Messaging ebay sellers

Why do some ebay sellers not respond to messages? I don't know why they expect buyers to trust them with a purchase when they won't even reply to a message. many times my decision to make a purchase depends on the answer.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Messaging ebay sellers

Their are many reason a seller doesn't reply, either they missed the message, or they are away, or worse they feel the question doesn't require an answer. Some sellers will block buyers when they ask a few questions.. Myself i take the time to answer all questions,  i have asked sellers who doesn't have best offers enabled, if they would consider an offer, and some times i get a response, and some times i get crickets,, every seller is different, so their won't be one answer that covers all the bases..

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Messaging ebay sellers

General answer:

Whether you receive an answer likely depends on the sort of seller you ask, the sort of items you are asking about, and the sort of questions you ask.

Asking a drop-shipper about one of their listings is unlikely to be fruitful. They may not know enough about the product to answer. They may not speak English. Or they may rightly calculate that any honest answer is unlikely to result in a satisfied sale. Not answering saves them effort and time, and avoids a potentially difficult transaction with a picky customer.

Asking a mega bookseller about whether a particular $5 book includes an appendix is unlikely be productive. Almost any time at all spent answering such a question would cost more than the transaction is likely to profit the seller. The same question to a small-time seller with a dozen listings is much more likely to be answered. More so if it is a $50 book, or a $500 book.

It is certainly possible that a seller did not respond because they did not receive the question. Or they are disorganized, and forgot. Or they think the question is sufficiently addressed by the listing description. In general, if no response is forthcoming, you should assume that the answer is not a favorable one where the value of the item is concerned.

If you ask the seller whether the $5 book they are selling is the standard edition or the ultra rare gold-leaf edition, there are three potential scenarios: 1) The seller politely answers that it is, in fact, the standard edition; 2) the seller does not respond at all; 3) the seller ends the listing and relists at a much higher price.

TL;DR: Most prospective buyers ask a question because they are seeking information that will help them put the correct value on an item; a seller that does not answer a simple, polite request is providing valuable information, whether it is recognized as such or not.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Messaging ebay sellers

Thank you for your input !
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Messaging ebay sellers

Thanks for all the useful information, I would certainly appreciate more responsive sellers but I guess I'll just have to trust them and make the order.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Messaging ebay sellers

I had a buyer a long while ago sent me a message asking "What region is this DVD?" when I'm selling a FOLDER... so answering that question was essentially a huge waste of my time which won't result in a sale for sure (but I answered anyway).

Another one was, the buyer asked if the plastic cookie-shaped keychains I was selling were edible. I answered no, they are plastic. No sale from this buyer.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Messaging ebay sellers

Thanks for your reply, no doubt there's no end to the weird questions people are asking LOL

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Messaging ebay sellers

Q - What size is this item?

A - The same size as stated in the listings Item Specifics.

R - Oh, I did not read those...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Q - How many of these do you have?

A - How many do the listing say are currently available for sale individually? That is how many are for sale.

R - Oh, I thought I was getting them all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

BDNR - Buyers do not read

While the majority of shoppers do actually take the time to read a listing, a small demographic does not and never will...

...and are usually the problem shoppers. 

As a Seller I can see why other members would not reply, I myself have done so on occasion. 

As a Buyer, why on earth would I not fully read a listing before asking a question?

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Messaging ebay sellers

Most sellers I encounter are wonderful and some are absolute joys.   It's very rare that I don't buy from a seller when I ask a question and they respond.   I have always had a one-hundred percent feedback score.   I'm polite and I pay quickly.  Despite this, I still encounter the occasional seller who never answers my questions.  I don't understand it, particularly when I'm potentially buying multiple items from them and my questions are about combined shipping.  The only conclusion I can reach is that some sellers can't be bothered to help buyers save on shipping.   In that case, they don't deserve my business, and they won't get it.   There are lots of other merchants on eBay and I'd rather buy from someone who can communicate.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Messaging ebay sellers

Some sellers may review a potential clients feedback left for others which may dissuade them from considering a potential sale. 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply