Using eBay shipping labels is signature confirmation included?

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

...I don't see an option to add it manually on the page.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

...item sold for over $750.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

You probably can carry the parcel to the PO, with the label in place and buy the upgrade to the service there.

I'm basing this on my practice of using postage stamps to pay postage and having the Expedited labels added at the PO.

Note that while Canada Post (and possibly USPS) are no longer actually collecting Signatures, tyler@ebay  has confirmed that buying the Signature Confirmed service will be considered by eBay as having obtained the signature.

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

Thank you for the reply, yes, going to PO would have the option available, as well as printing the label via PayPal for example. I just was wondering if this is another "imperfection" or inconvenience in eBay's "dealing end to end" mandatory approach? 

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

@artmarketspot wrote:

Thank you for the reply, yes, going to PO would have the option available, as well as printing the label via PayPal for example. I just was wondering if this is another "imperfection" or inconvenience in eBay's "dealing end to end" mandatory approach? 

According to the Canadapost website signature option is included n/c with all parcels in Canada (at no additional charge). For the USA it is only available with Xpresspost n/c and above. YouCanada options.jpgUS options.jpg.

There appears to be still no mention of additional add on services with eBay Labels. You are able to add accordingly with Shippo.

-Lotz

PS. Not sure if the add signature option magically suddenly appears when the order is valued at 750.00 using ebay labels.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Although the Canada Post calculator is showing that signature confirmation with Canada is included at no charge that isn't normally the case as they do usually charge for it.  I don't know if that indicates that they aren't charging for it or that they are not offering it right now or that it is available but they aren't promoting it.It is possible that it is available on other sites but I really don't know. Sorry, that isn't much help.

If your parcel is going to the US, the only service that does have a signature option is expresspost USA and in that case, the cost is always included.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

The parcel is going to US. I just saw the rather unusually significan difference between Expedited and Expresspost, so I thought automatically included signatury could partially responsible for such.
I shipped thousands of parcels over the years printing lables from PayPal and there you were selecting the amount insured for and chek-boxing signature on delivery. However I noticed whenever you've paind at least extra hundred in insurance the total didn't change after cheking the signature box as well, so it looked like it was actually automaticly included.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

The thing is with eBay labels I'm not even sure how much the parcel is insured for, but since there is no option to enter an amount I would asume it's aumatically insured for the full price an item sold for. In this case the signature could be automatically included as well. Yet, there could be difference between shipping within Canada and to the States... It would be nice if eBay at least had some clear instructions on this, never mind options.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

@artmarketspot wrote:

The parcel is going to US. I just saw the rather unusually significan difference between Expedited and Expresspost, so I thought automatically included signatury could partially responsible for such.
I shipped thousands of parcels over the years printing lables from PayPal and there you were selecting the amount insured for and chek-boxing signature on delivery. However I noticed whenever you've paind at least extra hundred in insurance the total didn't change after cheking the signature box as well, so it looked like it was actually automaticly included.

@artmarketspot wrote:

With eBay Labels the insurance is based on the specific order value.  (Order value 150.00. Insured value 150.oo = Free 100 plus applicable charge per hundred for balance.) There are occasions where something sells for less than it's actual(original) value. Unsure how those situations would be handled with eBay Labels/CP. In past days with claims it was hit or miss if you required proving the contents value...original receipt etc. It should be clearly shown when processing your order the declared value and optional insurance purchased.

According to another recent discussion post a seller could prove that extra insurance was purchased but was having little luck processing a claim for a lost shipment. Why I always recommend keeping a copy of your label with any charges for your records. Just in case!!

-Lotz

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

The included insurance for any CP service that includes insurance is never more than $100.   You would have to purchase any extra insurance.  I recently read a post about someone having a problem collecting the insurance that they purchased through ebay labels so it might be a good thing that you weren't able to purchase more.  You should be able to go to a third party insurance to upgrade the insurance as long as it has only been a couple of days since the package was mailed.  I haven't bought any for a while but you might want to try u-pic insurance.

You did use xpresspost USA? 

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

eBay labels doesn't give you an option to add extra insurance, so it would be logical to assume that it equals the purchase price automatically, but I'm not sure about that.
Xpresspost USA says the signature is included.
https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpo/mc/business/productsservices/xpresspostusa.jsf

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Sorry but it is rarely a good idea to assume. If there is no option to add any insurance I think that it is more logical to think that it is a glitch as there are a number of them with ebay labels right now.   

As I mentioned in my first post xpresspost USA does include a signature at no extra fee.  If you look at that link that you posted it also mentions that there is coverage up to $100 and that there is an extra fee for any extra insurance.  Since they do charge extra,  I have never seen Canada Post assume that you want the item insured for the full amount and automatically add on that extra fee.   I'm certain that is true on ebay and on any label site.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

I didn't "assume", otherwise I wouldn't come here to ask, but if had to I would rather lean towards the insurance is equal to the declared value, neither are optional to input in eBay's service unlike all other shipping tools out there.
Also as I've mentionned above the difference in rates Expedited vs Xpresspost is unusually big so it an extra point to have explanation. 
Then again, I'm selling on eBay for over 20 years, 5K+ transactions and of course I've seen many "glitches", but for a solid business to have such a primitive one for so long... would be something to get outraged with.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

eBay labels haven't been around that long but I agree that there should not be a glitch like that or any of the glitches that are currently on there.

Message 15 of 27
latest reply

Nowadays high-tech companies are held up to standards of a two hours glitch - is too long, never mind two month. 🙂  I'm saying it as a robinhood-investor as well, who follows the daily news in the field and stocks fluctuations in realtion. eBay takes a lot for granted. 

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

eBay labels should be working with the same rules as a label purchased on any other CPC-integrated platform.

XpressPost USA includes a signature at no charge (it is the equivalent of "Registered Mail" since CPC doesn't offer an actual Registered Mail option to the States). $100 CAD insurance coverage is included, and additional insurance can be purchased at a rate of $2.25 CAD per additional $100. I haven't shipped anything >$100 to the States using eBay Labels yet, but I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't let you select the amount of insurance coverage you want. If it's not letting you select that I would chalk it up to a glitch and consider purchasing your postage through CPC SnapShip, Shippo, or PayPal.

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

I constantly sell things over a $100, and eBay labels hasn't had an option of adding any extra insurance since it statrted offering such, so if it's a "glitch" it's a permanent one, there is simply no tab for such a thing there, just like there in no box or anything to check-in for the sugnature.
The only reason I started acquiring about it now, because I have a buyer registered just a month ago with no transactions of a value on the record and a sale over $1K, so signature on delivery is a more of a concern for me than insurance amount... in a sense I'm more concerned about a posible fraud than parcel lost. I mean I understand that sellers ultimatelly unprotected against fraud on eBay, but no signature makes it so much easier for professional fraudsters and perhaps more tempting for some occasional ones.

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

@artmarketspot wrote:

I constantly sell things over a $100, and eBay labels hasn't had an option of adding any extra insurance since it statrted offering such, so if it's a "glitch" it's a permanent one, there is simply no tab for such a thing there, just like there in no box or anything to check-in for the sugnature.
The only reason I started acquiring about it now, because I have a buyer registered just a month ago with no transactions of a value on the record and a sale over $1K, so signature on delivery is a more of a concern for me than insurance amount... in a sense I'm more concerned about a posible fraud than parcel lost. I mean I understand that sellers ultimatelly unprotected against fraud on eBay, but no signature makes it so much easier for professional fraudsters and perhaps more tempting for some occasional ones.

I can still purchase additional insurance coverage for anything going domestic, so it seems to just be an issue with international parcels; but again, I'll have to take your word for it because I don't currently have any pending shipments outside the country valued at >$100 CAD.

Having an option for a signature is service-dependent at the moment; it would make sense that none of the domestic shipping services on eBay Labels are offering it because Canada Post isn't currently offering signatures on those services. However, if your parcel is insured for $200+ you should still see "Signature Required" on the shipping label because it's automatically added (despite having a zero dollar charge at the momnet). For the U.S. a signature is included in XpressPost by default so there's no real reason for eBay Labels to integrate a "check box" for a signature on that service.

Honestly, at this point, I would recommend everyone not use the Canada Post integrated eBay Labels. With all the problems I've been seeing here in the forums it's just not worth it, even with the discounts they're currently offering. Buy your postage via one of the other services, or look into NetParcel via PayPal - they've been able to beat the CPC rates on everything I've sent to the U.S. with tracking.

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

As I've said before, for years I"ve purchased thousands of shipping labels via PayPal, all of the options were there and I never had an issue of this sort. Now, after eBay implemented their "end to end sevice" one would want to use thier labels page as it suppose to be the most convenient way, with a minimal number of clicks, autofilled fields so no room for typo error etc. With PayPal I'm also not sure now since no payments going there, there are no funds there, so I guess you need to be either making transfers there or the card on file to be automatically charged and I'm not sure if there are extra transaction fees associated with such.

Message 20 of 27
latest reply