What do i have to do from a legal/tax standpoint as a new BC seller?

Hi. I'm a 20 something college student who has decided to make a few bucks selling off my personal video game collection, as well as flipping the titles i've found at garage sales and the like.  All used personal property. So far it's been a fun way to make a few bucks and i've been treating it like a hobby. I'm approaching nearly 2k in REVENUE after a few months, but after all expenses, shipping, packaging, and the costs i paid to acquire things initially it's currently around 500$ in profit and growing. I am located in BC. I've been keeping a spreadsheet that records all my costs, but i don't have much in terms of receipts because garage sales and cash.

From a tax and legal stand point, what do i have to do? I was assuming i merely had to put 500 or whatever it ends up being under my personal income on my taxes.  Do i need to collect / pay provincial/federal sales tax? Am i required to register for a business license here in british columbia?

I'm sure these questions can be answered by digging into the wall of text that is gov.bc.ca but i figured i could pose this question to the canada ebay community as well because im sure there are many of you that started in a similar situation, and may have advice for me. Thank you. 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Buy a notebook and when you shop garage sales, note date, purchase, and cost.  It's informal, but even if the taxman doesn't use it, it will be useful to you in understanding your own business.

In addition to the procurement costs, you can record your postal and packaging costs, your selling prices, etc in the same book,  and of course for those you will have receipts.

I suppose you could do all of this on your phone, but I am old and don't trust this new-fangled electricity.  (Seriously at my first job as a bank teller, we used hand cranked adding machines.)

A 25% profit margin is excellent. Congratulations!

The stuff you bought for resale is NOT personal property. So make a difference about that on your spreadsheet/record.

Yes your profit goes on your income tax.  (I'm not sure about the games you bought for yourself and later sold on, though).

You don't need to do anything about sales tax until you reach $30K a year in sales.

Nor have I ever been clear about what a 'business license' is supposed to be. A permit to collect and REMIT sales taxes? A city* issued license for a store? Incorporation?

That's all I got.

*Which means you are paying business taxes to the city, have different insurance policies than your homeowner's or tenant's insurance, and pay for garbage collection which is not covered by your business tax unlike your property taxes.  Unless you have a lot of people coming and going and the zoning for your home specifically prohibits running a business from there, I wouldn't worry about it. Live dangerously!

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

So far my spreadsheet includes the cost to purchase each item, the price i sold it for, each ebay fee, and the cost of stamps, shipping, and supplies. I suppose i should also note the origin of any item sold so i know where i came from in terms of it being my own or a purchase for resale.

Thank you for your advice and knowledge!
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I have different columns for Shipping and Handling (charge to the customer) and Postage (what I actually pay).

For most sellers this covers the differences from Solutions for Small Business discounts although I actually use discount postage stamps.

And I have a column for the "Internet Sales Tax" charged on my PP invoice, which never passes through my hands, but which PP does charge me a 3.9% (?) fee on.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

just to clarify re: GST that you dont need to start collecting it until you reach four consecutive quarters (1 calendar year) of sales OR $30,000 in income, whichever comes first is when Revenue Canada will make you start having to collect and pay.  So, if you do it for 11 months and then drop it and quit, and make under $30,000 Canadian within that time frame, you wont owe a cent in GST.  I don't know if thats how PST in your province works though, as I'm in a province that doesn't have a PST. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

also regarding business license contact your municipality to enquire with them.  Sounds like you are planning on doing this long term.  The advantage to having a business license (they cost different amounts in different cities, for me here in Edmonton they are $244.00 a year) is that you are a legal entity (mine is a sole proprietorship) and this entitles you to write a whole bunch of stuff down on your income tax return for business expenses, as you will be considered a home based business.  Whatever municipality you are in will have specific business licenses for companies that are home based.  You can write down %ages of your rent/mortgage, utilities, vehicle expenses, gas/etc etc etc etc etc as there are so many things that are claimable.  I travel to other cities to buy stuff, and can claim travel expenses including mileage if I drive as well as the amount I spend on buying new items on that tax years return.  This will decrease the amount you will have to pay at income tax time, but making the money you say you are making, I dont think you'll have to pay much if anything at all, as you aren't making that much.  If I was you I wouldn't start being concerned about any of this until you reach the 9 month mark of doing this and have decided that you want to go ahead with it.  If you decide not to go further with it, then you pretty much dont have to do anything.  If you do and end up applying for a GST number and having to file, you wont be out that much - say if you have $6000 in sales in a year to Canadian customers, you'll only have to remit $300, so its not big money.  If you end up getting a main source of income somewhere else and do this for extra pocket change / for a lark, you may not need or want to do anything especially if you aren't making a lot of dough.  $2000 over a couple months isn't a lot of cash, although over a year thats $12,000, of which you would need to apply for a GST number and remit GST on Canadian sales only (GST only applies to sales to Canadian customers, not to international sales).  Honestly it might be worth giving an accountant a call and run your situation past him or her, that may help you make better informed decisions.   

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

pst  on sales to BC i think is over 10k

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@dogepenguingames wrote:

Hi. I'm a 20 something college student who has decided to make a few bucks selling off my personal video game collection, as well as flipping the titles i've found at garage sales and the like.  All used personal property. So far it's been a fun way to make a few bucks and i've been treating it like a hobby. I'm approaching nearly 2k in REVENUE after a few months, but after all expenses, shipping, packaging, and the costs i paid to acquire things initially it's currently around 500$ in profit and growing. I am located in BC. I've been keeping a spreadsheet that records all my costs, but i don't have much in terms of receipts because garage sales and cash.

Good job! You have quickly recognized the importance of keeping careful records,  and are already thinking of next steps. Very good.
From a tax and legal stand point, what do i have to do? I was assuming i merely had to put 500 or whatever it ends up being under my personal income on my taxes. 

I'm afraid reporting  business income is not quite that simple. My advice would be to operate as a "sole proprietorship", there is no advantage in over complicating things and adding overhead by thinking of incorporating, or registering a business name ie: "The Super Video Gamer Company"

Operate under your own legal name. For example if your name were "John Smith" your ebay "individual" account would be registered to "John Smith", the bank account used to receive  business funds would be a personal account (preferably an account for that purpose alone) in the name of "John Smith", purchase business supplies under the name "John Smith" and use a payment method in the name of "John Smith". Your invoices to customers would be in the name of "John Smith". 

Down the road if you are required to register to collect GST or feel it makes business sense to do so voluntarily you would apply under the name "John Smith", sole proprietor.  Everything done related to the business would be under the name and control of John Smith, sole proprietor (sole owner).

Do i need to collect / pay provincial/federal sales tax? Am i required to register for a business license here in british columbia?

I've never conducted business resident in B.C., check with the Provincial Treasurer office on B.C. sales tax requirements.

Right now it sounds like your gross sales are well below the threshold for mandatory GST registration. Another poster mentioned the 30,000 annual gross sales limit which is correct, that said I believe there is also a quarterly limit mechanism, in other words if gross income expands very quickly on  pace to exceed the 30,000 annual it's possible registration may be required prior to the 30,000 mark being reached.  I've forgotten the details. Sometimes it is worthwhile to register for a GST account voluntarily to recover GST paid on business expenses.

In my opinion I don't think you need to concern yourself with a municipal business license. If you were proposing to run a hair salon out of your basement or a HVAC business out of your garage then perhaps yes, those sorts of activities involve a regular coming and going of customers or having the DESCO plumbing supply truck delivering twice a day. Those sorts of activities tend to draw complaints from the neighbours which is precisely why Municipalities like to issue business licenses, they use them to control commercial businesses attempting to operate in residential neighbourhoods. One person selling DVDs from their computer in the back bedroom is not going to need a business license.

Some are confused by the terminology used when registering for a GST account. When an individual registers for the GST as a sole proprietor, Revenue Canada issues a Buisness Number (BN) that applies to the individual. The individual uses that number as an identifier for the various Federal programs like GST/HST, Payroll, Income Tax etc.  The BN is NOT required until it becomes mandatory for the individual to apply for one or more of the Federal programs mentioned.

I'm sure these questions can be answered by digging into the wall of text that is gov.bc.ca but i figured i could pose this question to the canada ebay community as well because im sure there are many of you that started in a similar situation, and may have advice for me. Thank you. 

If you are serious about developing a small business I highly recommend exploring the resources available on the CRA site.  At a minimum download the T2125 Statement of Business Income form found at the link below. This is the form that you will need to include with your T1 General. It is a good idea to setup your spreadsheet in such a way that the columns map directly to the applicable lines on the T2125, doing so simplifies the transfer of info from spreadsheet to form. Remember there is a new version of the form issued every year, so this version applies only to the 2020 tax year.

T2125 Statement of Business or Professional Activities - Canada.ca

Below is a link to Guide T4003 which is required reading if you want to learn how to complete the T2125 form. There are supplementary forms that may be required, the Guide will explain those. In the situation as you described, I doubt you need to worry about the Capital Cost Allowance section. At this stage I definitely would not recommend trying to claim any business portion of home expenses like hydro, home heating, property taxes or anything along those lines, don't expect your business use would meet the requirements to make that sort of claim. If there comes a point where you find yourself driving all over the place on business errands you would be justified in claiming a portion of  automobile expenses. Here, an accurate log book of kilometers driven for business purposes must be kept to determine what percentage of gas, repairs, maintenance, license and CCA to claim. 

Read this guide front to back, and back to front several times with the T2125 in front of you. Don't be fearful of the CRA, if you file something out of place they'll let you know. lol. Seriously though, corrected forms are re-filed all the time, it's not that big of a deal. Filing as a simple sole proprietor of a business as you describe is not all that difficult.

Self employed Business, Professional, Commission, Farming, and Fishing Income: Table of Contents - C...

When you come across a difficult subject, and you will, search the CRA site for Interpretation Bulletins on the subject, those often clear up how to proceed.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

something else to remember: claiming small business/self-employed income allows deductions for automobile use, certain percentages of home exspences, etc, but you will also have to pay Canada Pension Plan payments on it too. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply