Buyers not paying for items

nxtdriver
Community Member
Since ebay changed the rules for not being able to leave neg fb, I now have alot of buyers who email me and say they won't pay. Anyone else in the same boat?
Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

I have had a significant increase in non paying bidders. Currently, 7 sitting with open disputes awaiting responses. 😐 and normally I have maybe 1 every couple of months.

Janice
Message 2 of 42
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
I've rarely had to file NPB disputes. However, this month of May has been a doozie. I've filed 5. Two were resolved immediately...simply the buyers weren't back to their computers. No biggie.

Two...never heard from at all. Disputes are closed now. And, I even left feedback that said something to the effect, "I had hoped for a positive transaction, but buyer never paid."

And, one...in Canada...I actually took the time to call her. She said, "Oh, I'm sorry. I don't have any money so I'm not going to finish the transactions. Just go ahead and relist them. It's okay with me."

*LOL*

I explained to her that once I put through 13 complaints that she would probably not be on eBay any longer.

She said, "That's okay. I'll shop elsewhere!"

So, yes....an increase in nonpaying bidders for me THAT ARE UNRESOLVED.

I, personally, give buyers the option to mutually cancel the transaction(s), but some buyers won't answer their e-mails so there's no way to work with them.

All in a day!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 3 of 42
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
As I wrote one seller- welcome to the NEW WORLD OF eBay.
I will send my payment when it's convenient for me.

For too long- many sellers have written things like- payment must be received within 48 hours of auctions close- or something like that.
AND- they used to threaten NEGATIVE FEEDBACK- and the option of immediately relisting the item.

WELL- times have changed.
You are free as a seller to file a NPB Alert, AFTER the number of days eBay deems appropriate. Not your percieved length of time to receive payment.
And- as a seller you may relist accordingly.
(noting that I may file a complaint as a non-selling seller- if your rush things.)

HOWEVER- all the rights as a buyer have not changed much- and my timing options to pay have just been a bit more 'libralized'. FOR THOSE SELLERS THAT DON'T TAKE PAYPAL- don't expect me to rush out a payment the next day after the auction. It just isn't going to happen.
Message 4 of 42
latest reply

tea_past_times
Community Member
But stay optimistic!!
Message 5 of 42
latest reply

I always arrange the cancellation before filing mutual agreement. But if I could not communicate to the buyer and he would not respond I'd just file Unpaid Item Claim for fees.

Sometimes I oversell but I have good supplier and am able to replenish fast. Last week I sold two items in much higher quantities than I stock so I almost placed an order, but fortunately they canceled before otherwise I would be sitting on that item for another 2-3 months.
Message 6 of 42
latest reply

momosworld
Community Member
Lina-Mallows,

you act like you're for the buyer, well the buyer if bidding IMO should pay right away, not make us wait forever to receive the payment, then just don't bid on the item right? I'm pretty sure I'm correct here, unless you're sending a M.O, PayPal merely takes a few minutes.

Anyhow, why send a rude email like that to a seller when you are a seller yourself? It makes no sense at all & its not our fault this is happening, its eBay's, as a matter of fact, its the new CEO whos making all these stupid decisions.

Non-paying bidders, extortion, here we come & remember, we still lose our listing fees!

Not even IMO, but the truth.
Moez.

My mommy says i'm cool

Message 7 of 42
latest reply

jewelry_quest
Community Member
Hi All;

First of all in my opinion shopping and buying on Ebay is similar to shopping in a store except it is more convenient. You can sit and stay home save on transportation costs such as gas and wear and tear on your vehicle etc. and have the item shipped to your door never having to leave your home and you can do it in your pajama's without having to get all dolled up and go out! LOL In all seriousness though a buyer should look at buying on Ebay in much the similar way. In a store you have to pay right away you can't hold off payment unless you have a lay away payment plan. Therefore a buyer should have the same respect to a seller in regards to prompt payment. As for non paying bidders I have had an increase of them as well this month since the new feedback changes. Buyers now know we sellers can't leave them negative or neutral anymore and we can't affect their feedback. Sure after a certain amount of times a buyer hasn't paid sellers then they are off Ebay although this fact doesn't stop the buyer from doing it to sellers. The non paying buyers also know that they can always come back on Ebay under a new nic name there are ways around the Ebay system in that regard it's a well known fact. So us sellers now have to put up with alot of bull@%&* from non paying bidders as well as difficult bidders. I think Ebay needs to open their eyes as we sellers say "HELLO we sellers are Ebay's bread and butter!" Without us there would be NO EBAY! All these new policy changes and feedback changes are not helping us sellers any nor is Ebay helping their own company with all this new crap! It's kind of hard to stay optimistic in an environment that is now more negatie then positive for a seller! But I do try!
Message 8 of 42
latest reply

HI,

I have seen an small increase in the number of folks not paying or even communicating after the auction closed. In the past 5 years, I have had maybe half a dozen. In the past month, I had two, both buyers with zero feedback. I left negative feedback for one only 2 days before the new rules took effect.

Since the new rules are in place, I am taking a no nonsense approach to winning bidders. I will send out 4 invoice notifications in total. On the last notice, I will kindly mention that if I do not get a response by the 7th day of auction end, I will automatically refer the matter to Ebay by filing a dispute. If this does get a reply, I automatically close the dispute after the appropriate period and have Ebay impose a nonpaying bidder strike and I block the bidder.

It saves a lot of aggravation and emotional hand wringing by just taking a matter of fact approach to all transactions. Over all however, my experience with buyers has been exceptionally good. Considering that my record of dealings has been virtually problem free, I guess I was due to have my share.

Whether the rule changes are explain this recent spate of non-payers remains to be seen. I would rather believe that I was due for some bad apples to turn up.
Message 9 of 42
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
momosworld-"...well the buyer if bidding IMO should pay right away"

I disagree.
eBay well provides for "IMMEDIATE PAYMENT REQUIRED" mechanisms.
If a seller chooses not to avail themselves of this, then why should I be REQUIRED to pay immediately? If a seller EXPECTS IMMEDIATE PAYMENT- then it's up to the seller to act accordingly.

I am for the buyer. That is a fact. Having sold thousands of items on eBay- those numbers will slow considerably, as I move back to being a buyer. eBay has just made it far too sexy not to be. Besides- a savvy buyer can make for more money than a seller. And all that without having to deal with buyers. Who, just as an aside- I am totally fed up with! I refuse now to answer a question that is clearly stated in the description. If you as a buyer cannot read the description- PLEASE SHOP ELSEWHERE!
I will go to great lengths to make a customer happy- however, I will not be taken for a fool. Play games- and you get blocked. Being in very niche collectible market- don't expect to be able to buy at too many other eBay sellers- We do share our information, and respect each other's opinion of who should be blocked.

I have purchased more items than I have ever sold on eBay.
And- I may well be the BUYER from hell!
However- in the 'virtual world' that eBay would have us live in- there is not a level playing field. And being a buyer is a VICTORIOUS thing !!!

I have been fed up far too long with sellers- MOST ESPECIALLY POWER SELLERS who think they can simply write whatever they want in a description. And, follow it through with whatever rules, or variations thereof, that they THINK they can get away with.

I am always amazed in the belief that a BUYER should PAY IMMEDIATELY by PayPal- yet be given seven-ten days (or longer) if sending a payment by mail. GET REAL EVERYONE! Not everyone has ALL THEIR MONEY instantly available to them. So, I purchase an expensive item- and when I get my 'paycheck' I can pay. Until then- what's the BIG deal ????

You will be PAID- but on my terms, consistent with eBay policy. NOt based on a seller's expectations.

If I don't play by eBay rules, I won't be around for long.
Having been around eBay for the past eight years, I obviously haven't committed such egregious acts, so as to have been booted off!

So- I will continue to NEG where neccessary. Pay on my terms, and my schedule. If I choose to purchase an IMMEDIATE PAYMENT REQUIRED ITEM- that's my choice. HOWEVER- I will not put up with seller's who think they can constantly bully buyers into accepting THEIR TERMS!

Having purchased over 850 (only that evidenced by FB received) through this account alone, as well as even more through others, I have some experience as a buyer. And- playing here in POWER SELLER FORUM has only reinforced my opinion that many POWER SELLERS are totally undeserving of this title. And, I am more than happy that many will fall under eBay's NEW guidelines. I will not lose any sleep over their loss.
This isn't a case of taking pleasure in other's misfortunes- it just the simple realization that some people are way too hung up on the minutia, and fail to see the bigger picture. There's far to life than eBay. And far more to eBay than being concerned about DSR's, and FEEDBACK.

Accurately describe, attempt to deliver the item ion a reasonable time frame, and at a reasonable cost. Beyond that- stop worrying about the buyers from hell. They will always be there- and no matter what you do- and no matter how hard you try- they will get you one day. Just have the wisdom to not let it get to you! IT'S ONLY eBay!

Pet peeves- 1) Seller's who answer questions- IN WRITING- and then claim that that was not what they meant. Yeah right- return the item, and spend more money, only to receive back less than initially paid- not with me!
You get a NEG- and I keep the item, accepting only the initial loss.

2) Seller's who CLEARLY state a SHIPPING COST (not a calculated one) and then proceed to DEMAND MORE for shipping. (eBay will DO NOTHING!)

3) Seller's who CHARGE FOR ONE TYPE OF DELIVERY- and without any consent OPT for another. i.e. The SELLER so impressed with their NEW UPS account- sends an expensive item to Canada- rather than PRIORITY MAIL- as agreed and PAID FOR! EXTRA - REAL MONEY COST for ERROR ON SELLER'S PART- over $50 extra dollars for needless UPS fees! (Canada Post charges a flat C$5, or $7 in addition to the expected duties/takes to be paid)

4) SELLER'S WHO LIE ON A CUSTOM'S FORM. We are a business. Taxes are a part of that business. The needless delays for the misrepresentation of items sent sometimes lead to lengthy delays.
GIVE ME A BREAK- how many "GIFTS" can we possibly be receiving as a 'bricks and mortar' business?
HONEST DECLARATIONS ARE A MUST! No matter how many times I stress this to a seller- they can most certainly expect a NEGATIVE for a totally dishonest/fraudulent declaration.

One last thing to throw into the fray- what do leave as a DSR/feedback for a POWER SELLER- specializing in SCARCE COLLECTIBLE ITEMS- in the UK who ships to CANADA- TWO ROYAL DOULTON BOWLS- simply placed in bubble pack- with a SINGLE sheet of paper separating the two bowls?
What were these people thinking ????????
Message 10 of 42
latest reply

Not paying for it is not bad!

I am afraid now that they can say it was never received and then get their money back from a paypal claim, then you lose everything (item, money, ebay fees) 😞
Message 11 of 42
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
marcopoloca- BINGO!

There are far more advantages for an honest (or even a dishonest) buyer on eBay- than there are for any honest seller.

So- going back to buying is a far more advantageous proposition.
Message 12 of 42
latest reply

Ok I have a good one, a buyer bought some parts from me, I sent him 3 invoices and filed an UPI after 3 weeks, no reply from the buyer, got my FVF back. Now it's 61 days since the purchase, this buyer emails me and says "JUST TO TELL I WANTED TO CANCEL THAT ITEM BECAUSE THATS THE WRONG ONE.IM SO SORRY BOUT THE HASSLE." I decided in this case to ask "This was dealt with 61 days ago, what is the reason to get in touch with me after all this time? LORE" B-)
Message 13 of 42
latest reply

what is the reason to get in touch with me after all this time?

Not everybody lives on eBay. It sometimes takes me month to respond to an email, sometimes it stays forever in my Draft folder unfinished.

Maybe the buyer did not know what to say. Always offer them an easy way out and it should help the comms.
Message 14 of 42
latest reply

I did, I always give them a way out, and I did the same with this guy, but come on, 2 months is a little out there when it really gets down to it.
Message 15 of 42
latest reply

eureka9988
Community Member
I seem to have more buyers who do not pay and also more "items never arrived". Since we cannot leave negative feedback to buyers there are going to be some buyers who take advantage of this. If I don't offer either a refund or to ship a second (in one case, third) item I will receive negative feedback. Guess I need to stop being intimidated by the potential negative feedback but I only have one negative feedback that is warranted - the rest are not. Something seems amiss here!
Renee
Message 16 of 42
latest reply

Most of my negatives are unwarranted. I only think I actually 'earned' one of them.

The NEUTRALS are killing me though. In some cases, items were listed that we didn't have in stock and couldn't get a quick restock. We refund the money immediately and apologize, explaining the situation and offering a replacement or a refund.

They give 'neutral'. Fair enough. But now the feedback drops to abysmal levels due to this series of events that happened over 6 months ago.

Sheesh.
Message 17 of 42
latest reply

I have definitely had an increase in non-payers. I opened yet another UID the other day and within hours the buyer was NARU. She had 60 FB and 100% positive but must have racked up too many unpaid items in a short period of time...probably since the new FB policy came into effect.

Normally I get no more than one a month or less.
Message 18 of 42
latest reply

for_baby_and_you
Community Member
because of the "Best Much" B@#$% S@#$% my sales are 90% down.
thanks to new feedback system I received payments for 12 out of 36 last sold items.

Kasha

Message 19 of 42
latest reply

My sales dropped considerably as well. I'm selling about 1/3 of what I used to. 😞

John
Message 20 of 42
latest reply