When was the official year that proof coins in sets, were struck for Canadian coins.

Hi Guys,

Can anyone definitively tell me when the first proof set was issued for Canadian coins?  I have been told 1973, some say 1967 some say 1935.  Help.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

When was the official year that proof coins in sets, were struck for Canadian coins.

just to let you all know the first proof like sets were produced in 1954,from 54 up were all six coin sets,some 67 sets came with the medallion and some did not

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

Thats proof like not proof. First proof coins were in 1981...in canada
Message 22 of 25
latest reply

@dougiestyle1 wrote:
Thats proof like not proof. First proof coins were in 1981...in canada

Yes, 1981 is the correct answer.

1981 was the first year that the RCM issued two new different qualities of silver dollars.

One version was the Proof, the second version was the Brilliant Uncirculated.

The 1981 issue commemorates the Canadian Pacific Railway's Centennial.

The frosted relief of a proof stike coin is quite obvious, whereas specimen coins are often confused with Brilliant Uncirculated even though the difference is pretty blatant.

There are many Brilliant Uncirculated silver dollars listed as Proof on eBay.

Another potentially misleading term is "Proof-like" to describe an item as being a higher grade such as MS.

It 's often used to describe higher grade business strikes or specimens.

Proof coins always have a higher retail value, but Brilliant Uncirculated have a much lower mintage.

Perhaps because of the higher demand for Proof coins.

To correct earlier comments...

1935 silver dollar commemorating the Silver Jubilee of King George V is nothing more than a business strike commemorative silver dollar, aside from being Canada's first silver dollar issue.

Call 'em "proof-like" if you've got an uncirculated set, but no Proof sets were issued in 1954.

The 1967 silver dollar is a business strike. Call an uncirculated "proof-like" coin a Specimen if you like.

1971 silver dollar commemorating the B.C. Centennial is a specimen silver dollar.

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

murphcrud  wrote:

Hi Guys,

Can anyone definitively tell me when the first proof set was issued for Canadian coins?  I have been told 1973, some say 1967 some say 1935.  Help.

None of the above.

2015 zombie thread

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 25 of 25
latest reply