2018 Seller Update Feedback Thread

Hi all,

As you’ve probably seen by now, the 2018 Spring Seller Update was released today. We’re sorry for the delay—we prefer to launch our pages as soon after the US pages as possible, but technical issues prevented us from launching the pages earlier.

Please use this thread for feedback and questions about this latest release. I have a good familiarity with the content (having diligently and painstakingly pecked the pages out with my beak), and should be able to either address any questions or clarifications as needed, or pass them on to the right person.

As always, feedback is welcome. I may not address your feedback directly, but I’ll be collecting the most salient points to pass along to the Seller Release team at large.

For my own purposes, I’d also love to hear back about how you find the structure of the update, from a Canadian perspective. Is it simple or challenging to differentiate between what’s available to Canada and what’s available to the US? Is the language plain and easily understandable? Is the information simple to navigate and digest? This type of feedback helps me make future Seller Updates better.

Here’s some supplemental reading to go with your morning coffee, for those interested. Some of it is linked from the Seller Update, but in case you missed it:

• Structured Data: The types of structured data, how to use it, and how it interfaces with the eBay catalogue.
  • eBay catalogue: What the eBay catalogue is, when to use it, and detailed instructions on how to use it.
  • eBay Seller Protection Policy: A simplified view of how sellers are protected when they choose to offer free returns.

Sincerely,

Pigeon

Message 1 of 140
latest reply
139 REPLIES 139

Re: 2018 Seller Update Feedback Thread

New Grouped search results https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=disney+cars+frank&_prodsch=1&_dmd=1

Old results:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=disney+cars+frank

One of mine which is nowhere to be found under new Grouped Listings: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Disney-PIXAR-Cars-FRANK-the-COMBINE-diecast-RADIATOR-SPRINGS-Theme-11-14-DE...

Where it should be but isn't.... Actually. None of these entires are correct, not even one. Some are loose, some are used, some are 'tributes' and not authorized copies, some are not 1:55 diecast by Mattel and might be Frank but playlets or bath toys. The closest ebay comes to getting the Item Specifics for this model correct is the one that collected a bunch of random items with the wrong headline associated. That's https://www.ebay.com/p/Disney-Pixar-Cars-D23-2011-Submarine-Finn-Ransburg-Top-Secret/2254433848?iid=....

In short, these Groupings are a Hot Mess and I'm still being left off from all of them. If I don't match any shouldn't I be left as one on my own at least?

Mine is Disney Cars brand, made by Mattel in 1:55 scale diecast which is New in package. These are the things people who are shopping for this item need to know. 

The product/groupings are flawed. Mine is correct. And still I don't rank anywhere in the universe of ebay.com for this item. 

Message 61 of 140
latest reply

@around_again_records wrote:

I would like clarification of the new duration defaults shown below specifically Fixed price listings defaulting to Good Til Cancelled.

Duration: Auction-style listings will now default to 7 days, and fixed price listings to Good 'Til Cancelled, with no added fees.

What exactly does this mean when applied to current listings, future new listings and items that I might relist (will I have to go back and change them all to 30 days, will I even be allowed to change them to 30 days or do I have to cancel them and relist?)

What I would like to know for absolutely sure is whether all my current listings at the time of the change are going to default to Good Til Cancelled?

Will I still have the 30 day choice?

When I do a bulk relist, are they all going to default to Good Til Cancelled, and I have to go through and check and change each one?

When I make new listings, will I still have the same options as before, and will be able to select 30 Days?

The reason I am concerned is of course because if listings are changed to Good Til Cancelled, without me knowing it could end up costing a LOT in extra fees.

These detail pertain to a specific listing form only, not all forms of listing. So it would not be the one you see if you're relisting or working with an existing item--you would only see it if you list a completely new item from scratch, and only then if you are a very casual seller. Higher volume sellers will not be presented with this listing form.

In addition, we would not be able, legally speaking, to suddenly force sellers, without proper notice, to use additional features that carry a cost. So, the features and functions that carry a cost that are "defaulted" in this specific listing form would also be possible to opt out of.

In short, this listing form is geared toward new and casual sellers who are largely unfamiliar with the selling process, and presenting them with the best combination of features to get their item to sell.

I hope that clarifies things a bit!

Message 62 of 140
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

New Grouped search results https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=disney+cars+frank&_prodsch=1&_dmd=1

Old results:

One of mine which is nowhere to be found under new Grouped Listings: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Disney-PIXAR-Cars-FRANK-the-COMBINE-diecast-RADIATOR-SPRINGS-Theme-11-14-DE...

Where it should be but isn't.... Actually. None of these entires are correct, not even one. Some are loose, some are used, some are 'tributes' and not authorized copies, some are not 1:55 diecast by Mattel and might be Frank but playlets or bath toys. The closest ebay comes to getting the Item Specifics for this model correct is the one that collected a bunch of random items with the wrong headline associated. That's https://www.ebay.com/p/Disney-Pixar-Cars-D23-2011-Submarine-Finn-Ransburg-Top-Secret/2254433848?iid=....

In short, these Groupings are a Hot Mess and I'm still being left off from all of them. If I don't match any shouldn't I be left as one on my own at least?

Mine is Disney Cars brand, made by Mattel in 1:55 scale diecast which is New in package. These are the things people who are shopping for this item need to know. 

The product/groupings are flawed. Mine is correct. And still I don't rank anywhere in the universe of ebay.com for this item. 

Thank you for the reply, very helpful. On the grouped search results, if you click the 'Ungroup similar listings' button in the upper right of the search results, can you see your listing then?

I am not 100% sure that this specific search experience is related to the product-based shopping experience, or another tactic the US is working on. As far as my understanding went, the category this item is listed in is not a target for product-based shopping in the near future. But I could be wrong, and please give me a few days to ask the Product Manager in charge of product-based shopping to clarify.

Message 63 of 140
latest reply

@happy_pigeonwrote:

@momcqueenwrote:

Old results:

Thank you for the reply, very helpful. On the grouped search results, if you click the 'Ungroup similar listings' button in the upper right of the search results, can you see your listing then?

I am not 100% sure that this specific search experience is related to the product-based shopping experience, or another tactic the US is working on. As far as my understanding went, the category this item is listed in is not a target for product-based shopping in the near future. But I could be wrong, and please give me a few days to ask the Product Manager in charge of product-based shopping to clarify.

Yes, if I click Ungroup Similar Listings, then my products for sale appear in the list of search results the way they always have. Mid-list as per Best Match because ebay.com can tell I'm in Canada and it comes from a Canadian seller.

If this isn't about Product-Bases Search results, I don't know what else it could be. I'm very concerned. By default new-Grouped search, my items NO LONGER APPEAR FOR SALE in searches done and search results shown on ebay.com.

My sales total for February dropped off a cliff as soon as this started. I've sold like 40 per cent of what I should for the month and my 30-day numbers sit at 60 per cent of normal even considering a 'normal' might swing from 75 to 80 per cent to 120 per cent, I know my monthly average (outside the holidays) and this is not right.

This is not just for one item, it's for all of them. When search results are viewed by the new default Grouped, none of my items are showing on ebay.com. At least none that I have tested, and I have had time to test things because I'm certainly not dispatching orders! 

Message 64 of 140
latest reply

It is absolutely a concern. Prior to not allowing us to list on .ca in CDN funds I used to list the majority in USD. Since the change & now that I have a basic store I try to use most of my listings so list in both currencies both in fixed & auction. I for one would not be prepared to pay the price we currently pay for the store (or an increase which has kind of been suggested as a possibility) if we were only allowed 250 of each in CDN. This would be cutting our listings in half. I know I am certainly not the only seller who does this so am sure it is a concern to many many Canadian sellers.

Message 65 of 140
latest reply

@happy_pigeonwrote:

@katlover1952wrote:

Am I to understand from your comments that .ca stores will not get any free listings on .com?

@happy_pigeonwrote:

@katlover1952wrote:

Am I to understand from your comments that .ca stores will not get any free listings on .com?

I cannot confirm or deny this, because I truly don't know. Our Product Managers are still hammering out the details for the Canada-specific changes.

A couple of folks have asked this now, and I will be the one building the webpages for the product when it is ready, so I'll be sure that this is addressed in the materials as I see that it is a point of concern for many.

I should have mentioned in my earlier post that this is something we as sellers would want to know about ASAP and not have sprung on us. This would be a huge change for Canadian sellers and I for one am not sure I would continue selling on eBay if this were to happen. I am sure the powers that be know which direction they are going now and this is something I feel should be communicated sooner rather than later.

Message 66 of 140
latest reply

@happy_pigeonwrote:

@around_again_recordswrote:

I would like clarification of the new duration defaults shown below specifically Fixed price listings defaulting to Good Til Cancelled.

Duration: Auction-style listings will now default to 7 days, and fixed price listings to Good 'Til Cancelled, with no added fees.

What exactly does this mean when applied to current listings, future new listings and items that I might relist (will I have to go back and change them all to 30 days, will I even be allowed to change them to 30 days or do I have to cancel them and relist?)

What I would like to know for absolutely sure is whether all my current listings at the time of the change are going to default to Good Til Cancelled?

When I do a bulk relist, are they all going to default to Good Til Cancelled, and I have to go through and check and change each one?

When I make new listings, will I still have the same options as before, and will be able to select 30 Days?

The reason I am concerned is of course because if listings are changed to Good Til Cancelled, without me knowing it could end up costing a LOT in extra fees.

These detail pertain to a specific listing form only, not all forms of listing. So it would not be the one you see if you're relisting or working with an existing item--you would only see it if you list a completely new item from scratch, and only then if you are a very casual seller. Higher volume sellers will not be presented with this listing form.

OK, so I do not have to worry about existing listing or old listings that I plan to relist defaulting to Good Til Cancelled? Yes or No

I'm not sure how you define a casual seller (I consider myself a casual seller) so if in the future I do come across this new form, will I have the option to select 30 days? Yes or No

In addition, we would not be able, legally speaking, to suddenly force sellers, without proper notice, to use additional features that carry a cost. So, the features and functions that carry a cost that are "defaulted" in this specific listing form would also be possible to opt out of.

But it would not carry a cost unless I forgot to Cancel it so the onus would be on me. That is what concerns me. That the listing might get changed and if I don't check each one I could end up unknowingly relisting with Good Til Cancelled and not even know it until I saw my invoice.

In short, this listing form is geared toward new and casual sellers who are largely unfamiliar with the selling process, and presenting them with the best combination of features to get their item to sell.

A bit but as you can see not entirely. Sorry I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed today.

Message 67 of 140
latest reply

Just to clarify my understanding with everyone concerned about the upcoming Store tiers, for those who are current Store subscribers, are you currently able to use your allotments on both .ca and .com?

Again, I do not know the specific details of the upcoming tiers as they pertain to Canada, but it is highly, highly unlikely that (1) we would take an existing feature away from the current tiers with the introduction of the new ones, and (2) it is highly, highly unlikely the the two new tiers would have different "rules" for their allotments than the existing tiers have.

To clarify, there are two major changes planned for Stores, and these are the ONLY changes I am aware of:

1. Two new tiers will be introduced to eBay.ca later this year.

2. At the same time as the introduction of the new tiers, the REGULARLY SCHEDULED fee changes, which would have happened regardless of the introduction of the new tiers, will go into effect.

The ONLY REASON that Canada is not seeing a fee change for Stores at the same time as the US is because we didn't think it was fair to introduce them without also offering the benefit of the full range (which will include the two new tiers) of options.

Message 68 of 140
latest reply

@around_again_records wrote:

@happy_pigeonwrote:

@around_again_recordswrote:

OK, so I do not have to worry about existing listing or old listings that I plan to relist defaulting to Good Til Cancelled? Yes or No No. These are handled by a different listing flow, and are generally handled by My eBay/Seller Hub/Selling Manager/Pro.

I'm not sure how you define a casual seller (I consider myself a casual seller) so if in the future I do come across this new form, will I have the option to select 30 days? Yes or No Yes. You will have the option, as I understand it, to view an Advanced version of this listing flow (as is the case with many of our current listing flows) that will allow you to toggle all of the features.

But it would not carry a cost unless I forgot to Cancel it so the onus would be on me. That is what concerns me. That the listing might get changed and if I don't check each one I could end up unknowingly relisting with Good Til Cancelled and not even know it until I saw my invoice. I have not seen the new listing flow yet in person, but we won't be trying to trick anyone. It should be quite evident which features are enabled. 

A bit but as you can see not entirely. Sorry I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed today.

Me too wink

Message 69 of 140
latest reply

For me I lost my standings due to the 100 US transactions issue. Hovering/stuck at 93 for the past 4 months. According to dashboard those transactions total well over the $1000.00 US. Believe that would be a better criteria to meet and have to keep. Due to some of recent changes the bulk of my quantity of transactions are Global(International & Canada) US transaction are repeat customers. And the majority of my transactions do include tracking.
Message 70 of 140
latest reply

A question on an excerpt from the 2018 Spring Seller Update. This is what it says:
USA sellers will have to offer 30 Day FREE returns to qualify for TRS Plus and the discount (what is the Canadian Version of This?)
And they will offer these protections when you offer Free returns (does this apply to Canada?):

"We'll protect you
You can expect eBay to protect your reputation and standards and to monitor buyer behavior after the sale.

Protections from events outside your control include:
When you ship an item on time and provide tracking, and it arrives late.
If you're impacted by carrier disruptions or severe weather.
If your buyer retracts their bid or doesn't pay.
If a buyer changes their order or requests something extra.
From buyers that have an unusual rate of complaints or returns.
If the buyer returns an item after they opened it, used it, or sent it back in a condition other than the one you sent it in."

Does this mean that eBay WILL NOT protect you from those circumstances if you do not offer Free Returns?
Would the statements therefore become....
"We will NOT protect from events outside of your control...."

Or was this just an unfortunate placement of those protections and they really WILL protect us no matter if we offer Free Returns or not?

Message 71 of 140
latest reply

Since perceived loss of search standing on eBay.com is very understandably a huge concern for folks, while I am still planning to work with the product-based shopping experience Product Manager, I do want to point out that the US adjusts their search algorithm  very frequently, and for a variety of reasons. Loss of search ranking is not necessarily due to the product-based shopping experience. 

At the end of the day, .com is a US site designed with US buyers and sellers in mind, and we can't fault it for that. It is working as designed. It is not the eBay.com's initiative to surface all sellers equally; it's the site's initiative to surface the best results for a US buyer. At the end of the day, if all aspects of your item are competitive with the available assortment, it's going to surface. But as international sellers, it is sometimes very difficult to compete with US sellers if the buyer is located in the US.

These are truths that must be considered alongside many of the reasons a Canadian seller may choose to list on .com.

Message 72 of 140
latest reply

@mandicrafts wrote:

Does this mean that eBay WILL NOT protect you from those circumstances if you do not offer Free Returns?
Would the statements therefore become....
"We will NOT protect from events outside of your control...."

Or was this just an unfortunate placement of those protections and they really WILL protect us no matter if we offer Free Returns or not?

Canadian sellers who are unable to offer free shipping on all items should consider the Fair Performance Evaluation section of our seller performance standards:

"To measure your overall performance accurately, we look at your performance as a whole. We also consider a buyer's pattern for opening cases and leaving low detailed seller ratings—and protect you when necessary."

We will also continue to evaluate situations on a case-by-case basis. For example, during the fires in Fort McMurray, and around the time of the "almost" postal strike, we protected sellers from damage to their seller performance as a result of these events.

In short, if you're not able to meet the requirements to achieve the protections set out above, it is "business as usual". We will not be altering or taking away any of the protections or considerations already in place.

Message 73 of 140
latest reply

It's a point of concern for many because ebay has still not opened up a store between the premium and anchor setting like we have been hoping for.

Message 74 of 140
latest reply

@momcqueenwrote:
“I didn’t think that Canadian sellers needed to meet that (tracking requirement) requirement to be a US trs.”

I believe Canadian sellers do; it’s the one thing that’s held me back from making TRS for USA sales at certain points: 90 per cent tracking.

No, they don't. I just wrote a long post about it to happy pigeon and it disappeared  and I have to go out now so hopefully the thread will be open later on so I post again. I had US trs until October but lost it because of the number of US buyers...I never had to meet the uploaded tracking requirement. (which is now 95%...the 90% posted on the one help page is old.

Message 75 of 140
latest reply

@pjcdn2005wrote:

@momcqueenwrote:
“I didn’t think that Canadian sellers needed to meet that (tracking requirement) requirement to be a US trs.”

I believe Canadian sellers do; it’s the one thing that’s held me back from making TRS for USA sales at certain points: 90 per cent tracking.

No, they don't. I just wrote a long post about it to happy pigeon and it disappeared  and I have to go out now so hopefully the thread will be open later on so I post again. I had US trs until October but lost it because of the number of US buyers...I never had to meet the uploaded tracking requirement. (which is now 95%...the 90% posted on the one help page is old.

https://www.auctionnudge.com/guides/understanding-ebay-top-rated-seller-status-top-rated-plus-listin...

Message 76 of 140
latest reply

My Seller Dashboard says:

For this requirement, we look at your transactions during the past 3 months. To be a Top Rated Seller, 95.00% of your transactions must have tracking uploaded within your stated handling time, in addition to receiving a carrier scan.

Top Rated Sellers in Canada don't have to meet this requirement.

Does that mean TopRated sellers located in Canada selling to Canada?

Or does it mean Top Rated Sellers selling in Canada to the USA?

I'm looking at my USA totals.

I take it to mean that you can be a TRS in Canada without needing to hit that 95 per cent mark but that it was necessary to be at 95 per cent and higher to make TRS in the USA. At least, that's what was reflected on my Dashboard at one time; I had all the numbers in terms of quantity of number of sales (100) and total dollar amount ($1000 USD) but failed at tracking being at 90 per cent* or higher, therefore I was TRS in Canada but not TRS in USA. 

*Of course, the metrics may have changed since last I cared about TRS USA. 

Message 77 of 140
latest reply

@happy_pigeonwrote:

Just to clarify my understanding with everyone concerned about the upcoming Store tiers, for those who are current Store subscribers, are you currently able to use your allotments on both .ca and .com?

I have a Canadian store subscription and am able to use the included "free listings" on either .ca or .com. 

Message 78 of 140
latest reply

@hlmacdon wrote:

@happy_pigeonwrote:

I have a Canadian store subscription and am able to use the included "free listings" on either .ca or .com. 

Thank you. I am not aware of plans to have the new tiers work any differently, nor have I heard of any plans to remove this functionality from existing tiers when the new tiers are introduced.

Message 79 of 140
latest reply

@pjcdn2005wrote:

@hlmacdonwrote:
To clarify, if a Canadian seller lists on .com. what requirements do they need to meet to receive a fee discount?

———

The way that I understand it, if you have global trs status you  will still receive the discount regardless if you list on .com or .ca and whether or not you meet US trs requirements  Perhaps @happy_pigeon could confirm that.

But the only way to get the trs plus badge on listings on .com is  is you have US TRS and your listings meet the trs plus requirements such as free returns.

Correct, what I am trying to understand is if there are any changes with the "Canadian" version of the Spring Seller update which will effect this. We have always had our exemptions carved out on the basis of the US requirements typically being driven by cost metrics (ie tracking is not a burdensome cost with USPS/couriers, many items can be shipped and hence returned at a very low cost) which are an apples to oranges situation when compared to comparable costs in Canada. At the moment we more or less have full flexibility to use .ca or .com without any real downside so you can choose what works best for your business in terms of listed currencies, visibility, etc. 

Message 80 of 140
latest reply