Bidpay as an alternate

3jcc14
Community Member
Hi, I've started including Bidpay as a payment option (I have a bank account in the USA). Does anyone have any feedback about the service/speed of payments with Bidpay? Do you think it is a worthwhile alternate to Paypal. I received a pending payment today (not sure when it will officially clear) but the fees appear to be less than Paypal. Anyone have any thoughts?
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Bidpay as an alternate

treasure-pot
Community Member
The old BidPay was horribly slow for sellers - occasionally it would take weeks for payments to even be mailed.

I have nothing to say about to resurrected service as I don't use them. Once bitten - twice shy. They should not be considered as an alternative to PayPal. More appropriately you might consider them as an alternative to money orders / cashiers checks.

Bill treasure-pot

Bill

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Bidpay as an alternate

tobyshitzu
Community Member
The new bidpay is bidpay in name only, nothing like a money order, different company altogether.

Ask on CTS and you'll get a response for someone who uses it (and not paypal)...they seem happy with it.
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Bidpay as an alternate

treasure-pot
Community Member
It wil not replace PayPal... too many people have a very sour taste remaining from their initial go around with BidPay. It also does not have the convenience of PayPal.

I stand by what I said - it might be a replacement offering instead of money orders or cashiers checks. I did not suggest that they are like a money order.

According to their site, payments are direct deposited to your US bank account and "Payments are typically available within 3 banking days. Receipt of funds can take longer depending on processing by your bank or financial institution."

Bill treasure-pot

Bill

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Bidpay as an alternate

firedept10
Community Member
I still accept Bidpay but nobody seems to care to use them. They were always good at delivering the money orders but did take some time. Never really had a bad experience with them though.

Don
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Bidpay as an alternate

Bill

The "new" BidPay is not at all like the old one (which was a fantastic service for sellers).

The new version is simply a clone of PayPal, fees are almost identical, terms are very similar.

Even if you forget about the requirement for a US bank account the main roadblock to using BidPay is that few buyers are registered or even aware of the service.
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Bidpay as an alternate

treasure-pot
Community Member
Which is exactly why it will not replace Paypal as a legitimate service. I'm aware of the changes to the new service. Paypal has become so entwined with eBay that many buyers just won't consider using anything else. It is too easy to use Paypal. Sellers can ask for any variety of payment methods but, unless Paypal does something to drive away the buyers, sellers will still have to consider Paypal as the dominant payment method on eBay.

eBay likes to say that 90% of all transactions are paid through Paypal but I have to wonder if the ratio is not even higher than that.

Bill treasure-pot

Bill

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Bidpay as an alternate

eBay likes to say that 90% of all transactions are paid through Paypal

They may say that (and in a way it might be true) but you can tell by their financial statements that only about 50% of the VALUE of sales on eBay are paid using PayPal.

Certainly you are right about PayPal being the defacto standard. BidPay however can be useful for some countries where PayPal is not available.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Bidpay as an alternate

treasure-pot
Community Member
Well it could be if it were available to people that do not have US based bank accounts.

Bill treasure-pot

Bill

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Bidpay as an alternate

treasure-pot
Community Member
but you can tell by their financial statements that only about 50% of the VALUE of sales on eBay are paid using PayPal

I wouldn't dispute it too hard but I do have a feeling that percentage might be a little low. Obviously some of the bigger ticket items are less likely to be paid by Paypal (ie cars, trucks, property, etc) than by escrow services or alternate financing. In terms of the percentage of total transactions though, I still believe their figure of 90% may be a little low.

They have made that claim of 90% for at least two years. The safe payments policy initiative is more recent than that and it would certainly have knocked some of the less transparent and higher risk payment methods out of the calculations. Thats why I think it may be even higher.

Bill treasure-pot

Bill

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Bidpay as an alternate

bestshowtime
Community Member
"I wouldn't dispute it too hard but I do have a feeling that percentage might be a little low. Obviously some of the bigger ticket items are less likely to be paid by Paypal (ie cars, trucks, property, etc) than by escrow services or alternate financing. In terms of the percentage of total transactions though, I still believe their figure of 90% may be a little low."
To: treasure-pot.
If you land from powerseller board to regular board like "paypal" you will find very good statement from pierrelebel that only 45% transaction is going through paypal and 55% another type of payment.
If you really wrote book for "dummies", it is start to scare me!!!
Message 11 of 11
latest reply