2014 Spring Seller Updates

Hi everyone,

Please use this thread to discuss any of the topics announced in the Spring Seller Updates.

Thanks, 

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

While we are at it here is one more thing to contemplate. I also noticed that in the spring release Ebay is continuing to promote  the Paypal shipping program (buying postage through Paypal). This option only works for larger parcels since the smallest label you can print is 1/2 of a 8x10 sheet (actually a full sheet that needs to be cut in half). It's useless for anyone shipping envelope sized shipments. It also makes the cost of labelling more expensive (unless you want to use plain paper and scotch tape).

Message 21 of 45
latest reply

Not true. You can resize your PayPal labels using your printer settings. When I print a label, a printer dialog box comes up and I go into my printer settings and can change the size of the printer page. I can reduce the size by percentage. So I can change the size to about 85% of full size to get a nice size to fit a smaller package. I did this recently for an expedited parcel package within Canada and it was scanned perfectly all the way with delivery confirmation received. I find anything under 80 makes the label address too small to read.

If you cannot figure out how to reduce printing using a percentage option, the a quick trick is to change the page from portrait to landscape mode. The page height is reduced from 11 inches to 8 1/2 inches and shrinks the label by the same ratio. This works out to 77% reduction which is small to read in my opinion but others have posted they have done this trick.
Message 22 of 45
latest reply

Doing that is still not small enough for a normal size envelope (which is what I ship). Secondly, it doesn't solve the label cost problem. Full page labels are expensive. Also, spending time cutting labels )or paper) with a pair of scissors to fit is just not a productive use of time.

Message 23 of 45
latest reply

When I last printed an Expedited parcel label for delivery within Canada a couple of months ago, I printed sample labels on the PayPal/Canada Post label printing page repeatedly from 100% full size to 50% full size in decrement of 5%.  I kept those paper test label pages and trimmed down the excess white space to have a neatly trimmed label. So I have a set of 11 sample labels from 50% to 100% full size.

Using those test labels, I found that the 85% is just slightly too big to fit on a regular business #10 envelope (4 1/8 x 9 1/2 inch) and 80% is a little small. So I would guess an 83% label would be about right.

So one solution is to print at 83% on regular paper, trim all around, use a glue stick on the back of the small label and place on the regular envelope.

Simple, cheap, takes a extra minute or two per label to do with the trimming and glue stick. No need for expensive full sheet adhesive labels. Trade off of time versus paying for adhesive labels.

To save on paper, use scrap paper.  I use scrap paper all the time for printing on the clear backside for things I need temporarily. Many time the printed side is 1/4 to 3/4 empty so printing the labels above would be on clear paper on both sides if you put the paper in right.

Here is a photo of the label and envelope.

Message 24 of 45
latest reply

For you and for anyone reading this little set of posts on reducing a PayPal label size.

If the posts above do not help you, they may help someone else. I do not mean to bother you with my replies but just to complete the posts with some possible solutions. I went through several experiments and testing on reducing PayPal label size. As well as testing different ways to put a paper label on a package.

Here are some other notes on the posts above.

I found that the best way to trim paper is a simple Fiskars paper trimmer. Fast, easy to use, simple, straight edges. Better than scissors for trimming labels down to size.

As for glue sticks, only buy a brand name like Lepage which are pasty and dry fast and have a tight bond. The dollar store glue stick are greasy, take forever to dry and wrinkly simple paper to paper like above. I also found Staples glue stick to be slow to dry and not as dry as tight a paper to paper bond as Lepage.

Of course, any liquid glue (white school glue, clear liquid glue sticks) are slow o dry and are too wet making paper wrinkle.

Message 25 of 45
latest reply

poco - did you test using a labelope?  They are just 1/8" wider than a #10 envelope, and the top area can be folded over the back of the envelope, giving more security to the seal - no glue, a lot faster, and free.  I only needed 2 attempts to figure out how to get the labelope on smoothly, and the bit of extra width folds over and adheres well.  The barcode can be scanned through them.

Please continue your helpful posts - I find them very informative, and you have provided many fine solutions to eBay/PayPal problems.  You are a wonderful resource, especially for those of us who have limited computer skills - thank you!! 

Message 26 of 45
latest reply

No I did not try a #10 with a labelope. I have a labelope out and an empty #10 and it will work as you said with the  extra strength folded over. Neat.

Do you still reduce the label size and trim the label white space?

Message 27 of 45
latest reply

If this is a "spring" update, why is it taking effect in august... august isn't spring...its near the end of summer. Oh that's right... so you can still shaft sellers until then with holding their funds and so forth because of low rating DSR percentages...

Message 28 of 45
latest reply

poco - sorry for the delay in replying.  I don't reduce the label size, just trim as needed.   Even when sending a parcel with the Tracked or Small Packet, now that those labels are an odd shape, I don't trim the blank white space to the right, so that the label cannot shift around inside the labelope.   I add the "send to" address again in that blank space, highlighted, because I've had a few of my own shipped items delivered to me when a postal clerk got the TO and FROM mixed up.

Message 29 of 45
latest reply

THIS IS DEFECTIVE......

As a Canadian seller that deals strictly in Trading Cards, The ability of sending non tracked packages such as light packet USA & Light packet international plays a crucial role in my business. 

I have had 2 cases within a year of an item not arriving "lost"..ok big deal, I refund and eat it. The buyer is satisfied. Done deal....but not anymore...not only did i lose my product...i also lost money...oh and now i can lose my top rated seller status? ?

Is that not what a top rated seller should do?? Take responsibility pay the price bite the bullet and carry on! Now there is a penalty for this? 

I would LOVE to add tracking to all my items shipped...but who wants to buy a 2.00 trading card and pay a MINIMUM of $16 to ship it to the US?? Heck who wants to buy a $20.00 item and pay **bleep** near the same price to ship it? Nevermind International costs!

Cant print a tracked packet label anyways for a #00 bubble mailer.

Then there is the issue of whether or not the BUYER is ACTUALLY HONEST!!! Come on now EBAY...Are you actually aware of how many buyers out there are just little scamming punks? And these people have the power to Strip US of OUR HARD EARNED Seller statuses?  GIVE ME A BREAK!!

I had a buyer open a case for an item not received As soon as they could open it....heck the item could have arrived the next day!! There was not enough time to even let it get through customs..but who pays the price..I THE SELLER.

This defect **bleep** should have NOTHING to do with Shipping time, Lost Packages or Inconsiderate Buyers.

AND STILL....You cant leave negative feedback for a buyer? ? Why? Because buyers have some kind of friggin immunity?

And they are the ultimate decision makers with the power to completely collapse someones very hard earned seller status by clicking some stars? 

I had a buyer purchase something only to get a positive feedback from me so they could sell again on ebay..  yeah i know my fault as i did not set the buyer requirement for people with a feedback score lower than -1. But this buyer basically tries to extort me for feedback....and can i leave negative for them ...NO Just report them and hope the 90 million other users can read my mind.

The point is there is NO WAY I can sell the items i do with tracking on everything...i would go broke paying insertion fees and everyone would just pass on by the listing while saying " $20 for shipping? Hes outta his mind!"   There REALLY NEEDS To be some kind of way around lost items...even though i have only had a couple out of the multiple hundreds sold...It can still seriously affect seller status. it should be MANDATORY  for buyers to contact sellers PRIOR to opening a case. There should be a button that the seller can click when they receive a case notification ""Did this buyer contact you before opening this case""" y/n

I was just reading about opening a Store here on Ebay..when I got word of these new seller standards.

I was rather excited about this new opportunity and experience......Now NOT SO MUCH.

On top of Crazy final value fees...not to mention Final fees on shipping....make me pay even more on shipping?!?! seriously?

Plus store subscription... and Now how easy everything can be taken away>>>Is it really worth it?

All of this combined is really Driving me away from the idea.....

It's not very nice when you have some one in your back pocket, and now my seller status is left in the hands of the good old reliable services of Canada Post.

Message 30 of 45
latest reply

Oh yeah i forgot to add: Lets make a discussion for everyone to share their opinions..but in the end we (Ebay) will say...we considered all of your thoughts and input..but we really dont care...and will go ahead with this anyways."

As the leader in e commerce...you would not be WITHOUT US THE SELLERS.....

A Reply would be nice...and not a textbook response either
Message 31 of 45
latest reply

I am just about to say "To hell with eBay" and just quit selling all together.  I am currently Top-Rated Platinum Seller, but under new rating I would be Below-Standard.  As a seller, I have to kiss a lot of A's just because of the DSR's, now eBay is trying to squeeze away the %20 discount?.  Why does eBay treat sellers like second-class citizen's?, I don't know but I am really fed up with the direction they are taking. 

Message 32 of 45
latest reply

Second class is modestly put. an understatement. We are treated like sh**. I have been fighting to allow variation listings for the trading card category. I call customer service...and the best answer i get is "i dont understand what you are talking about" I write multiple e-mails..nothing.... Are there ANY employees that can give me the right contacts? NO. Now JUST TODAY I go on ebay and BAM! There is an open case for an item not received...again! it also had tracking on it! But canada post can not resolve it in time before the buyer can escalate it to ebay. So what is my only option? Give them a refund..which was done right away...and guess what...I get a defect rating against me....i swear to god, if i lose my top rated seller status that i've worked so hard for....communicating with EVERY buyer that purchases from me...giving the greatest customer support ever....and devoting my time to provide the best experience possible...I'll surely quit this **bleep**....and i truly enjoy doing what i do, it is a passion of mine......But if this is an example of the way things are going to be....i'm with ya luxorden on this one....To hell with ebay
Message 33 of 45
latest reply

I have noticed several problems with the new defect system.

The first problem is that it puts me below standard because of fraudulent item not received complaints opened by buyers before the earliest possible delivery date, AND in every case, the subject item was delivered on schedule!

In these cases, I have sold an item (I'm in Canada), to a buyer in China.  Pursuant to Ebay's rules, I have offered two mail options (canadapost), which are tracked online.   Those are Canadapost surface mail, and Canadapost xpresspost.     The buyer thus has a choice of which to select.     The buyer's are clearly advised of the Canadapost guide delivery time for each method (6-12 weeks for surface mail to China) and 1-2 weeks for xpresspost.

We are also very clear in our ebay listings about delivery time.   We state the following in each listing.

"If you are outside of North America, please keep in mind that airmail takes 1-3 weeks, and surface mail takes 6-12 weeks.   If you select and pay for surface mail, and you are outside of North America, please do not expect it to arrive in airmail time.   Surface mail, means by land and sea, and it takes a long time!  If you want it to arrive in 1-3 weeks, then select and pay for airmail, not surface mail. "

In each case, the buyer selected and paid for surface mail.   We entered the tracking info into Payal asap, which in turn populates Ebay.   All items are shipped within our 2 day handling period (usually same day)   Then usually 3-5 weeks later, the buyer opens a fraudulent item not received complaint.     In every single case, the item was delivered on schedule.   This has happened 16 times according to my defect rate - and is enough to make me Below Standard!

Please tell me how following Ebay's rules to the letter, shipping within my stated handling time, and shipping using an online tracked method selected by the buyer, and in every case having that item arrive within the scheduled delivery period, can be a defect on my part - let alone make me below standard!

NEXT

My seller dashboard claims I have a defect because of a transaction cancelled because the item was out of stock or sold to someone else!     We have only ever cancelled a transaction because the buyer asked us to do so, or because (in one case) the Chinese buyer claimed (3 weeks after delivery) the item was broken - in that case we gave the buyer a full refund rather than get the implied negative feedback, and then after doing the refund, asked the seller to cancel the transaction.     It is unfair for ebay to count defects that do not exist.

NEXT

Tracking uploaded.    We only ship by tracked mail, and we upload the tracking number into Paypal as soon as we have it.   Paypal then populates ebay (we check)   The seller dashboard confirms we have 100% tracking uploading within the handling period.     But get this, Ebay claims that only 94.52% of these tracking numbers are validated by the courier.      Since every item is recorded as being delivered by the tracking information (Canadapost), why is ebay claiming that some of these tracking numbers are not validated by the courier.    I have a second ebay site with the same problem.    Clearly there is a defect, but its in the ebay's computer software that is being used to determine courier validation.   

NEXT

I have two cases that were opened by buyers for items not as described.    One was an honest mistake by the buyer.    The buyer apologized (via Ebay message system) and immediately cancelled their case.     How is this a defect on my part?

The other case was a partial refund extortion of $200.    We paid it to avoid getting negative feedback.    This is a defect, but in the ebay feedback system, it can not be said to be a defect on my part.

As a result, both of these cases were closed by the buyer, and never escalated.    

LASTLY

I phoned ebay about the above as soon as the projected new seller dash board ratings came out.      The ebay customer service person agreed with me on the above issues, and advised they would get back to me by email - then never did!

Message 34 of 45
latest reply

First of all....They will NEVER get back to you.

I am a Canadian seller as well.... I was not able to join in on the weekly board hour this week, but one concerned canadian Did ask about the Item not received defect issue.

Check it out in the weekly board hour discussion from this past wednesday. Ebays response is the Stupidest thing i've ever heard.
Basically stating to bad deal with it. A lost package is a problem for the buyer and makes a bad buying experience with the seller. .........WAIT...WHAT?? What about the Friggin SELLER?? The Buyer Gets his/her Money back!!...The Seller Loses the Money AND the item!!!

This is just out of control...

It doesnt matter once a case is open..your screwed no matter what the outcome. Even if there is a case open and you refund the buyer directly through paypal..it still counts as a defect on ebay.

I dont understand why they have to keep changing stuff...for what? Because it CERTAINLY does NOT make anything easier.

Before anyone decides to start selling on ebay now, there should be a disclaimer:

Welcome to ebay...start selling now!
some restrictions may apply....be prepared to bend over....you talk..we dont listen....we dont care...hey you made 50 bucks..now we want half of that.....oops it didnt get delivered? thats your fault...we dont care, heres a defect...no more discount..pay us more...lets have a weekly board hour we want to hear your problems....then in the end..we dont care! Enjoy selling on ebay.. the worlds biggest e commerce company! The name says it all!
Executive
Big Shots
After
Your money
Message 35 of 45
latest reply

I just telephoned ebay for the fourth time on this issue.    I got the normal automatic reply............followed with "all our representatives are currently busy, the estimated wait time is 59 minutes".     Last time it was 117 minutes!     I think that's ebay's way of saying "we are not going to answer your call today!)

It was bad enough when ebay started using the Asian Call Centers, staffed with people who have no idea what you are talking about, and no authority to do anything about it.       It really is rubbing salt in the wounds when ebay makes you wait an hour, just to get access to a useless Asian Call Center!

There was one other reason I was calling ebay (again for the second time, after I was told it would be fixed by now) - on the latest evaluation (April 20/14) I dropped from Top Rated to Above Standard in the US (a Canadapost shipping cost low DSR from a malicious buyer).    Ebay's policy is to have a 2 month grace period for those who find themselves in this situation, to regain Top Rated Status - although the Ebay customer service rep (Asian call Center) agreed with me, and promised to have the situation corrected by now - it has not been corrected, and the grace period has not been triggered in my case.

Message 36 of 45
latest reply

The grace period doesn't apply for low DSR's.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/top-rated.html#grace-period

Grace period

If you fall below the sales and tracking requirements for Top Rated Seller status, you may qualify for the Top Rated Seller grace period. During the Top Rated Seller grace period you retain your Top Rated Seller status and benefits. You have 2 evaluation cycles to get your transaction count, sales amount, or tracking requirements back to minimum program requirements.

You're eligible for the grace period if you fall below Top Rated Seller standards due to any of the following:

• You have fewer than 100 transactions with US buyers over the most recent 12-month period.

• You have less than $1,000 in sales with US buyers over the most recent 12-month period.

• You've uploaded shipment tracking within your promised handling time for less than 90% (but not less than 85%) of transactions with US buyers in the last 3 months.

You're only eligible for the Top Rated Seller grace period when:

• You've been a Top Rated Seller for the last 3 (or more) consecutive months immediately preceding evaluation; and

• You meet all of the performance standards of the program for:

• Low detailed seller ratings

• Cases

• Positive Feedback ratings

Message 37 of 45
latest reply

Thank you for your reply, it makes sense now.

Unfortunately I had two ebay Customer service people tell the something else, which is what I was using as correct information.

The first was a US customer  service rep who I spoke to about what would happen if I got 1 more DSR low score (for canadapost shipping cost).    I was at 2, and fearful of getting a 3rd.      I get these from feedback blackmailers.     I was told I would go into the grace period and have 2 months to get my sales up to the point that the percentage would decline back to top rated status.

The second was an asian call center rep after I got that 3rd low dsr, who assured me I should qualify for the grace period.

Seems both of them had no idea what they were talking about.

I was also told that a new top rated rating system was coming in August, which would remove the unfair DSR rating for shipping cost - which sounded wonderful at that time.     Of course, once the new rating system was revealed, with its inclusion of defects which no reasonable person would call a defect (fraudulent or mistaken claims opened against sellers, and found in favor of the seller), the new system is even worse than the first.

It makes you wonder what ebay is trying to achieve with these perverted rating systems.    

Good sellers with 100% positive feedback, and a quarter million in sales per year, should not be classified as Below Standard!

I suppose it comes down to ..........those who can, sell on ebay, and those who cant, work for ebay.

It takes a really incompetent mind to fail to rate sellers by the good things sellers do, but rather rate them for the bad things other people do to them!

So sellers get penalized financially, and with reduced exposure, for the bad things that bad sellers do to them.     At the same time, bad sellers no longer get removed from ebay for failing to pay for three items - seems they have an unlimited number of non paying bidder strikes presently.    Ebay protects bad sellers from getting negative or neutral feedback.  From an outsiders perspective, it looks like bad sellers have taken over the ebay administration.

Message 38 of 45
latest reply

To show just how perverted the Ebay seller rating system is, consider the following.

I have another ebay account (I'm not allowed to give the name unfortunately), which I stopped using in mid June 2013 (10 1/2 months ago).    I did so because a feedback extortionist left me two extremely damaging negative feedbacks claiming everything I sell is fake.    This crooked buyer left me this feedback after he won an item on an unreserved auction.     He paid for it, and he received it.    Sometime after he received it, he wrote to me telling me he was a reseller, and he had now decided he would make less profit reselling this item than he had thought we he bought it, so he would not like to return it.     I told him that was not grounds to return the item, so he left me malicious/damaging feedback on that item, and a second one he'd bought at the same time.    In so doing he destroyed that ebay account.

So today, 10 1/2 months after not using that account for anything (no listings, no purchases, nothing), I received an email from Ebay, stating "congratulations, you just became a Top Rated Seller in the Global Program."

Prior to writing this reply, I logged into that account (for the first time in months), and confirmed no one else has been using it, and everything is just as I stated above.    Further more, it seems that account was automatically raised to Global Top Rated Seller on April 20/14 (but an email notice was not sent to me until today, April 28/14).     

The data proves that if you use your account, and get 100% positive feedback, and do hundreds of transactions, worth a quarter million plus per year, and pay $2000 plus a month in fees to ebay, and something similar to Paypal, then Ebay will use undisclosed DSR ratings to remove you from being a top rated seller and stop you from getting a 20% discount.      BUT if you don't use your account, and do no transactions, and pay no fees, then you get elevated to Top Rated.     If that isn't proof that the ebay seller rating system is corrupt, I don' t know what is.

It makes sense now that ebay will not tell you who left you a low DSR rating - every time I think I've narrowed it down, and I ask that buyer if they left a low DSR rating, they always say no.    One wonders how many of these DSR ratings are actually fakes inserted by ebay, to prevent ebay from having to pay the 20% refund.

Before you think I'm crazy, consider the following evidence.

Some months ago, I was being asked some questions about selling by a new ebay member.     That new member told me that he/she had not done any transactions in the prior 3-4 month period, but had received an email from ebay stating that in the last 3 months, ebay had removed 1 negative feedback.    He/she joked about it at the time, as clearly it was impossible for ebay to remove a feedback, when there was no feedback or transaction on which to leave feedback.    I didn't give that statement much weight at the time, but remembered it nonetheless.

Now that I've had an unused account suddenly become top rated globally, I think back to that ebay email about having removed a negative feedback that didn't exist.

I now seriously question the authenticity of all the 1-2 DSR ratings ebay records on my 100% positive feedback account.   I watch my DSR score daily.    The last time it jumped up by 1, I received a single feedback over the prior 2 days.     I thought for sure that feedback must be responsible for the DSR, so I wrote to the buyer and asked why I'd received a 1 or 2 DSR rating for shipping cost.   That buyer told me he did no such thing, and had in fact left me a 4 DSR rating for shipping cost, not the 1 or 2 which had been added to my DSR total by ebay.

Message 39 of 45
latest reply

Hi Kenna,
I agree with you regarding buyers should be "required to contact seller...". I spent 3 hours on the phone today with eBay regarding this very issue. Here is a copy & paste of eBay's own information; "eBay has always encouraged buyers to contact sellers to resolve any issue with their purchase. Starting in February 2013, before opening a Buyer Protection case, buyers will be required to contact you first through Messages in My eBay specifying ‘item not received' or ‘item not as described'. This will ensure you have the opportunity to serve your customers before eBay gets involved." (http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/sellerprotection/faircaseresolution.html) Guess what? Two customer service reps told me buyers are NOT required to get in touch with seller before opening a case. eBay does not follow their own policies. So very frustrating.
Message 40 of 45
latest reply