What gives? Ebay gives money back to buyer when I proved they received

I don't understand the seller protection. I shipped a lot of 10 items to a buyer. The buyer claims he only got 4 plus a few parts of the others. I provide tracking including a verified weight by UPS and a weight of each individual item showing there was no way the package could only contain 4 items unless I sent a pile of rocks with it as well. I suggest that the buyer returns what he has for refund.

In the end, ebay refunds the full amount plus shipping to the buyer and I am left with nothing. This seems like outright stealing to me.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: What gives? Ebay gives money back to buyer when I proved they received

ebay is always in favour of the source of money, i.e. buyers, no matter what. The customer support are not doing thorough investigation. They quicly decide in favour of buyers.

But this buyer must be dishonest, he could return the items or pay you back, through paypal,  the right price for the remaining items.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

eBay just told me to contact UPS. I still don't understand how they can issue a refund to the buyer for the full amount when the buyer is claiming her received half the shipment (even though I sent it all).

Not only that buy both Paypal and ebay kept all the fees for the transaction so not only am I out the cost of the items and shipping, but I have to pay all the fees on top of it?

Just very frustrating since I have sold the exact items to others over the past few months and have not had any issues. Why suddenly would I rip off one person out of the blue?
Message 3 of 23
latest reply

I had this happen one time .. Contact paypal and talk to them and explain ( pretend buyer is not lying ) They said they received half the order but you gave a full refund and politely tell them you wish to have the money back for the half of the order they received... Paypal gave me half back when I did ....

This is why Tracking is an useless as the numbers on the paper... 

Many people willl tell you a million way to protect yourself LISTEN TO THESE NEXT WORDS CAREFULLY ..

Tracking will help with alot but at the end of the day if the buyers is scum bag enough there is always a way to rip the sellers off .. I would be willing to bet there is more then a few people making there living doing this

THERE IS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PROTECTION ....

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Well thanks for the responses. I am not a regular seller on ebay and in fact many years ago I had given it a try only to be plagued with similar type scams. After that I quit selling on ebay. Fast forward years later to now, I thought maybe that things had improved some but evidently not. I have had 16 transactions go fine in the last few months (I know, low volume seller), one non-paying bidder and now this scam that steals $300 from me.

I really can`t believe eBay allows this sort of activity to occur especially when I provided as much proof as I possible could including pictures and verified information from UPS. The only thing they suggest is to go to UPS and see if they will reimburse. Fine, maybe UPS should share some responsibility if it was their error, however, eBay is completely washing their hands of the situation taking the side of the buyer who only said they received half of the shipment. The buyer was unable to provide evidence of tampering or any other possibility, only saying the package was delivered on their porch and when they looked only half the material was there.

Anyway I am just disappointed in eBay and the lack of any respect for the members that provide them with a business. Very sad.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Most of us have all been .. I feel your pain ..  In my early days I had a Uk buyers rip me off for $300 then sell the item the next week even though they never received them hmmmmmmmm....

Paypal will sometimes help in situation like this because they want to keep everyone happy .... I once had paypal refund the buyer but not take it from me ..

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

If ups left it on a porch and it was tampered with before the customer got home them it is the fault of ups. Open a claim. They once left a $400 carburetor on my front step which was 4 feet away from the sidewalk no porch no fence and of course it went missing. They had to pay up. Ups requires a signature.

Our advice is first of all not to ever use ups again. We learned the hard way with many shipment problems they caused over the years. We will also not buy if ups is the shipper for the same reason.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

@don242can wrote:

I have had 16 transactions go fine in the last few months (I know, low volume seller), one non-paying bidder and now this scam that steals $300 from me.

You didn't provide all the information in your first post... if the value was more than $250, you need a Signature Confirmation to win the claim with PayPal. Did you have a signature?

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

So it is better to talk to PayPal instead of eBay? I thought they were the same? The total cost was $250 with sjhipping. But add to that the eBay and PayPal fees since they still take the fees plus refund the entire amount to the buyer. I don't get that either. How can they take more money than the original transaction? As for signature, it doesn't appear that ups has a signature in the delivery confirmation, which seems consistent since they just left it in the porch.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

@don242can wrote:

I have had 16 transactions go fine in the last few months (I know, low volume seller), one non-paying bidder and now this scam that steals $300 from me.

You didn't provide all the information in your first post... if the value was more than $250, you need a Signature Confirmation to win the claim with PayPal. Did you have a signature?

PayPal.ca changed the amount from $350 to $850 CAD on May 15, 2014.

Here is the update notice

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full

Here is the new agreement with the new rate in effect.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?country.x=CA&locale.x=en_CA#11

See section 11.4

USA is at $750 US so no signature confirmation is needed for a very large amount now.

As for the OP, May 15 is a key date. When was the item paid for by the seller as that is the date that determines what coverage is applicable and whether signature confirmation is needed or not.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

I had that happened with FEDEX once - item was missing - buyer claimed.

Ebay is right. 

Contact delivery company for reimbursement.

Fedex after contacting buyer and few calls issued me $70 check (full amount)

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Thanks again to everyone for the replies. UPS rejected my claim initially but after I called and spoke to them they said they would definitely reimburse for the missing items. Will see if that happens.Then I will go to pay pal for the items that weren't missing. Doesn't seem right that they reimburse the full amount while the buyer hangs on to what they have received. If that is the case the buyer should send the items that he did get back.    

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

Well I received reimbursement from UPS for the lost portion of the shipment. The buyer told UPS that he will keep the portion he received.

So I call ebay to tell them that UPS reimbursed the lost portion, but eBay refuses to change their decision. So they have effectively paid the full purchase price back to the buyer, let the buyer keep the material he received and charged me over $30 in fees. So it seems the buyer winds and ebay wins.

What a great business ebay runs. I am sure glad they care so much about the sellers who use their site. As long as they get their cut, that seems to be all that matters.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

To solve the problem, send your buyer a PayPal invoice for the goods he acknowledged having received.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Thanks for the suggestion about the Paypal invoice. I'll give it a try though I doubt the buyer will pay it given that he has already received his full money back and was able to keep the components he did get.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

"I doubt the buyer will pay"

I am an optimist.  Always.  The glass is always half full, never half empty.

Why assume the buyer is not honest?  I would rather assume the buyer is honest, will realize the reality of the situation and pay for the goods received.

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

You are right. I shouldn't assume the worst. However, considering that the buyer has been less than helpful through this whole process leads me to think that it will never happen. Even UPS when they investigated had trouble getting anything out of the person regarding the package. Anyway, doesn't hurt to try.

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

Just as an update. No response from the buyer. When I spoke with eBay the best they would do they sent an email to the buyer reminding him that he has been reimbursed in full and that he must return what he has or make payment for the parts he received. That didn't do any good either.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

These situations are highly educational for all of us reading. While this may not work out to your satisfaction, take solace in the fact that these situations, while annoying, are few and far between.

The most recent truly annoying customer, I have had, was about April 2013. An undeserved neg or neut, here or there, oh yeah, well, bite me, but, really annoying? 14 months and maybe 700 sales ago.

I can take 1/700. My glass is always more than half full.

Had a nice little $300 sale a month ago. Dangit if the buyer says he does not need the part. He returns it, in good order, original, never opened, agrees to a buyer initiated cancellation.

Yes, I lost the shipping cost, but, so did the buyer in returning it. Sometimes it is a win even when it goes poorly.
Photobucket
Message 19 of 23
latest reply

"No response from the buyer."

A week after you sent the original PayPal invoice, from your PayPal activity page, click on Reminder.  PayPal will then send another email message to the buyer advising of the invoice.

Repeat every seven days if necessary.

There is no need to directly communicate further with that buyer.  Let the system do the job.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply