Wow, did USPS first class rates go up.

I sell CD's and this week I had to buy USPS after the rates went up last week and WOW, every single buyer was in zone 8.  I have to revise all my listings and add $1.50 to the shipping costs.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I am sure this is going to have an affect on all sales for me, others in Canada that use USPS first class and the sellers in the US.  On the .com chat, I see several are moving away from free shipping to calculated.   At least we are all on the same playing field.  

It is a slow process to revise 1500 listings when you have the shipping costs with combined shipping listed in the TOS.  I'm doing 100 at a time per day, at that rate it will take over 2 weeks. 

For some of the slower, less expensive CD's, I am also looking selling 2 CD's at a time.  Or bulk of 6 or so.  Media mail is cheap in the US.  

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

For those of us who use Canada Post - it's good,  specially on flat rate. I just had an email conversation a couple of days ago with a US seller who was going to charge me $60 US to ship me some radio test equipment. When I told him he was way high on the shipping - he said no, that was the correct rate for priority post with tracking. When I told him I could send a radio to him that was three times as big and twice the weight for $32 US with tracking - he did not believe me, so I sent him my eBay listings to look at. He did and could not believe it.

So pad your items only a little bit get your shipping prices right and you can ship very economically to the States. 

I use flat rate and am competitive - but there are a lot of sellers out there still trying to make extra money on shipping - buyers aren't stupid.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Holy ALL CAPS and exclamation points!!!!

!!

!

SO GLAD I LIVE ON THE NORTH SIDE OF THE DISCUSSION BOARDS!!!!

!!!

Sorry, I know it’s a serious concern. It seems as if domestic USPS First Class Parcel is entering Canada Post rates for some regions. Except their most expensive is probably still equal to or lesser than our rate to mail the least distance possible.

Won’t this affect our rates heading south next year?
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

That's a good point Mo.  It probably will affect Canadian rates next year.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

USPS Priority can be fairly expensive and for far distances within the US, it is closer to Canada Post rates but first class domestic is still very far from the domestic rates we have here.

If sellers use ebay labels which has commerical pricing, a 450 gram (just under 16 oz.) package from New York to California or Hawaii will cost US$5.33.    For me to send a 100 gram package within the city I live in is $C12.00. If I was in the US, it would cost me US$2.66 to mail that same package to another part of the city and probably to another part of the state.

If anyone is interested in their rates, there is a chart for first class in post 11 and for Priority in post 14 in the following thread.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/New-ridiculous-postage-prices-the-begining-of-the-end...

Message 7 of 7
latest reply