites still allow the feature perhaps?

Perhaps you are someone else can clarify the following. I haven't used IPR in the past so I'm not sure what effects it has at the cart level, specifically as it relates to cart activity with multiple items. From reading bits of previous threads, the request total feature should appear as long as the seller has offer combined payments and shipping enabled and there are multiple items added to the cart. However others have mentioned that if IPR is enabled on items, the request total feature at the cart level is disabled.

I use a combination of flat and promo shipping rules to automate discounts, but offer guidance to buyers in my listings to add items to cart and request total for a more precise shipping cost since it can be difficult to be precise where items range in size/weight. If the forced move to IPR effects how the request total feature works/disables it I would want to change that guidance since it could end up frustrating/confusing customers.

Message 25 of 34
latest reply

When a seller tries to give their phone number in a message, I believe that they get a warning about selling outside of eBay. 

Is it a problem if the phone number is part of a Message on the paid Paypal invoice?

And actually doesn't PP have a spot for the buyer/seller to include a phone number?

PP invoices do have the email addresses for both parties.

I don't expect a customer to be sophisticated enough to notice this. The seller would be responsible for reminding him it will be needed.

Message 26 of 34
latest reply

Alternatively, a seller can keep a listing live but save it for a buyer by altering the title and description to indicate it's being saved as a private item.
Message 27 of 34
latest reply

I haven't had time to read through the link you posted, but hasn't this little trick been around for a long time? I seem to recall this was introduced over 2 years ago (actually, I think maybe even more like 4 or 5 years ago), i.e. BIN items being available to other purchasers.

It was first introduced around the time the US cart was introduced but it didn't apply to everybody.  I remember asking about that on the weekly board here because it seemed to apply mostly to international sellers and buyers as US sellers I asked said they still had buyers committing to buy and then requesting an invoice.  The .ca rep(s) insisted that it applied to everyone but it obviously didn't at that time.  US sellers are quite worked up about it. 

It doesn't apply to the cart and no, cart items are not dumped after 24 hours.

Message 28 of 34
latest reply

I get ghost reminders about items in my cart that sat there three seconds. That it's been forgotten and I need to check-out. Even though it was removed weeks ago. Like if I was checking my own postage rules?
Message 29 of 34
latest reply

@hlmacdon wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

hlmacdon wrote: 

I'm not sure what you mean by details about how it is being implemented....the commit to buy option when a buyer uses buy it now on ebay.com is no longer available for all sellers. It hasn't been available for Canadians on .com for a while but now it seems to include everyone.  But as you mentioned, a buyer can commit to buy by putting items in their cart and then requesting an invoice....when that function is available.  As far as I know that isn't changing.

I still have buyers, mostly European, who are able to place an order without paying. I assume this they are using the commit to buy feature as I will receive an unpaid order without the buyer having used request total. Do other ebay international sites still allow the feature perhaps?

Perhaps you are someone else can clarify the following. I haven't used IPR in the past so I'm not sure what effects it has at the cart level, specifically as it relates to cart activity with multiple items. From reading bits of previous threads, the request total feature should appear as long as the seller has offer combined payments and shipping enabled and there are multiple items added to the cart. However others have mentioned that if IPR is enabled on items, the request total feature at the cart level is disabled.

I use a combination of flat and promo shipping rules to automate discounts, but offer guidance to buyers in my listings to add items to cart and request total for a more precise shipping cost since it can be difficult to be precise where items range in size/weight. If the forced move to IPR effects how the request total feature works/disables it I would want to change that guidance since it could end up frustrating/confusing customers.

It's my understanding that if a seller adds ipr to their listings then the 'ask seller for total' feature is not available.  When eBay has set up the mandatory ipr function, that feature is still available. Some sellers have said that the ask for total button doesn't always work but that has been going on a long time and I don't think that it is related to the mandatory ipr.

I don't recall eBay ever announcing that it would be mandatory on .ca so I don't know if that is planned for the future or not.  I suspect that the uk may have or be getting it as eBay seems to keep that site set up similar to .com.  The Australian site does not  have it at this time.  In other words, it's difficult to tell buyers how to handle multiple items because their site may not be set up the same. 

Message 30 of 34
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I don't recall eBay ever announcing that it would be mandatory on .ca so I don't know if that is planned for the future or not.  I suspect that the uk may have or be getting it as eBay seems to keep that site set up similar to .com.  The Australian site does not  have it at this time.  In other words, it's difficult to tell buyers how to handle multiple items because their site may not be set up the same. 

And adding to that you don't know whether the buyer is accessing from .com or their own country site, both of which may behave differently. It would be nice if there was some sort of uniform consistency across the various sites as this is the biggest pain point for me with international sales, ensuring that customers get the correct checkout guidance that is.

Message 31 of 34
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

When a seller tries to give their phone number in a message, I believe that they get a warning about selling outside of eBay. 

Is it a problem if the phone number is part of a Message on the paid Paypal invoice?

And actually doesn't PP have a spot for the buyer/seller to include a phone number?

PP invoices do have the email addresses for both parties.

I don't expect a customer to be sophisticated enough to notice this. The seller would be responsible for reminding him it will be needed.

If the buyer has already paid for the item, and sends a message saying they wanted to meet for local pick up, I didn't think ebay would consider it a problem, when I sent them my phone number. We met, I gave them the item, took a photo, came home, left feedback. Next day they left feedback for me, transaction done.

Why would ebay give a warning, when it was paid for on their site? When we offer local pickup, and the buyer chooses that box so they don't pay for shipping, ebay knows we have to arrange the when and where.

Message 32 of 34
latest reply

If a buyer wants to use Local Pickup with Cash Payment, I send the buyer the contact details (phone numbers, location) on their eBay-generated invoice.
Message 33 of 34
latest reply