Buyer claims they have moved - How will this play out?

Greetings,

I am wondering if there is potential here to be ripped off. Buyer orders item, which I ship the next morning. 2 days later I receive a message from them that they'd like the item to go to a different address because they've recently moved. It's too late for that, and due to the nature of the item, no tracking is used.

Is this a potential loss for me, or will Ebay side with me after seeing the message from the buyer proving it's their fault?

Thanks,
Chris

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Buyer claims they have moved - How will this play out?

@captivatemedia wrote:

Greetings,

I am wondering if there is potential here to be ripped off. Buyer orders item, which I ship the next morning. 2 days later I receive a message from them that they'd like the item to go to a different address because they've recently moved. It's too late for that, and due to the nature of the item, no tracking is used.

Is this a potential loss for me, or will Ebay side with me after seeing the message from the buyer proving it's their fault?

Thanks,
Chris

Yes, it is a potential loss however it is possible that the item will be sent back to you.

At this point, I would tell the buyer that as soon as you receive the item back, you will contact them to see if they want a refund or to have the item sent to the new address. It's possible that they will realize it is their fault and that they will be patient. But if they open a claim, it's unlikely that ebay will rule in your favour regardless of what the buyer has told you. If there is no delivery confirmation showing that the item has been delivered to the paypal address, they almost always rule in favor of the buyer.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I'm assuming the buyer's original address was shown on both his eBay and Paypal account, and that he sent his after-the-fact message to you through eBay's message system?  If so, whether the item either is sent back to you as undeliverable/addressee moved (which is likely), or it goes completely astray (which I think is unlikely), you should have a fairly clear case to present to eBay in the event the buyer opens a dispute for non-receipt. 

If not too many days have passed since that first message from the buyer, I'd personally try sending him a note (through eBay) asking whether he put in a change of address card at the Post Office, and you'll have to explain to him -- as nicely as you can while biting your tongue -- that if he didn't do so, the parcel will probably be returned to you, and you'll refund him in full once it eventually arrives.  Make sure you tell him this could be a few weeks.  You can tell him that if he did put in a change of address card, chances are very good he'll get his parcel, albeit with some delay, and ask him to wait a week or two to see if it shows up. 

Whether he actually replies to you or not, this CYA email will be more evidence in your favour if required for case purposes.

IMO the buyer is clearly at fault for his own problems.  Surely he could have updated his address on eBay/Paypal if he intended to make an eBay purchase. 

There is of course always the possibility this is a scam, but I can't think of how the original buyer (who I assume paid for the item) would benefit by having his parcel re-routed to another address.  My guess is that this is just one of those "duhhh??" situations.  Keep us posted on the outcome. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I wanted to add that you should make sure you print out and hang onto the page(s) from eBay and/or Paypal that show his original address and the date(s), as well as his email to you -- this should go a long way in supporting your side of the situation if the buyer opens an INR case.  Even if you can't prove delivery, you can prove the buyer's address was incorrect (by his own admission). 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Oh, yes, and personally, with a buyer like this, I would refund if the item gets returned to you, rather than offering him the option to send it back again.  That could get you into a whole new area of problems. 

Sorry about the 3 posts - I tried to edit my original post but couldn't.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I usually print a page that includes the purchase and address on paypal. However, I send it along with the item and don't keep a copy. Better record keeping is definitely on my list of to-do's.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Sweetly tell her that when she filed her Change of Address at the Post Office before she moved that took care of the problem since all her mail, including parcels will go to the new address.

And then politely tell her that since the parcel is still in transit, if she had not remembered to file that Change of Address yet, there is certainly time.

I once worked for a kid who, when he moved from Ottawa to Calgary, decided that his sub-tenant would send on all his mail and the Change of Address was unnecessary. Two months later, he phoned to ask why his severance cheque of $6000 had not been received. 'Because David, your sub-tenant has not been sending on your mail. Which is why I told you to file a Change of Address with Canada Post."

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

"and don't keep a copy."

It would be useful to have a printed copy at tax time, more so at tax audit time if your tax returns ever get audited (it does happen regularly with Canadian eBay sellers)

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Just went through this exact scenario and eBay rules in favor of the buyer. Totally wrong - I have proof of shipping on my receipt, but they say 'anybody could get a receipt and claim they shipped the item'. Seriously? Who would do that, as a seller?? Contact your buyer and advise them to put a change of address in with their post office.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply