Another glitch? Store "Category" frame gone MIA...

OK, I admit I didn't even notice this problem at first because it was so BIG and obvious.  

My "Categories" box -- usually running down the left side of every page in my store -- has completely vanished, on every page in my store except the home page, and for every one of my listings that I've checked so far.  I first noticed it yesterday evening, but who knows how long it's actually been gone.  

Anyone else seeing this?   As if I need another handicap to affect my sales ... Woman Frustrated

Perhaps some kind soul could click on my store icon, pick an item, any item, go to it and see if they can see the Categories on the left and let me know?  

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Sorry, I need to clarify my post -- apparently it's only the individual listings that are missing the Category section usually at the left.  I see the Categories show up on any main page under a category, but not when you click on the actual listings. 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Yes, it is gone from your listings. Still on store.

We're you doing any changes to your store or just viewing Manage Your Store and changed by accident?
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Oh 'poco', you always appear at just the right time, like the genie in the eBay bottle!  Woman Happy

I wasn't making any changes to my store, other than removing the "Vacation" setting I had on the other day because of horrible weather conditions.  

I did add a number of listings yesterday using "Sell Similar", but I've done that previously and it has never caused this issue.  I suppose if you're able to see that the categories are gone, it's not just my browser anymore, and I'd better contact somebody (Kalvin, can you help???).  

Oh dear, more issues...

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Maybe vacation settings removed it. This may be the glitch trigger.

Why not go to the store setting and turn it off save then turn it back on. This may reset it.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:
Maybe vacation settings removed it. This may be the glitch trigger.

Why not go to the store setting and turn it off save then turn it back on. This may reset it.

Actually, the vacation settings have been off for a couple of days now.  I just tried turning the vacation settings back on, left it like that for a few minutes, then turned them off.  No change.

I guess I can only sit and wait and hope things revert to normal in a day or so, otherwise I'll have to pursue it with the technical people.

Thanks for your assistance 'poco' , always appreciated!

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I meant to go and check where the listing frame for the store categories is and verify if it is turned on. I forget where it is (no store for a long time) but there is a store setting for this. It is not in with the regular store settings, it is by itself. I think it was called listing frame.

If it is on, then turn it off and save. Then turn it on and save. See if that makes any difference.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Could the problem be with Auctiva?

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Could the problem be with Auctiva?

No, I don't think so Pierre, because the "Categories" box is part of the eBay store feature set, and this problem has happened even on the older GTC listings that were set up months ago. 

I was composing listings only on eBay this week, not via Auctiva, although I used a couple of fairly recent listings I originally created on Auctiva as a basis to "Sell Similar".  However, I've done exactly the same thing several times in the past without problems.

Why this would suddenly happen with all my listings I can't imagine.  They've been stable for months.

I'll wait a day or two and see if this problem corrects itself spontaneously.  If not, I guess I have another time-wasting issue on my hands to deal with.  Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Here is an eBay.ca help page with Frequently Asked Question on eBay Stores.

http://pages.ebay.ca/storefronts/faq.html

The problem that you have is with the Listing Frame. There are several question on this in the Promoting Your store section.

I would suggest to go check those settings if they are on or off.

It may be an eBay glitch when your turned off the vacation setting or when you first turned on the vacation mode. Or you unknowingly turned it off somehow.

Personally, I would not wait if the issue has been there for 2 days (known days, might be longer?) but check the Listing frame setting status. Then I would turn on if it is off or toggle off and on to see if that fixes it.

But if you are not comfortable with this, you decide. From when I had a store, I remember toggling the store categories on and off as I was trying to figure out how many screen display pixels wide the Store Category took. I wanted to know how many pixels were left for the description. As I recall, the change was immediate and you did not have to end your browser session to see the change.

Hope this helps.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

It does look like a setting got changed.

Go to your store

Manage store

Listing Frame (on the left)

Under Store Header Features, make sure the first one is ticked off - Store header and left-navigation category list (first 30 categories that contain items)

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Hi 'poco' & 'pj' -- No, I'm afraid the problem is not the listing frame settings.  I've had my left navigation Category frame turned on for ages, probably years, have never changed it or fiddled with it, and have never had any problem until now.  I checked just now, and it's still toggled "on". 

I'm reluctant to try an "on/off" toggle reset as you suggest 'poco' , just in case I lose all my category frames, which would be much more serious.  At least at the moment they're still visible on my home page and on the main category pages, just not on the individual listings.  Fortunately some months ago I decided to duplicate a few of the main category links onto the store header bar, so at least those still show up above each listing.

I've got a group of fresh listings I have to get done today, so I won't have time to spend on the phone with hopeless east Asian ESL-challenged "customer service", but I'll have to do so if this persists for another 2 or 3 days.  Yechh.  I'll be listing the new items through Auctiva, so I'll find out if there's any difference in doing things that way.

This isn't the first time that things have suddenly "vanished" from my eBay store.  Two months ago it was my dashboard.  I'm hoping the same mysterious force that put that all back in order will appear this time too. womanfrustrated:

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Well, guess what?  Miraculously tonight everything is back where it should be, categories are there in each listing as usual.  

Just another weird eBay glitch.  I have no idea what happened or why...Woman Frustrated

Message 13 of 13
latest reply