Shippo Label WARNING - Creating labels with end of address removed!

I just experienced a shippo problem I didn't expect, and I encourage others to be alert to the same problem.    I was creating a label for Canadapost Xpresspost.

In this case, everything looked fine.    

The address for the buyer was imported into Shippo.    Everything went as normal.

I purchased the label, then download it to my computer to print it.

At that time, before printing, I checked the label on mycomputer screen (first time I could see it in full), and the shipping address had been abbreviated!!!!!

In my case, the shipping address from ebay (which shows in shippo when  entering the package size etc), had the recipients building number and room number at the end of the address line.

When the label was downloaded, the building number and room number were absent from the label - ie making the label useless because the address shown on the label is incomplete!

This means that Shippo's address field is longer than the label address field.

Shippo will accept addresses that are too long for the label field.    

Instead of wrapping the address text into a second line, shippo responds by deleting the end of the address!!!!!

Luckily I saw this problem before I printed the label and stuck it to the package, and handed it to the post office - because if I had done so, it would not have been delivered to the ebay buyer.

I then pressed the refund label button, thinking I would make a second label, and this time manually split the address over two lines.

Shippo immediately REJECTED my refund????

I created a second label as above, by manually rearranging the recipient's address invoice.

Unfortunately shippo has charged me for both ($114 each time).

Bottomline is shippo created a useless label I did not want, and can not use, and charged me for it.    They then refused to refund me for the useless label.

I have written to Shippo to fix this problem and issue my refund.

If they refuse to do so I will do a Visa charge back and shippo can deal with Visa.

CHECK YOU SHIPPO LABELS before you use them - just because everything was fine when you purchased the label, does not mean that Shippo will create a label that contains all the required address information!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

When the label was downloaded, the building number and room number were absent from the label - ie making the label useless because the address shown on the label is incomplete!

Did you write the missing information on the label?

The postal code alone will get it to the right municipality and even to the right postal walk.

Not surprisingly, most letter carriers can read and know their area well.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@avionsunantiques wrote:

I created a second label as above, by manually rearranging the recipient's address invoice.

There was no need to purchase another one. You could have written the missing info by hand. I do this often with PayPal labels, because they don't print the whole zip code when there are 4 additional digits.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Thank you for your reply.

It was going to CHINA.

How certain are you that international mail is delivered in China as you describe?

I am impressed if all Chinese mail delivery people can read English.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

FWIW and it ain't much, one of the official languages of the Universal Postal Union is English.

It was added in 1994, although the UPU itself was formed in 1874 at the suggestion of the USA.

The other languages are French, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, and Spanish.

Theoretically, at the first stop an English reader would do the translation, in pen, on the envelope from English to Chinese. I've seen many covers (DH being a retired stamp dealer) where just that has happened.

This is an example that was in my "to do" box. Not exactly what we were talking about.

MRY MAXIM 480.jpeg

Presumably the Chinese got in out of Hong Kong and the English got it to Mr. War.

The problem with Shippo may have been an inability to reproduce the Chinese characters.

If you can't write Chinese, and most Canadians can't, could you photocopy the correct address and paste that on to the parcel.?

Message 5 of 5
latest reply