SMALL PACKET/PARCEL AIR NO LONGER INSURED.

Canada post has changed its policy on small packets/parcels air or surface as of 14 Jan.2013.

Claims for this service are no longer possible.

One needs to use the expensive trackable service.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Yes, you'll see that there has been a lot of discussion on these boards on this subject since early January.  It's a real loss for those of us who depended on it.  I thought it was one of the best services Canada Post offered.  Fast, inexpensive, insured, and with online labelling - terrific!

I am now using a sort of "triage" system with respect to shipping -- I'm sending some without insurance that I would previously have sent Small Packet, and others with the more expensive Tracked Packet.  Lose-lose for sellers and buyers. 😞

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

"One needs to use the expensive trackable service."

Needs?

Not really.  In most instances there is no "need" for the expensive service giving you added "insurance" in case of loss or damage.

How many claims have you made with Canada Post in the last year as a percentage of all shipments?

Work your own numbers and you will quickly conclude the extra cost for "insurance" is not "needed",

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Has anyone have any history with 3rd party insurance "insurepost' used in conjunction with Canada Post Small packet air?

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Insurepost is relatively new (1-2 years old) and is part of shipsurance who have been around a long time. Shipsurance offers one time insurance for casual users of their insurance but you had to fill out the same information (your name and address and other constant details). Insurepost was setup to allow you to set up an account to supply all of those details once and purchase casual insurance easier. I emailed Insurepost on this when they started up.

Some things that you need to know about Insurepost/shipsurance

1) Only insures some countries. Make sure that the country you want to ship to is covered. See their FAQs page for a list of countries covered.

2) Some items are excluded for insurance coverage like laptops, cell phones, etcetera. see their website for a list of items covered.

3) You must have proof of mailing to be covered. If you use Small Packet Air USA or International, you need a proof of mailing. If you go to the post office, then your receipts for purchase are proof of mailing.  If you use PayPal shipping labels, then prepare your package as usual and keep the bottom half (your PayPal receipt). Show the package and receipt to the post office and have them stamp the bottom half for proof of mailing at the post office.

If you use U-Pic insurance instead of shipsurance, then proof of mailing is not required.

The about was researched and discussed roughly a year ago in these forums. It should still be up to date but you may want to verify all of the details on your own. Read all of the terms and conditions and try to understand it all. Otherwise you may be purchasing insurance and not be covered.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"One needs to use the expensive trackable service."

Needs?

Not really.  In most instances there is no "need" for the expensive service giving you added "insurance" in case of loss or damage.

How many claims have you made with Canada Post in the last year as a percentage of all shipments?

Work your own numbers and you will quickly conclude the extra cost for "insurance" is not "needed",

I totally agree with you Pierre. But there is a dollar tipping point . For example: when I send out a $400.00 package, I do get some piece of mind spending the extra $6.00 for full insurance.

Actually, I try to work it into the total cost if I can.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

"I do get some piece of mind spending the extra $6.00 for full insurance."

Great if it works for you.

I look at the total average over the years.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I think Canada Post is pathetic for not offering insurance any more on small and light packets. 

Any buyer can simply say they never received an item - open a claim against a seller and there is NO WAY to prove that the item was ever sent. PAYPAL and EBAY will ALWAYS take the buyer's side so the seller is left UNPROTECTED every time. I lost hundreds of dollars last year because of this.

Tracket Packet?  What a joke!! It's only available to such a limited number of countries, and on top of that it's almost 3 times as expensive as Small Packet/Light packet airmail.  

HOw about International Parcel Air - same deal - only available to a select number of countries and way overpriced.

How can a Canadian Seller offer affordable rates for small items to International Customers?  It's just not possible anymore unless you want to open yourself up to the risk of claims.

And Ebay - shame on you for promoting Tracked Packet as though it's some kind of save in grace..it's OK for Canada to US shipments, but for the rest of the world it SUCKS!

The way I get around this which is cumbersome and complicated (not to mention confusing to explain to my customers) - I opened a USPS account with a  US Paypal Account, attached to a US BANK, with a US DEBIT VISA CARD from Bank of America - using a US Shipping address from CBI USA - amass a number of items, print the labels before driving across the border to the USA in Niagara Falls NY and drop them off at the Post Office.  I use FIRST CLASS mail that USPS offers which includes Tracking AND Insurance.   Yea it's a pain to pay the bridge toll and to spend a full day every month driving and dealing with border agents - but it works out way better for my customers.  Canada Post is retarded for not offering something comparable - in my opinion they are just losing business.

I'm interested in this InsurePost service - thanks for suggesting it and I'm going to look into it as it sounds like it might help with this situation.

Canada Post - even your surface rates are ridiculously overpriced and slow

I feel better now that i've vented here..thanks

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

One thing is that I don't understand about Canada Post is that why can't Canada Post offer us tracking number for $1.00 on any mail service even on small packe air?  USPS offers $1.00 for tracking number on lettermail, first class mail, etc.

Since USPS and Canada Pack has tracking equipment to track all packages, so why not Canada Post offer us tracking number for $1.00 on any mail service??  Why did they pay millions & millions on tracking equipment and not offer us tracking number for $1.00 on any mail service?  They would generate lots of $$$ bty offering us tracking number for $1.00 on each package on any mail service and we all would be happy to see where our pacakges are going and arrived.

It doesn't matter that Canada Post WANTS us to pay hefty overpriced rates like Expedited Mail, Tracked Packet or XpressPost, they should offer us tracking number on any mail including lettermail, small packet air, etc, etc.  PERIOD!!

Canada Post wake up and get on the program!!

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Canada Post offering tracking on everything!  Great idea.

Canada Post delivers 11,000,000,000 (eleven billion) pieces of mail a year.  Why don't you write to Canada Post management with your idea and ask them if they have the equipment to handle such "tracked" volume? 

It works out to about 44,000,000 every business day.

Tell them how much more money they would make.

Good Luck.

PS - Let us know once you get a reply.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I learned this the hard way. I sent an iPhone to Hungary with no insurance or tracking, well of course it has disappeared into the wild blue yonder never to be seen again. I am hoping I can track it by iCloud if they try to activate it. This has been a very expensive lesson for me and one I won't make again. I'll never send anything without tracking again. I'll pay the extra cost. It is getting to the point where it is hardly worth selling or buying due to the high cost of postage.
Message 11 of 11
latest reply