Shippo just charged me $10.87 for "subscription", no clue where that came from, changed my password

Not sure what's going on but "subscription" would seem to suggest that this is going to happen again, so I changed my password immediately and launched complaints with both Shippo and PayPal. I also informed Shippo that if I don't get a reasonable explanation or if it happens again, I will contact the police. Beginning to think I've had enough of eBay anyways, selling on other sites.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Shippo just charged me $10.87 for "subscription", no clue where that came from, change

If you used Shippo to print a label, today was probably the day you paid for that label. 

Shippo doesn't charge or withdraw funds for postage one at a time like PayPal Shipping did, it put things on account. Today was the day my account was also settled. 

The only way this poses a problem as a transaction for you is if you've never actually used Shippo to print a postage label. Is that what you're saying happened? You've done no postage with them? 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Shippo just charged me $10.87 for "subscription", no clue where that came from, change

How do you get paid on the other sites?

Are you using the new Canada Post SnapShip for shipping ?

I've used it a couple of times and find it tedious not to have prefilled information.

I'm not bothering with Shippo because my first two tries were hopelessly confusing.

I'm too old for this Shippo.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

If you used Shippo to print a label, today was probably the day you paid for that label. 

Shippo doesn't charge or withdraw funds for postage one at a time like PayPal Shipping did, it put things on account. Today was the day my account was also settled. 

The only way this poses a problem as a transaction for you is if you've never actually used Shippo to print a postage label. Is that what you're saying happened? You've done no postage with them? 

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Yup, today was the day my account was "resolved" for a label I purchased 10 days ago, for an item that was delivered 7 days ago. Last time I will ever use "Shippo", I am not going to keep a running tally of my shipping charges and subtract them from my PayPal balance every time I want to do business. Idiotic methodology, what century are these people operating in?

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

@northstar_collectables wrote:

Not sure what's going on but "subscription" would seem to suggest that this is going to happen again, so I changed my password immediately and launched complaints with both Shippo and PayPal. I also informed Shippo that if I don't get a reasonable explanation or if it happens again, I will contact the police. ...

Changing your password DOES NOT change your Shippo authorization to bill PayPal.

You can sign into goshippo.com and change it or you can sign into paypal and change the authorization.

Your PayPal transaction should have had a Shippo Canada Number. The Invoices can be viewed on goShippo.com on the $ Billing page.

What my first Shippo transaction on PayPal looked like...

Shippo payment.jpg

and the details ...

Shippo Billing details.jpg

-..-

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

northstar_collectables wrote:

.... Last time I will ever use "Shippo", I am not going to keep a running tally of my shipping charges and subtract them from my PayPal balance every time I want to do business. Idiotic methodology, what century are these people operating in?

21st century

Or are you suggesting that you prefer that eBay immediately bill you for Final Value and other fees as they occur, rather than have one monthly invoice to pay?

Shippo has a section that tells you what your unbilled transactions are. Look on the $ Billing page.

-..-

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

"Or are you suggesting that you prefer that eBay immediately bill you for Final Value and other fees as they occur, rather than have one monthly invoice to pay?"

I know you're being facetious but I actually would prefer eBay bill me for its fees as they are due -- like PayPal does for services rendered -- than once per month in a large sum.
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

At least with eBay's monthly fees, the invoices are generated and sent to the seller, and the user knows precisely when they are due. The timing of this Shippo payment was a surprise to me and, given it's the first, I think others will find themselves unpleasantly surprised too.
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
"Or are you suggesting that you prefer that eBay immediately bill you for Final Value and other fees as they occur, rather than have one monthly invoice to pay?"

I know you're being facetious but I actually would prefer eBay bill me for its fees as they are due -- like PayPal does for services rendered -- than once per month in a large sum.

Yes are partly correct about the first. The point being that this is not an outdated practice.

PayPal charges the transactions immediately because they get the transaction money service fees into their pocket. It's in their best interest,

Since PayPal charges a minimum of 30 cents plus percentage per transaction -- it's no surprise Shippo wants to have fewer transactions for best value. That 30 cents base is 4.25% of the cost of the cheapest label (Small Packet USA 0-250g). If Shippo charges as they go that will eventually mean either an increase in fees or a smaller discount on postage.

What Shippo should do if it wants to continue grouping purchases together on one invoice is (at a minimum) email the invoice amount and date the invoice will be charged to the seller.

They should also make easy to see what is currently owed.

As for eBay (and spreading out the monthly impact) ...

One time.jpg

-..-

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

I do happen to pay my fees as I go too, but at least they are clearly marked as to what they are and I can easily see a rundown of each one. I want to be able to look at my PayPal balance and know that's my balance, not have to dig out my pad and paper and start taking notes and do more math every time I do business. Ease of use!!!!!!! This is just one more unnecessary added layer and burden I don't need that was jammed down my throat as usual. Oh and BTW, I changed my password because of just the confusion that mjwl2006 and I have described, I was uncertain if my account had been hacked. This wonderful new "Shippo" service was launched with very little fanfare or information offered and with little to no user level input so far as I can see. It's cumbersome and frankly I could do without it altogether. This reminds me of eBay's decision to remove a seller's ability to leave negative feedback against buyers, before I had almost no deadbeat buyers, now I have at least one or two every month without fail. That too was done with no consultation, if there were any other viable alternative with the reach of eBay then just as now, I'd close my account in a heartbeat!!!!!!!

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Yup, the lack of address information is cumbersome too, hate it.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Another annoying thing, there appears to be no way I can find to close one's "Shippo" account. In my response on my original complaint I asked if there's any way they can remove all my information permanently from their database. I don't expect there is, just trying to make a point. I will not ever use the service period forever and ever amen!

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Hooray!!!! If you go into the Billing Details on PayPal's site, you can remove authorization for "Shippo" to access your account. Point made!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am now going to post this information in a separate thread, hopefully it will start a trend.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

"What Shippo should do if it wants to continue grouping purchases together on one invoice is (at a minimum) email the invoice amount and date the invoice will be charged to the seller.

They should also make easy to see what is currently owed."

Yes. I can't think of any other way it would become acceptable to sellers here. We are in complete agreement there. If Shippo would prefer for us to run a tab, I should think it best we know when the tab is due and what amount to pay.
Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@northstar_collectables wrote:

Another annoying thing, there appears to be no way I can find to close one's "Shippo" account. In my response on my original complaint I asked if there's any way they can remove all my information permanently from their database. I don't expect there is, just trying to make a point. I will not ever use the service period forever and ever amen!

Hi northstar_collectables.

Sorry to hear you are so unhappy with the experience on the Shippo platform. If you contact Shippo's customer support, I'm sure they will be able to help you out. Their support email address is ebay-ca-support@goshippo.com,

Before you do that, you may wish to consider that eBay's rates on Shippo are the lowest you will find anywhere, with the temporary exception of domestic Expedited Parcel, which is cheaper on PayPal and snapship until July 31st. After that promotion ends, the eBay discounts which stack on top of the CPC Solution for Small Discounts framework will make Shippo the cheapest place for Solutions for Small Business Customers to buy Canada Post labels. It already is the cheapest place to buy labels for all US and International Canada Post services. 

The team at Shippo has been watching and listening closely to community feedback, and have already made some significant tweaks to their platform for us. The experience will continue to evolve and improve. 

But if you prefer to pay more for your shipping on other platforms, that's perfectly fine. So long as you keep selling on eBay, we are happy if you sell and ship your items, no matter which carrier you use or which platform you use to buy labels.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mjwl2006 wrote:
"What Shippo should do if it wants to continue grouping purchases together on one invoice is (at a minimum) email the invoice amount and date the invoice will be charged to the seller.

They should also make easy to see what is currently owed."

Yes. I can't think of any other way it would become acceptable to sellers here. We are in complete agreement there. If Shippo would prefer for us to run a tab, I should think it best we know when the tab is due and what amount to pay.

Based on user feedback, Shippo is exploring a solution that would charge all labels to your PayPal account within one hour of printing. We hope to see that roll out soon (TBD). They are also looking at ways to move to real-time charges. 

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Shippo isnt the cheapest one .And its hard to work with them .They have a lot of issues one of them is communication.After come there way of billing the customers.Its true that if you put 2 days in there website you could make it but in 21 century without call center i rather pay a bit more but have happy customers.
Message 17 of 19
latest reply

Yes, I don't recall reading about such fees, but I just received an invoice for over $20 for shipping 3 items! I dislike this shipping option. Every time I print a label  for Canada I have a hard time at the post office since it is never in their "system". 

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

@alavenir wrote:

Yes, I don't recall reading about such fees, but I just received an invoice for over $20 for shipping 3 items! I dislike this shipping option. Every time I print a label  for Canada I have a hard time at the post office since it is never in their "system". 

It's not a 'subscription' but rather a 'pre-authorized billing' for your postage labels. 

Message 19 of 19
latest reply