Buyer claiming item never arrived...

I recently sold a package valued close to $1000 to a buyer (who declined insurance) and shipped it to him. the tracking number shows a sucessfull delivery but he claims he never received the package.

has anyone has a problem like this? I use canada post for shipping. if so what did you do and what happened? I allready called canada post to put a trace on it but im waiting for them to get back to me...
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

I have never shipped anything that valuable, but I would think the tracking number showing successful delivery should be enough proof that he received it. That is what tracking numbers are for. If he declined insurance he accepted the risk anyway. Maybe you should insist on insurance for items that valuable whether they like the extra cost or not. Good luck with it anyway.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
but I would think the tracking number showing successful delivery should be enough proof that he received it.

Sorry, but this is not the case if payment was made by Paypal. They require a signature is the item has a value over $250.

If he declined insurance he accepted the risk anyway.

Sorry, again not the case. Paypal insists that it is up to the seller to successfully deliver the item purchased whether insurance was paid for or not. Expensive items should never be shipped with insurance as an option.

Op, at this point you are best advised to secure the proof of delivery from CP and hope that you are dealing with a reasonable person at the other end. Otherwise you stand to lose the $1000 if it was paid by Paypal.

Bill treasure-pot

Bill

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
flasc-that's horrible man...what's his feedback like? any sort of history of this sort of thing? hopefully he's not scamming you...:-(
Kat
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

3jcc14
Community Member
A similiar thing happened to me. I shipped via Canada Post Expresspost Prepaid with Signature Required. The tracking showed the items were delivered but no online signature (about $350USD worth), buyer claimed he never got it. I ended up refunding him and filing a claim with Canada Post. I got $107 CAD back only because (according to Canada Post) I had put a Signature Required sticker on it and Canada Post never got a signture from the receiver. I hope your buyer is not messing with you!
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
why would you only get back 107 if you had requested a signature and canada post was the one who didn't get a signature????? sounds like b.s. to me, i wouldn't have put up with that?!?
Kat
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
i'm sending an 1100.00 item soon, expresspost so i can have a tracking number, and signature required. so does that mean i can get scammed too??
maybe i should just drive it over to her in the states like ann says..:|
Kat
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I sure am getting an education through the Discussion Board! It sounds like it is pretty risky to send anything by Canada Post that is valuable. I sell jewellery but it is not expensive. Small Packet includes insurance up to $100 but the postal employees told me that Canada Post will not cover jewelry because they say it is difficult to put a value on it. But how do you put a value on anything, e.g. antiques? It's value is basically what the market will bear. I hope everything works out for you flasc.
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

fenian
Community Member
I've found that paying extra for a "signature card is a total waste. The theory is good, but unfortunately, the postal clerks at the other end don't bother getting the addressee to sign the card, then remove it from the package and put it back in the mailstream before handing the package over. One returned out of 20 paid for would be better than my record. >>>>>... Fenian
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
well then what's the point? if we're doing our job as sellers to secure a proof of delivery, which is apparantly what we need, but cp workers don't bother with it, why should it be our responsibility?

am i missing something here??
Kat
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

nailz2002
Community Member
even though something is sent Xpresspost doesnt even guarentee it to get there. about a month ago i had a buyer complain because he got his payment returned to him even though it was sent xpresspost. turns out it actually went to a house down the street from me becuase the mailman made a "mistake". also the delivery men at CP dont even ask for ID. so if on the rare chance it goes to someone elses house and they sign for it, technically it has been signed for even if the actually buyer didnt recieve it. sometimes the sig means NOTHING.
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

well I think form now on im just going to include insurance in the price of shipping because this just sucks and if theres any problems like this ever again I cant afford to be out that kind of money.

I always assumed it was my responcibilty to sell the item put it in the mail and provide a tracking number. if it doesnt know up is that my problem? canada post's problem? because if its mine then whats to stop people form claiming they didnt receive stuff to get there money back and keep the item?? its almost incentive!

well ill keep my fingers crossed and see what happens I guess...
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
How did you ship the item? Did you use the PayPal Shipping Tool or the Online Business Center from Canada Post? If you use the OBC from Canada Post can you not specify card for pick up or do not safe drop or signature required? I can do that with Canadian shipments but don't use it for US ones so am unsure.

I know you cannot select options with the PayPal Shipping Tool. I don't like it and will not use the PP shipping tool.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Another thing to remember if using CanadaPOST is that neither Expedited or XpressPOST signature service will require that the PERSON NAMED on the waybill actually sign for the parcel - meaning that anyone who lives at the residence and/or answers the door can sign for it.

CanadaPOST only guarantees delivery to the ADDRESS and NOT TO THE PERSON NAMED on the waybill/shipping documents.

Only PUROLATOR SERvICE will actually draw the designated name signature (person named on the waybill).

We had a person in Montreal TRY TO SCAM us using this loophole in CanadaPOST's service. The buyer claimed to us that he lived in a SHARED RESIDENCE and that the house actually had 4 different one bedroom apartments and that someone else signed for the parcel and that he did not have it...he opened a PAYPAL dispute and we ended up winning it because we were able to show CONFIRMED DELIVERY to the PAYPAL confirmed address and a sigature for receipt at that address, even though the person who signed was not the actual buyer.

The best way to send expensive items over US$250 is FEDEX since with FEDEX you can demand that the PERSON NAMED ON THE WAYBILL actually sign for the item and if they are not there then FEDEX will NOT let anyone else sign for them.

The PAYPAL SELLER PROTECTION policy is clear that you have to have a signature from the person who bought the item and not from ANYONE ELSE at the residence. Therefore CANADAPOST EXPEDITED and/or XPRESSPOST does not provide this service and therefore should NOT BE USED for items valued at over US$250 otherwise if you do use those services then you do so at your own risk - this is what PAYPAL will tell you. Call and verify for yourself -- we did -- that is why we now only use FEDEX.

Another loophole we recently discovered that is open for potential abuse by shaddy bidders is the ability for a BUYER to buy and pay for an item and then change their mind for whatever reason and when FEDEX or USPS or UPS goes to deliver the parcel all they have to do is NOT ACCEPT DELIVERY/REFUSE DELIVERY. The parcel is then resent back to you the seller you are now forced to refund since PAYPAL policy is that if they DO NOT have possession of the item then you MUST REFUND ALL MONIES, including shipping costs. Plus on top of that you are out monies not only for shipping but if you shipped to the USA you will pay brokerage plus return shipping costs too -- nice eh!

We recently lost $100 because a buyer pulled this scam on us.

Anyhow, back to more fun times answering stupid email questions.

Cheers,

TIM @ FTL

Regards,

TIM @ FTL

Cheers,

FTL
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

3jcc14
Community Member
Regarding discussion #4. I only got $107 back because the base insurance was for $100.00 CAD and I didn't purchase extra. The CP Agent on the phone was clear that because the item was coming up "delivered", I was only getting approved for the claim because no signature was obtained but was requested by me.
Message 15 of 15
latest reply