What you need to know about Shippo insurance

Well, Shippo started talking to me again today, they have been busy with the influx of new Ebay customers.  My overbilling problem relates to an attempt by me to purchase additional shipping insurance on Shippo.  I have learned that you do not purchase the additional insurance from Canada Post.  Shippo cuts into the loop between you and Canada Post and sends your insurance money to what I believe is a Shippo subsidiary.   Re my previous posting about being over billed, I have asked for receipt for the additional insurance I attempted to buy (but never got) or a refund.  That query has gone up the chain of command and is yet to be  answered.

If you purchase additional shipping insurance from Shippo and you have to make a claim; You have to make TWO claims.  You have to claim the first $100 to Canada Post and the reminder to Shipnurance.  Rather than re-type everything I going to do a snip of the email that I received in response to my questions.  I hope that is allowed here.

Here goes I hope this works.

Hello Fred,

Rebekah here again to help answer your questions. Answers below pertain to Shipsurance, our third-party insurance provider, assuming a package of $400 value. The terms I reference can be found here: https://goshippo.com/terms-service/insurance/

a.) Canada Post covers the first $100. When purchasing insurance from Shippo do you purchase just the additional $300? Yes, this program is additional insurance on top of the $100. After Canada Post pays up to the $100 limit, Shipsurance would cover the remaining $300. You'll only need to purchase $300 of insurance. Excerpt from the Terms below:

​​

b.) If a claim is required, do you have to claim the first $100 from CP and the $300 from the 3rd party? Yes, see above

c.) Are you supposed to purchase the full $400 from Shippo and forget Canada Post? If you purchase $400 of additional insurance through Shipsurance, then your package will be insured for $500, which would exceed the value.

d.) Canada Post is not listed on the list of carriers that Shipsurance supports (that I could see)? Yes, Canada Post is one of the carriers covered. See excerpt below: ​​

Please let me know if there are other questions we can answer! As soon as Amanda has additional information about your billing question, we'll get back to you with that update.

Cheers, Rebekah 

Fred here again.  I hope this helps, for the packages that I ship that require additional insurance, I will purchase directly from Canada Post.  I read some of the Shipnurance web site; way too happy and too oversimplified and so easy, yeah, right, I believe that;  sounds a little scammy to me.

All the Best,

Fred

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

@momcqueen wrote:
“ALL EBAY transactions using Shippo and only Ebay shipments go through the account Shippo set up for you when you signed on. None of those transactions show up on your direct (non Ebay) Canada Post account. None of them influence your sales volume discount level with Canada Post which also substantiates what I passed on in the thread from the Canada Post CSR.”

I’m logged into my Solutions For Small Business Account right now and viewing 50+ labels printed through Shippo this quarter.

"I’m logged into my Solutions For Small Business Account right now and viewing 50+ labels printed through Shippo this quarter."

Hi. Thanks for the comment.

When you say you're logged into "MY Solutions CP Account" are you referring to the one you set up yourself at the CP website and gave it a user name & password or are you referring to  the "EBay only" CP account SHIPPO set up when you signed on with them? On Shippos you can only print eBay labels and nothing else.

On the In your list of Couriers in "Shippo Settings" do you have two CP accounts? I'm guessing you only have one and it has a grandfathered gliche.

Well you read it straight from the Hippos mouth. Shippo is definitively saying your situation is not the way they're doing business currently.  Canada Post is saying the same thing.  I would expect Canada Post's recent extended incorporation into PayPal will also reflect the same thing.

It would be great if some other sellers would comment on their situations. It's beginning to sound like a few early Shippo accounts are benefitting from grandfathered glitches. If that's the case enjoy! I won't kiss and tell! I don't think it's typical and hope I'm not the only one losing CP benefits from Shippo (or PayPal) purchases.

Other Sellers, please look at your Shippo Couriers list. Let us know if you have two CP accounts and if the Shippo (eBay only) account purchases are being included in your Discount Level evaluation by Canada Post. Thanks!

Message 41 of 60
latest reply

@intimewithmusic wrote:

When you say you're logged into "MY Solutions CP Account" are you referring to the one you set up yourself at the CP website and gave it a user name & password or are you referring to  the "EBay only" CP account SHIPPO set up when you signed on with them? On Shippos you can only print eBay labels and nothing else.

On the In your list of Couriers in "Shippo Settings" do you have two CP accounts? I'm guessing you only have one and it has a grandfathered gliche.

Well you read it straight from the Hippos mouth. Shippo is definitively saying your situation is not the way they're doing business currently.  Canada Post is saying the same thing.  I would expect Canada Post's recent extended incorporation into PayPal will also reflect the same thing.

It would be great if some other sellers would comment on their situations. It's beginning to sound like a few early Shippo accounts are benefitting from grandfathered glitches. If that's the case enjoy! I won't kiss and tell! I don't think it's typical and hope I'm not the only one losing CP benefits from Shippo (or PayPal) purchases.

I don't think that it has anything to do with our accounts being grandfathered but that the problem is that when you signed up with Shippo a new CP small business account was created. When I started my Shippo account, I linked it with the CP sb account that I've had for years.  I was curious to see if it was still possible to do that so just now I opened a Shippo/ebay account on my buyer ID and I was able to link the same CP sba that I've always had.  Earlier in the thread I either missed the fact that you were using 2 different CP accounts or it wasn't mentioned but either way it makes perfect sense that if you sign into your older CP account, your ebay labels won't show up because they were not done under that account number. If you sign into your CP account using the number that you use on Shippo for your labels, you should be able to see the labels that you've done for ebay packages.

I do remember when I linked my ebay and Shippo accounts that it was a bit confusing  there were some who did end up starting a new CP account on Shippo by mistake but I don't see why it would be necessary to do so. I've never tried to do a non ebay label on Shippo but even if it isn't possible to so, I could go to Snapship and print one there.  If you do a lot of non ebay labels it might be a good idea to delete one of your CP accounts and use just one of them for all of your labels, regardless of where they are printed.

Message 42 of 60
latest reply

I'm speaking of my Canada Post account as viewed when I log into my Solutions for Small Business user name and view my Dashboard with records of all my shipments for the past quarter. It shows all the labels that I printed using Shippo. And I only have one SfSB account attached to my business. It's the one I use for purchasing postage, regardless of whether it's through Shippo or Canada Post EST or SnapShip tools. I didn't create another for Shippo, I attached the one I've had since 2012. 

I'm not referring to my Shippo account, that speaks for itself. 

I have no 'EBay only' CP account for SHIPPO established.

On Shippo you can print any label for any carrier that you desire using any carrier with which you have associated an account on Shippo -- the instructions to do so are available under one of the tabs -- but the eBay-specific additional discount is only available for labels associated with ebay purchases, not the others. For example, I can use Shippo with my Shopify store too. It's a standalone shipping provider that isn't only in existence for ebay. 

Message 43 of 60
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@intimewithmusic wrote:

I don't think that it has anything to do with our accounts being grandfathered but that the problem is that when you signed up with Shippo a new CP small business account was created. When I started my Shippo account, I linked it with the CP sb account that I've had for years.  I was curious to see if it was still possible to do that so just now I opened a Shippo/ebay account on my buyer ID and I was able to link the same CP sba that I've always had.  Earlier in the thread I either missed the fact that you were using 2 different CP accounts or it wasn't mentioned but either way it makes perfect sense that if you sign into your older CP account, your ebay labels won't show up because they were not done under that account number. If you sign into your CP account using the number that you use on Shippo for your labels, you should be able to see the labels that you've done for ebay packages.

I do remember when I linked my ebay and Shippo accounts that it was a bit confusing  there were some who did end up starting a new CP account on Shippo by mistake but I don't see why it would be necessary to do so. I've never tried to do a non ebay label on Shippo but even if it isn't possible to so, I could go to Snapship and print one there.  If you do a lot of non ebay labels it might be a good idea to delete one of your CP accounts and use just one of them for all of your labels, regardless of where they are printed.

Thanks pjcdn2005 for your input. Nick from Shippo just explained to me why a few EBay sellers are accumulating CPSBS volume and others aren't. this is what he said 20 minutes ago:

"Thanks for reaching back out. There could be cases where these sellers have connected commercial accounts that have even better negotiated rates than what we offer using our discounted carrier account. due to their high volume. These sellers would be using their own Canada Post accounts to accomplish this, which explains why they are getting credit towards their savings level." Nick Brunner (Shippo)

I think that you are right by saying there are alternate ways to set up Shippo and integrate different CP accounts. The question is, Why? The more I look into this the more confusion seems to develop. Apparently when I set up I did everything right. I didn't want a second account but the setup seemed to enforce it. I'm told now my original account is not properly set up with "API". Until today I had no idea what API is and frankly it's too complicated for most eBay sellers to need to know. That being said if you do understand API integration it might help you to configure the setup so your shipping costs count. either you knew what you were doing or you did it by accident! What Nick seems to be saying is that there is an option... Sometimes selling on Ebay reminds me of being lost in a very large building and looking for a certain door!

Message 44 of 60
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

I'm speaking of my Canada Post account as viewed when I log into my Solutions for Small Business user name and view my Dashboard with records of all my shipments for the past quarter. It shows all the labels that I printed using Shippo. And I only have one SfSB account attached to my business. It's the one I use for purchasing postage, regardless of whether it's through Shippo or Canada Post EST or SnapShip tools. I didn't create another for Shippo, I attached the one I've had since 2012. 

I'm not referring to my Shippo account, that speaks for itself. 

I have no 'EBay only' CP account for SHIPPO established.

On Shippo you can print any label for any carrier that you desire using any carrier with which you have associated an account on Shippo -- the instructions to do so are available under one of the tabs -- but the eBay-specific additional discount is only available for labels associated with ebay purchases, not the others. For example, I can use Shippo with my Shopify store too. It's a standalone shipping provider that isn't only in existence for ebay. 

Thanks for the clarity. What we have learned here is that all of us are right. There are two ways to link a Canada Post account when getting setup with Shippo although Shippo doesn't say that in as many words.  That wasn't clear when I setup with them but that was a long time ago. I hope it is clear now to newer Sellers. To avoid repetition there's more on this in the neighbouring messages.

Message 45 of 60
latest reply

@intimewithmusic wrote:

Thanks pjcdn2005 for your input. Nick from Shippo just explained to me why a few EBay sellers are accumulating CPSBS volume and others aren't. this is what he said 20 minutes ago:

"Thanks for reaching back out. There could be cases where these sellers have connected commercial accounts that have even better negotiated rates than what we offer using our discounted carrier account. due to their high volume. These sellers would be using their own Canada Post accounts to accomplish this, which explains why they are getting credit towards their savings level." Nick Brunner (Shippo)

NO. We are receiving credits towards our saving levels because when we print a shipping label, CP knows we have done so because our CP small business account and Shippo accounts are linked.   I certainly do not have a high volume and I receive the same discount that a new seller would so Nick really does not seem to know how it works. He is correct in that we are using our own CP accounts to accomplish that but there is nothing to stop you from doing the same.

I think that you are right by saying there are alternate ways to set up Shippo and integrate different CP accounts. The question is, Why? The more I look into this the more confusion seems to develop. Apparently when I set up I did everything right. I didn't want a second account but the setup seemed to enforce it. I'm told now my original account is not properly set up with "API". Until today I had no idea what API is and frankly it's too complicated for most eBay sellers to need to know. That being said if you do understand API integration it might help you to configure the setup so your shipping costs count. either you knew what you were doing or you did it by accident! What Nick seems to be saying is that there is an option... Sometimes selling on Ebay reminds me of being lost in a very large building and looking for a certain door!

I suspect that the problem is that some people had their CP accounts when they started with Shippo and some didn't.  Perhaps Shippo assumed that people didn't so they pushed them towards setting up their CP account while signing up for Shippo.  I really don't have an answer and I think it is odd that Shippo staff seem to be giving all kinds of reasons why there is a difference when it seems quite basic to me.    API is some sort of communications interface so perhaps Shippo is not communicating with CP that you  are using your business account when printing labels. I don't know the answer, I just know that you should quit listening to Shippo tell you that some of us have some sort of special accounts so that is why we CP sees what labels we buy and they don't see yours. They need to figure out exactly what the problem is and help you set it up so that CP and Shippo are linked up to one of your small business accounts. I would probably delete the one that you don't need or use. 

Message 46 of 60
latest reply

So, is there any way to check how much coverage you've purchased through GoShippo/Shipsurance? I need to make a claim on an item that has been lost in transit (CP has already issued me a check for the postage and the $100 basic coverage) but I can't recall how much coverage I've purchased for the item. I am fairly certain I didn't buy enough to fully cover the item (Stupid, I know.) but anything would be nice.

Do I have to email them? I can't see any way to check on their site, which is a huge inconvenience.
Message 47 of 60
latest reply

@kabgames wrote:
So, is there any way to check how much coverage you've purchased through GoShippo/Shipsurance? I need to make a claim on an item that has been lost in transit (CP has already issued me a check for the postage and the $100 basic coverage) but I can't recall how much coverage I've purchased for the item. I am fairly certain I didn't buy enough to fully cover the item (Stupid, I know.) but anything would be nice.

Do I have to email them? I can't see any way to check on their site, which is a huge inconvenience.

Hi. In my case I didn't need to file a claim as the issue I think was a scan failure but here is what I think will help you. First go into your Shippo Orders page at the Shippo site. find the order and check for the word "Insured" by the rate. You can then email Shippos Customer Service and ask. They have always answered my questions within hours.  The other thing you can do is this; Go to the bottom right hand side of your orders page. You should see a green button for SUPPORT. Open it and type "Shipsurance" into the search box. You should see an option for "How To file A Claim" I know that you don't know your insured amount but open up the claim form anyway. At the top of the Claim form there is an option to contact "Live Claim Support" (certain hours only) and an other option to email them for your answer. There's also a 1-800 phone number at the very bottom of the claims form.  I hope that helps. Not sure if this forum allows links but here it is if they do to save you some time.

https://www.dsiins.com/extclaims/Default.asp?cid=shippo

Message 48 of 60
latest reply

Shipsurance is being very underhanded and rude with me. I purchased $200 additional insurance, on top of the $100 CanadaPost provides (expedited). My item was worth more than $300, but let's just say for simplicity sake the item was a value of $300. Shipsurance is saying that since I entered $200 into the "purchase ADDITIONAL insurance" slot that that is only $100 Shipsurance and $100 courier, not the implied (and contrary to the first page on this thread) $100 courier plus $200 Shipsurance.

So $300 value item, they are telling me I should have entered $300 into the Purchase additional insurance slot, not $200. And they told me that in a rude way too. I'm done with GoShippo and Shipsurance.
Message 49 of 60
latest reply

@kabgames wrote:
Shipsurance is being very underhanded and rude with me. I purchased $200 additional insurance, on top of the $100 CanadaPost provides (expedited). My item was worth more than $300, but let's just say for simplicity sake the item was a value of $300. Shipsurance is saying that since I entered $200 into the "purchase ADDITIONAL insurance" slot that that is only $100 Shipsurance and $100 courier, not the implied (and contrary to the first page on this thread) $100 courier plus $200 Shipsurance.

So $300 value item, they are telling me I should have entered $300 into the Purchase additional insurance slot, not $200. And they told me that in a rude way too. I'm done with GoShippo and Shipsurance.

I feel for you but I wouldn't give up yet. If your description of the "purchase additional insurance" box is accurate It does sound misleading. I would have interpreted "Purchase Additional Insurance" the same as you. Additional mean over and above any other insurance. It does not say "Purchase Tandem Insurance".

Ebay is adding a lot of new 3rd party brokers. Shippo is one. If i was you I would take this up with them and not Shipsurance. Shippo stands to lose your business not Shipsurance. I have already addressed this problem with them. On shipment over $100 the problem of having to deal with Ebay, Paypal, Canada Post and Shipsurance to reverse the damage of a missing item is ridiculous. Ebay licensed Shippo. Shippo dragged along Shipsurance.

First contact Shippo customer service. If there form is misleading then they need to fix it and help you out. I have done that. they told me it's Shipsurance or the highway. I told them that in the future all orders with a value over $100 will not go Shippo. Shippo is in fact, shooting themselves in the foot. Orders over $100 tend to average the highest shipping costs. I ship drumsets and other instruments. Shipping costs can be $500.

Shippo could use Canada Post for our added insurance values but they choose Shipsurance as per their agreement with them. They need to hear your complaint.

If you get nowhere with Shippo contact Ebay but not Ebay Customer Service. You need to contact Ebay administration. One way to do this is to phone in to Ebay Radio and speak with Griff and Lee. You can also email them. Other Ebay administration members are available if you do a search to find them. You may or may not recover your $100 but at least you will have raised eyebrows.

The bottom line: You could have lost $200 but you may only lose $100 because of your additional purchase. Good choice! Lesson learned. Overinsure. Insurance is cheap.

Good Luck.

ITWM

Message 50 of 60
latest reply

Regarding the confusion over exactly how much insurance you're buying when you fill in the Shippo form box "Buy Additional Insurance". Here's the issue. "Buy additional insurance" leads one to believe you're paying extra to insure the dollar amount entered into that box. This is not the case. When you hover over the "info" icon you're directed to enter the FULL VALUE OF THE ITEM not specifically the "additional value" over and above Canada Post's automatic $100 insurance. If you do not happen to HOVER over the "?" you will never see that.  Please see the photo included.

InkedShippo Additional Insurance_LI.jpg

Personally I think this is misleading and Shippo should change it. I also think that the amount of insurance you're actually buying and the amount you, as their customer is paying for it should be clearly included in your order details. You are buying something! If they did that you could verify you hadn't made a mistake and edit the insurance amount in the event you had made a mistake BEFORE you print your label.  What if YOUR customer could not see how many items of yours they put in their shopping cart? Not being able to see those details in the event of a claim also makes for a pretty bad customer experience don't you think?

Message 51 of 60
latest reply

It doesn't make any sense... in the past, I shipped a $300 item. $100 was covered by Canada Post and I wanted to purchase $200. That's the amount I entered, and Shippo charged me 2x US $1 for that (or 2x CAD $1.30). If what you say is true, they were overcharging us all along! Whoever told you that at Shippo is very confused and has the wrong info!

Message 52 of 60
latest reply

Hi.

Thanks for the input. It's actually not me but kabgames that recounted their loss. If you haven't read the thread... (I'm a poet and I don't know it...).. please go back to msg 47 from kabgames and read on. We're trying to address their loss of $100 on a missing item claim, why it happened and how to not let it happen to others. With respect to your past over billing concern it's not what this is about.

In OUR Ebay listings we're not allowed to insert hidden policy that only appears if you purposefully hover over a "?" or an "i". For example. I have a listing for a drum posted at $295 with 12 pictures. Let's say at checkout I have a "?". If you happen to hover over it it says "Drum heads not included". At any time I may change the pop up to read "Heads only, drumshell not included". 

These unseen "HOVER" items are in fact, business policies. They can be changed at any time by Shippo or any others who choose to use them. In the case of Shippo, this means that unless you hover over every single one when you fill their form in every single time to see if it reads the same you are unknowingly accepting whatever is hidden in a totally variable background.

If you fill in ANY box, no matter what it's visible description is without hovering over some tiny tiny icon you may think of it as a grab bag

DEFINITION

ˈɡrab ˌbaɡ/Submit
noun
NORTH AMERICAN
a container from which a person chooses a wrapped item at random, without knowing the contents.
an assortment of miscellaneous items.

@lady.stark wrote:

It doesn't make any sense... in the past, I shipped a $300 item. $100 was covered by Canada Post and I wanted to purchase $200. That's the amount I entered, and Shippo charged me 2x US $1 for that (or 2x CAD $1.30). If what you say is true, they were overcharging us all along! Whoever told you that at Shippo is very confused and has the wrong info!

Message 53 of 60
latest reply

With all due respect, my point has *everything* to do with kabgames post. If he did as I did, he was overcharged insurance costs.

Message 54 of 60
latest reply

I'm sorry. I'm having trouble following lady.stark.  The internet is a recipe for confusion for sure. The above illustration is Shippo's form not an individual.  Possibly you didn't click on the form to open it? None of the thread has to do with the cost of insurance but rather the confusion over the value Shipsurance is brokering when you put your amount into the "Buy Additional Insurance" box. If you click on to enlarge my example above of the form it might explain. The balloon that opens upon hovering over the box is contrary to what the box label says causing shippers to under insure. If you interpret it one way and your shipment gets lost your OK but if you interpret it the other way as in the case of kabgames you lose. (No pun intended) sorry kab couldn't resist....

@lady.stark wrote:

With all due respect, my point has *everything* to do with kabgames post. If he did as I did, he was overcharged insurance costs.

Message 55 of 60
latest reply

My problem is another beast altogether.  So far I have used shippo. i got 5-6 pages  of shipments with no issues.  As for paypal, oh bloody heck, I cannot setup UPS or CPC at all. it just freezes as it tries to authenticate.  At least with Shippo, you got  more selection of carriers.  Though the UPS manual authetication never works with Shippo, technically quite picky.  So it is with FedEX.

Message 56 of 60
latest reply

@tobey_arih wrote:

My problem is another beast altogether.  So far I have used shippo. i got 5-6 pages  of shipments with no issues.  As for paypal, oh bloody heck, I cannot setup UPS or CPC at all. it just freezes as it tries to authenticate.  At least with Shippo, you got  more selection of carriers.  Though the UPS manual authetication never works with Shippo, technically quite picky.  So it is with FedEX.

I had problems too manually setting up UPS through Shippo. I had already opened an account with UPS but hadn't used it.  Before that I was using a UPS local store. They' private businesses so when I opened my online account there was no link.  Although I had an account and contacted Shippo with the problem Shippo still would not give me a discount unless I produced a previous UPS invoice from the online account. I just said "OK. Fine".  I had the problem solved the next morning. 

In case other sellers are interested here's the solution. At least it was for me.  I called the UPS  Small Business Ambassador program. THEY wanted my business a lot more than Shippo. After explaining the problem they gave me a really great discount. I called Shippo and it was done.  

Message 57 of 60
latest reply

I called the UPS  Small Business Ambassador program. THEY wanted my business a lot more than Shippo. After explaining the problem they gave me a really great discount. I called Shippo and it was done.  

Do you get the discount through Shippo or do you have to go through UPS online?

Message 58 of 60
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I called the UPS  Small Business Ambassador program. THEY wanted my business a lot more than Shippo. After explaining the problem they gave me a really great discount. I called Shippo and it was done.  

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I started by sending UPS an email. The small biz ambassador then phoned me directly with my discount. Canada Post has Structured discount levels so Shippo can mimick them. UPS tends to have their own individualized pricing structure. I think that's why Shippo has to see an archive UPS invoice from you before they will set you up so they know what discount to offer. 

Why bother setting up UPS on Shippo at all? Why not just go thru UPS? Answer: So your eBay buyer knows their freight cost and they get a tracking number BUT If you have to deal with two insurers in the event of loss, theft or damage as is the case with Canada Post I would just deal direct with UPS as these are usually larger heavier and more valuable shipments. 

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

She offered the discount. T

Message 59 of 60
latest reply

@intimewithmusic wrote:

The above illustration is Shippo's form not an individual.  Possibly you didn't click on the form to open it? None of the thread has to do with the cost of insurance but rather the confusion over the value Shipsurance is brokering when you put your amount into the "Buy Additional Insurance" box.

It is simple: if you are misled about the insurance amount you put in the box, you are also misled on the price you pay for said insurance. I don't understand why you can't see that... ?

Message 60 of 60
latest reply