U.S. to Canada shipping cost of item is 4.6 TIMES the price of Canada to U.S.

I sent a tripod head to a customer in the U.S.  There was some kind of issue so I agreed to take it back, but the $18 shipping (Can) I paid to send it was met by an $84 shipping charge to return it, in the same box.  Nothing had changed.  In-fact, the shipping TO the customer was 3 days Fedex while the shipping back to me was 5-10 day USPS.  This shipping is reflected in other deals to.  My solution was to look off Ebay at other sources that had DECENT shipping deals set-up so at least the shipping cost was "only" double the Can-U.S. cost.

Time for Ebay to play some negotiation HARD BALL with USPS.  The irony of this? Fedex and Canada Post MAKE money while USPS LOSES money!!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

marnotom!
Community Member
What service or site did you use to generate the return shipping label, and was it a return shipping label you generated or just a regular USPS Priority International label?
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

What was the weight and how big was the box?  That price does seem high.  
I 'think'  that you can buy a US to Canada label for FedEx or ups through Pirateship.com.  That may be less expensive for larger packages.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Not sure if you checked out rates with Shippo but they do have some kind of deal with the US because I find them to have good rates going to the US and always see them bragging about discounts with USPS.

While I haven't had to generate a return label I understand they do have that option.

Here's just one example of their claims with regard to USPS - this is advertising to people in the US but still shows they have volume discounts in place.

"Shippo saves you up to 90% off retail USPS rates through our master USPS account. Check out our USPS Shipping Calculator to get an idea of the savings you'll see. These rates are available automatically to all Shippo users immediately upon sign-up."

(This is not a paid endorsement lol! Shipping to the US I've been using Shippo for a few years now and happy with it.)

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Always good to remember that Shippo can print USPS labels for return shipments to the USA.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@shallow_karl wrote:

I sent a tripod head to a customer in the U.S.  There was some kind of issue so I agreed to take it back, but the $18 shipping (Can) I paid to send it was met by an $84 shipping charge to return it, in the same box.  Nothing had changed.  In-fact, the shipping TO the customer was 3 days Fedex while the shipping back to me was 5-10 day USPS.  This shipping is reflected in other deals to.  My solution was to look off Ebay at other sources that had DECENT shipping deals set-up so at least the shipping cost was "only" double the Can-U.S. cost.

Time for Ebay to play some negotiation HARD BALL with USPS.  The irony of this? Fedex and Canada Post MAKE money while USPS LOSES money!!

eBay has played "hardball", the new eBay International Shipping program that replaces GSP and eBay's International Standard does not use USPS for International shipping, it is currently priced 5 - 10% below USPS rates.

You may not be aware but USPS International Rates are high and have been high for about 15 years, it's a profit centre for USPS and they can get approval for just about any amount they want on International unlike for Domestic.

From the early 1990's up until The Postal Accountablility Act was passed in 2006 USPS international rates were VERY cheap, after 2006 it's been nothing but up, up, up!

In the pre-2006 period it was cheaper for me in Toronto to send my packages destined for western Canada to Buffalo NY and mail from there via USPS First Class International than to send them direct via Canada Post. By about 2007/8 that method was no longer viable.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Forgot to add....

Where did the $84 cost come from?  Did the buyer tell you that is what it would cost? Perhaps they were quoting the cost for Priority Express International which is the most expensive service USPS offers, Regular Priority or better yet First Class International Package (up to 4lbs) would be considerably less.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I'd really like to know how you can ship a tripod to the USA via FedEx for a mere $18!  I have an account with Canada Post AND FedEx, and I would never be able to ship something similar for that price either way...
The return price you quote is a lot more understandable for a regular shipment at an USPS desk.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@fh991586 wrote:

I'd really like to know how you can ship a tripod to the USA via FedEx for a mere $18! 

It was a tripod head, for what it's worth.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Oh!  I missed that word.  My bad.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply