User Harassing Me for a Refund on package sent to the wrong address

Long story short back in January someone messaged me about a pair of boots that I had listed and wanted a cheaper price on them. I had them up for a while so I was happy to come down on the price. Buyer purchases the item and immediately msgs to say they checked out with the wrong address - not even the correct country! Gives me an updated address and I agreed to send it there. Few weeks go by and this person has decided they are done waiting for the shipping and opens a case a for a Refund. I had tracking so PayPal put the case on hold. The tracking during that time updates to package denied by recipient. I msg the customer to ask what the problem was and she says she never got anything. Over the next few days La Poste made numerous failed redelivery attempts. Customer hasn't offered any insight into this except to say that LA Poste often rejects pkgs but that doesn't explain what happened here. I suspect another wrong address and so I wait for PayPal to decide. They ask for a copy of the label I sent it to them and they closed the case in my favor. Fast forward to today I have been asked for several refunds post case closing and even though I have on numerous occasions reprovided the tracking number that she can just look up on the case she continues to ask for it again and again and will never check the tracking herself. Today she msgs me and threatens me and accused me of having the item back and just not wanting to refund which isnt true. The package hasn't been scanned in a month since it was in Sweden last and I seriously doubt its coming back at this point. I have reported the user to ebay but is there anything else I need to do? I'm really over this person! Check your address when you buy things its not hard! 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: User Harassing Me for a Refund on package sent to the wrong address

You listed an item.

A buyer negotiated a lower price.

The buyer paid through Paypal.

The buyer told you to change the shipping address to a different country.

Did he change the address on Paypal?

You shipped to the new address.

The buyer claimed the boots had not been received and opened a Paypal Dispute.

Not eBay but PP?

Tracking shows the package was refused by the recipient.

PP closes the case in your favour.

The buyer continues to demand a refund.

The shipment was last reported in Sweden (?).

This indicates that it has begun to return to you. Hub and spoke delivery is weird and wonderful.

At this point, no you don't have to do anything.

If the buyer backs her PP account with a credit card, she may try to get a chargeback, but she doesn't seem to have considered that as a possibility.

Block her account if you have not already.

Cease communication.

When you see a message or email from her, delete it.

I suspect she was trying the scam where, while the shipment is held at French customs, a Not Received Dispute is filed and won. 

Then the scammer goes to Customs/ Post Office , pays duty and VAT, and walks away with goods at a tiny percentage of their value.

She lost on that.

. The package hasn't been scanned in a month since it was in Sweden last and I seriously doubt its coming back at this point.

Since the shipment seems to be returning to you, which is at best a slow process, just wait. You don't have the goods but you have the payment.

Ethically, you can't have both.

When the shipment does return, reduce the amount she paid you by your costs for shipping and for fees. 

Refunding that reduced amount  would be good for your karma.

Relist the boots and resell.

Note that you can refuse a transaction for Problem with Address without penalty. Asking for a different address is not necessarily a bad sign, but the changed address MUST be added to the Paypal account to win a Dispute about Delivery.  These changed addresses are often called "gift addresses" and we see them a lot in December.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

OK I've done all this so I guess I just continue waiting. I doubt after return fees there will be much of a refund left but that's not my problem. I have no issues refunding if I get then back but not before. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Also I sent it though FedEx international mail service they sent it to Sweden post or what ever and they forwarded it to LA post. It's all very confusing but it usually works fine. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Yeah.

Funny how those private for -profit companies sub-contract much of their business to publicly owned postal systems which have well paid, unionized workers with good benefits and pensions, and deliver everywhere,  when they can't make a profit on it .

Makes you wonder where the extra customers pay to FedEx goes when FedEx is actually using the postal system.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I'm surprised you didn't get burned on this one because of the post-sale address change.

My procedure is if someone contacts me after the sale looking to change the address I cancel the sale using "problem with address" option and let them repurchase the item with correct address.

I've never had a chargeback because of an address issue. Even when the item was returned to me, eBay found in my favour (to be clear, I refused the return at the Post Office because it had postage due for the return that exceeded the value of the item).

Ian
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

It was in the messaging system so PayPal was able to see the customer requested the change. I've never had a problem in that regard. 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply