Toys Stamps Comics Coins Option to Survive losing [61% on Canada Post Tracked Packet™– USA Dec 31] ?

DSCN3884sm.JPG

Hi I'm looking for options to turn to on January 1 when  the Tracked Packet USA promo ends. Preferably Canadian customer options that are under 200 grams. I have Japanese model kits that would involve Expedited shipping and a ton of coin/comic/stamp resources. If anyone has experience in the model/toy category can you please help me if they could be viable sales in Canada?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Toys Stamps Comics Coins Option to Survive losing [61% on Canada Post Tracked Packet™– USA Dec 31] ?

For USA customers, Tracked Packet will still be a good option.

For customers within Canada, Canada Post flat rate boxes are an option to the Canada Post Expedited Parcel rate. Have used all 4 sizes of the Canada Post flat rate boxes, but use the 2 smallest sizes the most. (Hubby sells in the model train category & frequently uses the Canada Post flat rate boxes for customers within Canada and always, always uses Tracked Packet for USA customers.)

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Thank you.  I did get a couple of the flat rates. The smallest they had is 24 x 16 x 9 at $17 that might help. The next up is pretty much an oversized shoe box that has no relevance for me. Staples has a 25 pack sale on 14.3 x 12.5 x 3" for $39.41 that I just got today. 

We're  pulling coins/stamps for listing to my glass photo table tonight. 

Listings will be tracked and Customs legitimate domestic or US. No lettermail. 

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Some of the new UPS rates that they're rolling out seem to be really good for locations within the same province or region. I haven't tried it yet, so I can't talk about whether there's any upcharging issues like people seem to have with Fedex or not (unfortunately the nearest drop location is about an hour away from me).

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

Some of the new UPS rates that they're rolling out seem to be really good for locations within the same province or region. I haven't tried it yet, so I can't talk about whether there's any upcharging issues like people seem to have with Fedex or not (unfortunately the nearest drop location is about an hour away from me).

@flipistics 

@mrdutch1001 

@intimewithmusic 

Looks like it's still in partial rollout stage for Canucks. There is the following disclaimer that "seems" to answer that, if my interpretation is correct.

Discounts off UPS daily rates. Rates are limited to shipping from Canada only. Rates and any applicable discounts are subject to change at anytime without notice. Inclusive of applicable fuel and residential surcharge. Not including other additional applicable charges and taxes.

When UPS was rolled out in the US originally there was a disclaimer about shipments would not be charged for residential pick ups and deliveries. That was followed by random sellers being charged. I've tried to locate the what I saw originally but it's disappeared off the grid. Might be best if anyone is to test for Canadian shipments to tread slowly.

In testing just now I still do not have access to the UPS discounted rates in both settings/calculator. On dot com you have the option to choose USPS/UPS/Fedex. On ca it just states discounted rates on or off. You would think consistancy would be in order. US can ship to Canada with UPS but it's not discounted.  (UPS Standard 51.00 from LA to Wpg in 0 business days) 🤣 Testing, anyone?? Fedex states 0 business days for all 3 options. Does that mean if you don't receive before you order your order is free?

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1701241982245.png

-Lotz

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Slight off topic but are other people seeing Small Packet as an option on ebay ? I only see Tracked package (which right now is best option) and then two like 20$ + options. Small packet isnt even an option on my list of 5 services (2 are Fedex)

I don't use calculated shipping just flat rate. Thought that was curious recently

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@regs43 wrote:

Slight off topic but are other people seeing Small Packet as an option on ebay ? I only see Tracked package (which right now is best option) and then two like 20$ + options. Small packet isnt even an option on my list of 5 services (2 are Fedex)

I don't use calculated shipping just flat rate. Thought that was curious recently

@regs43 

If you offer Small Packet Air and Tracked to the USA buyers will see the 2 options when they check your listing. When you go to ship using eBay Labels Small Packet Air will be deleted. Unsure how it shows(displays) when buyer receives original invoice. I believe it shows as an option when you resend a revised invoice. I like to show the 2 to my buyers as a comparison.

As a side to that, because as a matter of habit I always list options by desending price, unsure how it plays with search because now SPA is now more expensive than tracked in the scheme of things. As far as I know search works off the first option offered. Being the optimist I am hoping buyers open a listing to confirm shipping options.  I know. Being wayyy too optimistic.

-Lotz

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

As a side to that, because as a matter of habit I always list options by desending price, unsure how it plays with search because now SPA is now more expensive than tracked in the scheme of things. As far as I know search works off the first option offered. Being the optimist I am hoping buyers open a listing to confirm shipping options.  I know. Being wayyy too optimistic.

-Lotz

Yeah I just use flat rate for shipping with econoomy selected, but when going to ship the sale no SPA even shows (it used to), just thought it was odd, what happens when the promo ends Dec 31?? does SPA show back up when you go to ship a package as it would be cheapest then and ebay is trying to push tracked packet (which makes sense at the moment)

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@regs43 wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

-Lotz

Yeah I just use flat rate for shipping with econoomy selected, but when going to ship the sale no SPA even shows (it used to), just thought it was odd, what happens when the promo ends Dec 31?? does SPA show back up when you go to ship a package as it would be cheapest then and ebay is trying to push tracked packet (which makes sense at the moment)

@regs43 

If the discount on tracked goes away after Dec 31, 2023 sellers will just go back to using the cheapest method they were using previously. I prefer to use calculated because of the types of items I sell. Takes ANY guesswork out of the equation. I have maybe 1 in 10 that will choose tracked.

-Lotz

PS. From the recent batch for comparison I am finding there is not a large amount of difference in delivery time but tracked does seem to get processed(charged) faster than SPA.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Hello

I do not know where you are located, I am in southern Ontario and I use Chit Chats for all my small packages to the USA.  They usually offer two discount USPS rates, one slightly being cheaper but faster.  All items are tracked, insurance is optional at .49 cents per $100 up to $300.  Also removes any chances aof additional customs charges to your customers.  Typically can ship small under 400g 6 x 4.5 x 4.5 in packages for less than $15 as far as California or Florida.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Hi. Thank you!

I should have mentioned I'm in Kelowna BC. I'm about 2 hours from the border not including customs entry. We have no chit chats here. There may be a courier that does this but I would be worried about my handling time being compromised.

Thank you for your input.

IT

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

I've had an account with UPS for years. It was specifically for shipping large instruments. The good thing about a direct account is you can negotiate a much better price with a UPS account manager.

The problem I had was if your account is inactive (no large instrument sales) after about 12 months they return your discount to retail without telling you. You sell and item and find out the shipping is going to be much higher than your listing flat rate.

If eBay has a good UPS price it's probably a better idea to go with them.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Thanks to a few websites I'm getting the hang of the Japanese items. There is no English whatsoever but fortunately there is a barcode!

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

similar situation here> no Chitchats and nearly 2 hrs from USA border...

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@intimewithmusic wrote:

Thanks to a few websites I'm getting the hang of the Japanese items. There is no English whatsoever but fortunately there is a barcode!

@intimewithmusic 

Have you tried Google Lens app for your Japanese items? I know of a few sellers that live by it. Works awesome for them.

-Lotz

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

Not yet but I will now! Thanks!

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

Despite doing this for 45 years now, I use Lens for stamps as well, still haven't seen them all and it often helps send me in the right direction if it doesn't actually provide the actual description off the hop!

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

Look into Chit Chats or Stallion. Chit Chats should cost about $8-$10 for a 200 gram package. 

I haven't used Chit Chats since the Tracked Packet promotion started so I might not be correct about current rates. 

You can send batches of packages into Chit Chats if you do not have a drop spot. Meaning, if you have 20 orders, you throw them all in one box, and ship them to Chit Chats. You need enough volume to offset the $20 or so it will cost to send a box via Canpar, Canada Post, UPS, etc into Chit Chats. There is also additional liability because if that one package is lost, then multiple orders are affected.

I used to do that with Canpar to Chit Chats. It worked out to being 25-50 cents an item. 

Message 18 of 18
latest reply