Welcome to the 2024 Winter Seller Update Board

Hello and welcome to the discussion board for the 2024 Winter Seller Update. If you are visiting the Community Forums for the first time please take a moment to review our Community Guidelines, and consider checking out other boards like Seller Central  or Buyer Central  to meet and connect with fellow Sellers.

This board is exclusively for questions regarding the announced changes (you can read more about them here). You won’t be able to start new conversations on this page, but you are able to leave questions in the thread

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Which categories are final value fees "changing" aka increasing.  and what are they increasing too

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@joels-retrocade wrote:

Which categories are final value fees "changing" aka increasing.  and what are they increasing too

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1708532433399.png

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Lotz already gave you the info but here is a link to the information.

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/resources/seller-updates/2024-winter/financials#fees

The fvf fee increases bring us up to what they have been charging sellers on .com for a while.  

They are also raising the per order fee to .40 if the order is more than $10.  For orders $10 or less, the fee stays at .30.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Thanks, the link was broken when I tried to see for myself.  Looks like its working  now.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

What is this elusive "Media" category? There is no mention of such a beast anywhere on eBay.
Shop by Category | eBay

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I'd love to hear the rationale for the increase in the FVF for media.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

I'd love to hear the rationale for the increase in the FVF for media.

@flipistics 

It looks like to bring it in line with US FVF's (14.95% US)----(14.95% CAD). So like a penalty for the Canadian exchange rate. Not like we don't  get penalized as it is for Canadian shipping on heavy or premium sevices. You would think that would be almost a wash?

-Lotz

US sellers got the same 10 cent ding for FVF fees on sales over 10.00. Probably not a good idea to bring up the numerous features Canadian sellers have access to compared to the US when it comes to fairness?

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Every listing, every picture uploaded, and every interaction incurs "ENERGY" costs for eBay, and the bottom line, is that energy costs worldwide are increasing as are labor costs, that is one reason why the fees are going up...

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

I believe that media are books, movies and music.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Considering the US has had a higher fvf in media for  years, I don't say how you think we are now being penalized. 

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:

Every listing, every picture uploaded, and every interaction incurs "ENERGY" costs for eBay, and the bottom line, is that energy costs worldwide are increasing as are labor costs, that is one reason why the fees are going up...

I get the order fee, but why just media and cards on the fee percentage increase? There has to be something specific to those categories that resulted in them being singled out. That's the part I'm curious about. Also, in theory listing prices should be going up with inflation and shouldn't require a percentage increase in fees (all things being equal). 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Whilst all you sellers pick apart & digest how any of this update shall affect you going forward; I shall carry on with locally disposing of many of the items I collected over the past 6 decades as eBay is no longer a viable avenue for any of the categories in which I list...

Simply put: I don't need eBay...

I will keep my other selling site for any selling needs...

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

@brettjet38 wrote:

I get the order fee, but why just media and cards on the fee percentage increase? There has to be something specific to those categories that resulted in them being singled out. That's the part I'm curious about. Also, in theory listing prices should be going up with inflation and shouldn't require a percentage increase in fees (all things being equal). 

@flipistics 

Re: Explanation of what constitutes and "Order"

How are final value fees, including the per-order fee calculated?

We charge one final value fee when your item sells, and you don't have to worry about third-party payment processing fees. This fee is calculated as a percentage of the total amount of the sale, plus a per-order fee of $0.40 for orders totaling over $10, or $0.30 for orders $10 and under.

The total amount of the sale includes the item price, any handling charges, any shipping costs collected from the buyer (some exceptions apply), sales tax, and any other applicable fees.

In reviewing some recent smaller transactions this is what I am seeing. 

a) Item sold for                             4.99

shipping                             4.25

tax                                  1.20

Based on total                        10.44

FVF -  per order fixed amount .30

b) Item sold for 1.99 x 5 =          9.95  (1.99)

shipping =              3.75  (0.75)

tax =                       0.36  (.36) 

Based on total =           3.10

FVF - per order fixed amount    .30

Because total for 30 cent charge is based on sold price/shipping and tax (and/or handling) under 10.00 there will be very view items that will qualify when this change kicks in. Going forward just call it .40 for sake of argument with impending letter postage increase unless as a seller you plan to eat the increase. (Based on approx. 200 transactions last year, I had 4 that would have qualifed.)

-Lotz

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Simple business marketing tells you to increase the fees on the hot items and reduce the fees on the slow items to take advantage of what's already selling and try to encourage more sales in the slower categories. It's a stupid angle to push supply from though, they're the third party. You can't force people to sell when customers don't want to buy. It's nonsensical.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

@davismavis017 wrote:

Simple business marketing tells you to increase the fees on the hot items and reduce the fees on the slow items to take advantage of what's already selling and try to encourage more sales in the slower categories. It's a stupid angle to push supply from though, they're the third party. You can't force people to sell when customers don't want to buy. It's nonsensical.

I don't think media is considered a hot category.  It's likely the opposite. The ratio of listings to sales is probably pretty bad in both media and sports cards resulting in higher operational costs for eBay in those categories. Maybe that's why. It just seemed weird to me given that profit margins for sellers are pretty low for a lot of stuff in those categories already.

I know my general store has about 3 times the turnover rate compared to my media store (which is mostly cd's and movies).

Message 16 of 16
latest reply